UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> April update...

3/31/04 11:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-04

Hello, How ya doing? Can you believe it's already April? Here are the updates for April: 1. The Harris Academy will be closed Monday through Friday, April 5-9, 2004 for remodeling. Please spread the word around so that everybody knows. If you have questions, please e-mail Mr. Harris at pfs@sprintmail.com 2. There are a few new instructor courses available: The first JKD/FMA Level One Instructor course in September of 2004. The second JKD/FMA Level One Instructor course in February of 2005. The first JKD/FMA Level Two Instructor course in June of 2005. More info coming soon about these. 3. There is currently a DVD sale on RoyHarris.com through Sunday, April 4. 4. There is a new class schedule: Tuesdays - 6pm Kali class, 7pm BJJ no gi class and the 8pm BJJ gi class now taught by Mr. Roy Dean! Wednesdays - 6pm Guard Passing class, 7pm Wrestling class taught by Mr. Luke Pomerantz and the 8pm Half guard class taught by Mr. Jeff Baldwin. Everything else is the same! 5. Congratulations to the following people: Dan Swift of Erie, PA and Mike Rooney of Erie, PA. Dan tested for his purple belt at the BJJ seminar in Erie just last weekend. Mike Rooney took the blue belt examingation and passed with flying colors! Help me congratulate both of these gentlemen! 6. Here is the April and May 2004 seminar schedule: April 3-4 Privates and semi-privates in Northern, CA. April 17-18 A BJJ seminar in Lyndonville, VT. April 25 A collar choke seminar in San diego, CA at the Harris Academy. May 1-10 A BJJ/JKD/FMA seminar series in Obertshausen, Germany. May 23 An intermediate level guard passing seminar at the Harris Academy. May 29-30 A BJJ seminar in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. 7. The new Harris Academy t-shirts will be available next week. 8. I am almost finished with the additional content for BJJ 201. (Plus, the additional footage for BJJ 101 is back up on the site. Good training to all of you, Roy Harris
4/2/04 11:08 AM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-04
Modern Self-Defense Center
Mr. Harris, I am looking forward to hearing more about the JKD/FMA instructor course (when you have time, of course). I am also curious: Since training in Kalis Ilustrisimo has changed your personal approach to FMA, has it also changed the progression you teach and manner in which you present foundational skills for FMA? ~TT
4/2/04 12:48 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris, The JKD/FMA instructor course will cover the JKD and Filipino Martial Arts material I was personally taught by Sifus Rick Faye, Dan Inosanto, Salem Assli and Paul Vunak. The course will also include some of my own personal discoveries (e.g. my own trapping structure for boxing and kickboxing, my own methods of entry, my own methods of feints, etc..) The FMA I was taught was a mix of various styles. It is this material that will be taught at the instructor's course, not Kalis Ilustrisimo. Kalis Ilustrisimo is a sword based art, everything begins with the sword. To gain the most benefit out of beginning training, a student must begin with sword training. Since I am only at the beginning level of instructorship and since I have promised my instructors in the Philippines that I will not change, modify or add to what I have been taught (with respect to the sword), Kalis Ilustrisimo (as an art) will not be taught at the instructor's course. Right now, I am only beginning to learn how to teach Kalis Ilustrisimo. I have a long way to go. So, I am only teaching it to a select group of students here in San Diego. As I teach it to them, I am learning more about the art and myself. To make sure I am not changing any of the sword work, I maintain contact with my instructors in the PI. I ask them questions and send them videos of my teaching and my training. This way, they can correct me if I begin to error. Kalis Ilustrisimo has changed the way I view footwork, distancing and bladework. However, I still teach the FMA I was taught by Inosanto, Faye and Vunak. I have not discarded it. Good training to you, Roy Harris
4/2/04 1:44 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, that answers my question and more! :-) I'm really looking forward to attending one of those courses! ~Chris
4/2/04 1:58 PM
Roy Harris

Chris, Just like I organized the BJJ material that was presented to me, I also organized the JKD/FMA material that was presented to me. The courses will be divided into segments: Level One Level Two Level Three Level Four Level Five Level Six Each segment will focus on a couple of different areas within JKD/FMA. This will allow me to organize the information in the student's mind and allow him or her to present JKD/FMA in a progressive structure. Once the structure has been understood and attained, it can be discarded. Roy Harris
4/2/04 2:31 PM
twinkletoesCT

6 levels, wow! That will definitely keep me busy! Won't Hope be happy to hear that! :-) ~TT PS - I took it as a given that you have developed a sensible progression and comprehensive organizational structure for the training methods. I really can't picture you just "throwing some info out there" without some serious planning.
4/2/04 3:32 PM
Roy Harris

From my point of view, it is difficult to progress without structure. It is very difficult to know where you are and where you need to go without a road map. This is something I think some people miss, especially those who go from style to style, collecting technique after technique. I have made the effort to organize JKD and FMA so that my instructors will be able to give their students both a panoramic view and a close up, microscopic view of the JKD/FMA training methodology. Roy Harris
4/2/04 5:00 PM
bjjrookie79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello Mr. Harris, Is a Level One Instructor considered an apprentice instructor and is a Level Six Instructor a Full Instructor? If not, can you please give a break down of the levels. Also, are there any prerequisites for attending the course? Thanks.
4/2/04 5:20 PM
bjjrookie79

