UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> which branch=best opportunities

3/25/04 4:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-04

hey guys..i'm 18 and about to graduate high school, and want to get an insiders view on what is available as far as education goes in each branch of service. I've really been thinking Marines just because I like things hardcore..that and my family doesnt think i could do it...any info is awesome
3/25/04 4:45 PM
CoreNobody
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

USAF if you want to get a job after.
3/25/04 4:51 PM
UncleGrappler
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on what field. Many tech fields, the USAF provides great experience and looks good on a resume. General leadership and structured environment comfort accompanies USArmy experience. Many law enforcement fields look fondly on all military experience, especially Marines.
3/25/04 4:51 PM
rampage68
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

USAF has a lot of good jobs and opportunities. Very good living conditions and some attractive women, too. Most Air Force people are very smart. This is a great branch of the military; you can have a fine career in the USAF. Marines= teufelhunden.
3/25/04 6:56 PM
grambo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was Army, so i may be somewhat biased: Air Force!!! I kicked myself in the ass everyday during my tour for not joining the AF after i saw how good they had it compaired to the other branches.
3/25/04 7:06 PM
grambo

"that and my family doesnt think i could do it." Be careful with this. If you really want to be highspeed, and at the same time know you're getting into something good, try to get into the AF para-rescue program. If you don't make it, then at least you'll be living nice in the AF. Pararescue is hardcore i assure you. If your family thinks a common marine is a better trained tool of the government than a pj, educate them.
3/25/04 7:11 PM
noshame
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Pararescue is hardcore i assure you. If your family thinks a common marine is a better trained tool of the government than a pj, educate them." As a Marine, I agree. PJ's get more (and higher speed) training than the average Marine. On the other side of the coin- the average Marine gets MUCH better training than all services (excepting special forces). no shame
3/25/04 8:05 PM
Major Bob

MikeFL152, Of course I'm extremely biased; one point of the Army sponsoring this site is to show the link between MMA and the Army's combative programs. If you have MMA goals, the Army is a good compliment to those as well as your professional goals. I know the USMC has it's own system of self-defense but I'm not familiar with it and can't comment. There are certain USAF (ie PJ's) and Navy (ie SEALs) specialties that also incorporate self defense, however, every soldier has Combatives in their training. The best place to get all the info on Army oppurtunities you need is www.goarmy.com or go to your local recruiter. You can email me at robert.cejka@usarec.army.mil and I'll pass on some POC's. Major Bob
3/25/04 9:42 PM
funkywb

I just got out of the ARMY in November & 3 months later I got a job working as an Engineer in Alanta. I am biased as well, but I know that a lot of tech companies hire straight out of the ARMY. I learned a lot while I was in. Everything from being responsible to electronic engineering. It payed for my degree as well. It was exactly as I had planned it. My cousin was a recruter & gave me the low down. Take your time, & pick your job carefully. DO NOT just take what is available.
3/26/04 10:32 PM
fintheman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Mar-04
That is the problem with going into the USAF. USAF will tell you what you wanna do, and its very hard to get a "certain" job. I could probably get in trouble for saying this, but, I had some shady shit happen to me when I enlisted. Basically - I was told I could not get on a job with an SJC code (means I can't get security clearances) I am currently processing a Top Secret/SCI I was told I could not get any of the 3C jobs because of this, and probably lost an opportunity to work with the technology I am most familiar with. The Air Force doesn't care about First Termers, no matter what you know, how much experience you had before you came in, or what college education you posess. You will do the job they tell you to do, even though its a total waste of "knowledge"
3/27/04 10:10 AM
woodlandssniper

Edited: 27-Mar-04
Being in the marine corps does not make you harder. You yourself are always going to be responsible for that. If you want the opportunity to be the most skilled and educated field operator than you need to go AF pj's or army sf. The marine corps elite operators have a fraction of the schooling that these groups have unless its someone who has been in for a long time, meaning at least two enlistments, and has been extremely lucky to get the slots for schools. If your just looking for regular skills for jobs after the air force or army offers better fields and they will treat you with more respect then your fellow marines do.
3/27/04 11:01 AM
saint39