Mr. Harris, Oh yeah, I forgot to ask you if you will be coming out with a JKD/Kali instructional anytime soon? Thanks again.
4/2/04 7:36 PM
Roy Harris

bjjrookie79, A Level One Instructor is a "level one instructor." I am no longer using the terms apprentice, phase one and full. I am not sure how the association names will progress. I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it. This new instructor's course is different from all others. I am choosing to use different terminology to separate myself from most of the others. My JKD/FMA association will be different from the rest. For starters, there will be an instructor's course, just like my current grappling association. Second, there will be a progression in training (rather than just a conglomeration and collection of techniques), just like my current grappling association. Third, there will be continued and follow up training that progresses through the different levels, just like my current grappling association. This follow up training will be in the form of private and semi-private lessons, quarterly video update, an instructional CD-ROM and a few other surprises. Fourth, my instructors will establish a community of practitioners who want to learn, share and grow, just like my current grappling association. Fifth, I will not allow bad or silly politics to play ANY role in the association, just like my current grappling association. Sixth, there will be an instructor's only forum on the Harris International Forums, just like my current grappling association. This instructor's only forum will allow my instructors to have access to me so that they can ask questions and have those questions answered by video, just like my current grappling association. Do you see how this association will be different from the others? So much of the new JKD/FMA association will be run like my current grappling association. Since I began my association in 1999, I have certified about 100 people. Those who remain are those who have demonstrated the character I was looking for in an instructor. Those who are no longer a part of the association either wrote to me and told me they could not longer keep the standards I require, or, I simply asked some to make a choice: Do what I ask of you (simple requests) or go your own way! At this present point in time, my grappling association shines above all others! As a result of all of the hard work that all of us have put into the association, we now have some unique benefits that demonstrate our commitment to each other. For example, right now, any instructor within the association can travel to the following places, stay at another instructor's home and train at the other instructor's school for free: 1. California. 2. Vermont. 3. Maine. 4. Connecticut. 5. Georgia. 6. Florida. 7. Sweden. 8. Germany. 9. Baja California,Mexico. I have tried to set a standard for a grappling community. Many of my instructors are following suit. I plan to try and accomplish the same thing within my JKD/FMA community. It took me five years to make a family with my grappling association. I hope to do the same with my JKD/FMA community. I am proud of my grappling community and all that they have accomplished. I do hope to bring much of the same positivity over to the JKD/FMA community. Regarding a JKD/FMA instructional, I do have plans. But right now, I have way too many things on my plate. I am trying to catch up on all the things I have promised in the past. One day though..... Good training to you, Roy Harris
4/5/04 2:27 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 05-Apr-04
ttt
4/5/04 10:30 PM
bjjrookie79

Hello Mr. Harris, Thank you for the reply. The JKD/Kali program seems very organized. Just a few more questions regarding the program. Will the attendees of the program be given a manual or video of what they have learned over the period of the 5 days? What can someone (whom is interested in attending the course) prepare themselves for the intensive 5 days? And finally, is the curriculum outline for your apprentice program (which you longer offer) the same curriculum that will be taught at the Level 1 instructors program? Thank you.
4/5/04 10:57 PM
twinkletoesCT

In the past Mr. Harris has held a weekend intensive course that prepares you for what you will learn in the apprentice course. There is still info about this at www.royharris.com in the section on Associations. I'm not sure if any of that has changed with the switch to "Level 1" etc. I don't think it has, but I too am curious for an official answer. ~TT
4/9/04 11:49 PM
bjjrookie79

Edited: 09-Apr-04
ttt
4/11/04 10:25 PM
Roy Harris

Edited: 11-Apr-04
bjjrookie79, You asked, "Will the attendees of the program be given a manual or video of what they have learned over the period of the 5 days?" I am undecided on this. Obviously, I won't be giving out a manual because I simply have not had time to write one. However, I have considered offering a DVD. My only reason for hesitating is all the copying that will occur. I can't tell you how much my grappling instructor's manual has been copied! You also asked, "What can someone (whom is interested in attending the course) prepare themselves for the intensive 5 days?" To begin with, I would highly recommend running, sprinting and footwork drills. You will need some endurance to finish the course. You will also need a good pair of socks and some good cross training shoes. Because of all the footwork you will be doing, you will want to prevent blisters! You also asked, "Is the curriculum outline for your apprentice program (which you longer offer) the same curriculum that will be taught at the Level 1 instructors program?" No. The two programs are different. Roy Harris
4/12/04 10:36 AM
twinkletoesCT

Edited: 12-Apr-04
ttt
4/12/04 11:14 AM
bjjrookie79

Edited: 12-Apr-04 11:07 AM
Hello Mr. Harris, Once again, thank you for the replies to my many questions. I hope others (especially twinkletoesCT) are finding my questions regarding your JKD/Kali program helpful. Just a few more questions, I promise. Since the apprentice and the level 1 programs are different, will you be posting the curriculum outline for the level 1 program on your website before the program starts? If not, can you give us an idea of what will be taught? Thank you and have a great week.
4/12/04 12:35 PM
Roy Harris

Yes, I will post a course outline before the date of the course. Roy Harris
4/12/04 1:28 PM
twinkletoesCT

bjjrookie79, It sounds like you are just as excited about this course as I am! ~Chris
4/12/04 1:58 PM
bjjrookie79

Thanks Mr. Harris. I'll be looking forward for the post. Chris, I am excited. Time to save up my vacation hours, some money, and build up my endurance so I can attend the course. Hopefully nothing comes up and I'll see you there. Take care, Mark.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.