My understanding now is that the Chair Force will allow you to pick a job when you enlist(they used to make you wait until boot camp and then throw a few choices at you). But you cannot contract for PJ/CCT like you can contract for Ranger/SF/SEAL in the other services. If you are looking for something that will help you get a good job when you get out, then look for something related to what you want to do. Don't pick something just cause "it makes you hard." Being hard gets old after awhile. If you are just looking for something that will give you a good civilian job, then go to college, because coming out of the military looking for employment sucks if you don't have certifications in whatever field, which most military tech jobs don't give you.
3/27/04 6:42 PM
ChristPuncher

Being hard is great when you are young.........but I know a few 35+ year olds who never wanna see a ruck again. AF, in general (doesn't apply to PJ/CCT/TACP,etc), is going to be the laxest.
3/28/04 1:32 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-04 01:26 PM
I always tell people this when they ask this question: It all depends on what you want to do and what you want to get out of it. If you want some kind of skill that you can use for the rest of your life, a good career start or school... go Air force. Lots of time to improve yourself and they live great with a light work schedule if you want to do crazy shit that is cool like stuff you see in movies then Army or USMC. (I push army) but i make sure to let you know that the time for self improvment (school, career minded stuff) is limited to non existent. also, moving up the ranks is usually ALOT slower in these fields. (tho you'd assume that the men actually doing these jobs would move up the fastest... THEY DONT!) I got out with 7 years in the army (scout observer/sniper, LRSC)and all i'm really qualified to do is law enforcment, Gov't work or criminal!! non of which is really worth doing in my opinion... of course I wouldnt trade what i did in the army for ANYTHING, EVER
3/29/04 8:19 AM
FullBlastJKD

Edited: 29-Mar-04
The..ehem..Chair Force, as you so lovingly put it, DOES allow you to pick the job you want. The deal is, they want to put you where they think they can use you. That being said. The recruiters will try to tell you a lot of mess about picking 5 jobs because you might not get the one you want but that if you put the one you want at the top of your list, you have a higher chance of getting it. This strategy is called "Open General". You MIGHT get the top job you picked, but most often than not, you will get Security Forces (MP). Here is the 'trick' to getting what you want. The recruiter HAS to show you what is the required ASVAB score requirement for the job you are interested in. So, let's say you pick a computer related job and you score high enough on your ASVAB. AND...you have no legal, financial, or medical problems (by the way, Asthema is a condition that will get the door shut on you) you will be recommended to go to the MEPS (processing station to get med check and paperwork started). Once there, you will see another set of recruiters that will go over everything and they will once again recommend this or that job, or for you to go in 'open general'...they will also tell you when the next class date is for your chosen job. Ok, here is where the recruiters bag people. They will ask you when you want to leave to go to basic and start things off. Let's say you tell them July. Well, they will probably try to feed you some garbage and tell you that the class you want doesn't start until such and such day in August, so you should go open general in order to get that class. Basically, this is what you do. Tell them you want only one job. Now, this only applies if you do NOT want to go into Para-Rescue, Combat Control, or TACP (forward air controller). If you want one of those jobs, then you have to go in open general. If not, then tell the AF you want job X and you want it "Guaranteed" and that you don't care when you go to basic or the follow on Tech School (AIT for my Army homeboys). This will get you the job you want. And you have to stick to your guns on this. They will try like hell to get you to go 'open general' and as I said, it is only viable if you really don't care what you get to do, or you want one of the 'special' jobs.
3/29/04 1:12 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Mar-04 01:08 PM
FullBlastJKD is correct. I know the army gets ALOT of people like this. The SF/ Ranger/ etc contracts are kinda sketchy because they are based on the idea that you will pass all the schools and courses necassary leading up to achieving those goals.... Which I have to be honest and say you probably WONT... especialy right off the street! Those courses have a high as hell attrition rate with guys that have time in and are experienced! never mind you... who dont know shit and once you bomb out of one of the many schools you have to pass, you go 'needs of the army' which means they send you were they couldnt get any other suckers to go If you want be Ranger or SF or anything like that, go infantry and pick better things like garanteed duty station or something. once your in, anyone (in combat arms) has the chance to go to ranger school and try out for SF and stuff. and youll try when your better prepared to actually pass. And it doesnt have anything to due with you being tough or in shape enough to pass either. It took me 2 tries at pre-Ranger for getting hurt and 2 tries at ranger school for something as fucking stupid as getting peered because i was an NCO going through with a bunch of officers. (who most would have gotten dropped themselves if it wasnt for me squaring them away...bastards)and i was no slouch coming from the LRS teams.
3/29/04 8:52 PM
grambo

Edited: 29-Mar-04
"If you want be Ranger or SF or anything like that, go infantry and pick better things like garanteed duty station or something. once your in, anyone (in combat arms) has the chance to go to ranger school and try out for SF and stuff. and youll try when your better prepared to actually pass." This is some of the best advice i've seen on here. I wish someone told me this when i enlisted. I went army, infantry option 40(ranger), then got hurt jumping in airborne school. Cya kid, i was off to finish my infantry tour in Alaska lol.
3/30/04 12:38 PM
DevilDawg
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Mar-04
Airforce - Great living quarters, opportunities to get higher education. One of my buddies came in with a associates, he finished his bachelors and his masters within his first enlistment.
3/30/04 12:56 PM
Wa Grappler

Edited: 30-Mar-04 12:51 PM
MikeFL152 It really depends on what your goals are. Your priorities, short and long term goals. Each service has something better to offer depending on what your looking for. You could probably get better insight from the guys if you can be more specific. If hardcore is your goal, excitement, ect. I think the Army has the best to offer. Many opportunities in Spec Ops in the Army even right off the streets (Ranger, Green Beret, Delta, and others). The other services have their Spec Ops but not to the diversity and opportunity as the Army.
4/9/04 6:35 PM
Shug333

Edited: 09-Apr-04
if you want info go to www.usmilitary.about.com
4/9/04 10:15 PM
trainedkilla

Edited: 09-Apr-04
Airborne Ranger Need I say anything else? :) J/K!!
4/14/04 6:31 PM
Embalmer

Edited: 14-Apr-04
What?! Nobody is recommending the NAVY? Sheeesh. *goes back to ironing his crackerjacks*
4/14/04 10:23 PM
GrandpaB

Go Navy. Top rate schools, learn a good trade, excellent possibility of continuing your education while on active duty. Shipboard life does not have the amenities that the Air Force provides but you almost always get to shower every day, get hot chow, have a gym available, etc. Be prepared for lots of hard work and to miss out on some sleep. The upside is that shipboard life is like no other in the world, it may get in your blood and you just love it. Grandpab
4/14/04 10:48 PM
skinlikewinter

FullBlastJKD is totally right. I didn't know that prior to enlisting in the USAF and came in open general. Thankfully, I ended up with a decent job (Bioenvironmental Engineering). I can only say what I've went through, which is working 7:30 - 4:30 M-F, with no weekends or other nonsence. Not all jobs will be like that though. If you're looking for a chilling job where you can routinely take classes, I'd recommend going for something medical that doesn't actually see patients or some personnel kind of job. If you want that gung-ho stuff, go for Pararescue, TACP, or Combat Control.
4/18/04 9:10 PM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Apr-04
thanx for all of the info/advise guys, but its done now(Marines)....went through MEPS thurs/friday, got decent test scores..77 AFQT% 119mm 123gt 122el 113cl gonna go in(supposedly) for electronic maintenance..everybody voice your thoughts/opinions please.. PS...the physical sucks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.