UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> BJJ101+201 Reviews

4/1/04 12:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rene.r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Apr-04

First, a big thank you to Roy for sending out the videos. They are intended as a gift for a friend's birthday in a couple weeks, but I couldn't resist taking a peek after reading so much about them (lucky he doesn't come on the UG :) Production: These are easily the best produced (and post-produced) MA videos I've ever seen. The graphics are darn well TV quality. I see this as both a blessing and a curse, however. It takes a lot of time to achieve production like this and while I enjoy it in a "wow!" kind of way, at the end of the day I don't buy instructionals for production--I buy them for instruction. And while I'm certain Roy takes tremendous pride and pleasure in producing the best looking videos on the market (and he should), I would personally welcome BJJ 101 vol. 1,2,&3 being out already with less production, than just 1 volume with spectacular production. cont...
4/1/04 1:03 PM
rene.r

Presentation: Segment wise, these DVDs have outstanding presentation. Almost everything is clear (I say almost because on my TV, the edges of the screen were cut off, so I couldn't see most of the crawl along the bottom--I haven't heard anyone else having this problem, however, so I will check into re-calibrating my TV). Roy and his student wear contrasting color Kimono, making it easy to see who's doing what, and the voice over worked amazingly well to explain while letting the techniques flow. (And it was a little freaky how close Roy's voice sounded (at least to me) to Buffy/Angel creator Joss Whedon on his commentary tracks ;) I agree with Andre, however, in that the use of text screens (PowerPoint like many times) did not well suit the DVD/video medium. The worst cases were when the voice overs stopped and there was just text, but in general, I did not enjoy this aspect at all. I would much rather see accompanying video giving a demonstration of the principle(s) being discussed. Even on Dr. Phil, they cut back and forth :) Overall, while the navigation was easy and intuitive, I really missed a 'play all' feature. Since many segments were short, and I seldom watch while just sitting down on the couch, I had to get up often to run for the remote. Also, on 101, I would have preferred actual names being given to the 'Fundementals' (as they comprise fully half the menu options). Shrimp 1, Shrimp 2, Knees 1, etc., would be helpful if I wanted to go back and re-watch something later without having to hunt for it. cont. Cont.
4/1/04 1:10 PM
rene.r

Instruction: This is what I buy a DVD/video for, and at the end of the day, it's the only thing that matters to me. In this area, the DVDs truly shine, and are worthy of a lot of the praise they are being given. Roy speaks clearly, explains what's he's doing and (most of the time) why, and gives enough angles and breakdowns to make it comprehensible. Personally, however, I would have liked even *more* details (note: as I said, the crawl was cut off on my TV so its possible the more details I wanted were included there and I couldn't see it). The only negative for me in this section is that I would have preferred to see Roy's personal 'A' game more. I understand these are his basics as he thinks best for a beginner and intermediate student, respectively, but I've heard enough about how good Roy is at guard-passing, pins, kimura, leg-locks, back-control, etc. to suspect this material could have been taken to another level on these DVDs (this could be a split approach where you learn a simple version for beginners/intermediates, and a more subtle version of advanced, but I personally prefer 1 version that just takes longer to work on) I admit I wanted to see how he crushes people, rips their arms off, and then feeds them their legs. :) Likewise, while the grappling segments were great, I would also have liked to see Roy grappling with people closer to his own level, to show how his game manifests that way as well. cont.
4/1/04 1:16 PM
rene.r

Extras: Some blooper reel stuff and loads of web bonus material. Awesome. Overall: Good series. If the 'power-points' were taken out and more live-footage of Roy showing the stuff (old 'show don't tell' rule), and if the organization was a little better, they would easily be great. I would recommend 101 for seasoned white belts. Not enough focus for brand newbies, but important stuff for people to refine what they're already familiar with and fill in what gaps are missing. A good partial overview (note: when vol. 2, & 3 are released on DVD, it may well be a great complete overview). 202 is beyond my skill level to truly judge, but I would still recommend it for a seasoned blue belt, as something in there is just bound to give an 'aha' moment or two, which is often what is really needed. Thanks again, Roy!
4/2/04 1:21 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-04
Hello rene.r, Thanks for doing a review of my DVD's! I'd like to comment on a few things you mentioned: Under "Production", you wrote, ..." while I'm certain Roy takes tremendous pride and pleasure in producing the best looking videos on the market (and he should), I would personally welcome BJJ 101 vol. 1,2, &3 being out already with less production, than just 1 volume with spectacular production." I don't understand what that meant. Can you explain? Under Presentation, you wrote: ...I say almost because on my TV, the edges of the screen were cut off, so I couldn't see most of the crawl along the bottom." This is a problem that only a few have written to me. Either everyone had problems or only a few wrote to me to mention it, or only a few people had problems in this area. Please know that you can play this DVD in your computer and the text will scroll just fine. I am not sure what the problem is. I had thought about raising the text up a little higher on the screen. However, I would then cut into the visual quality of the information being presented. I am not sure how I will deal with this in the next project. Thanks for letting me know that you could not see the text. You also wrote, "... the use of text screens (PowerPoint like many times) did not well suit the DVD/video medium. The worst cases were when the voiceovers stopped and there was just text, but in general, I did not enjoy this aspect at all. I would much rather see accompanying video giving a demonstration of the principle(s) being discussed." While you may not like it, but others LOVED it! When making an instructional, it is unfortunate that I can not please every viewer. There will be those who are more action suited and want to see more video footage, and there are those who are more cerebral and want to have things explained in text (with an accompanying voiceover). And then there are those who want it all. Well, being a creator and producer of visual content, I have to make choices based upon comments that previous orderers have made. Since others in the past have made positive comments about my text accompanying the video, I chose to give them a lot more of it. So, when I made this instructional, I tried to find a happy medium between those who were cerebral and those who were looking for movement/excitement. Plus, I tried to put so much information on the DVD that it would take several viewings to capture the essence of intermediate level Jiu Jitsu. The easy part for the viewer is to sit and watch. The hard part will be doing what I've asked you to do on the DVD. Thus far, most have not done what I have asked them to do. How do I know that? Because I told people to e-mail me when they read a certain text. To date, only two people have e-mailed me the info I requested! You also wrote, "I really missed a 'play all' feature." Well, this is one area within DVD's that I do not know how to do just yet. I mean, I know how to do it the long way, but not the short way. I plan to include this in subsequent DVD's. Continued...
4/2/04 1:22 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Under "Instruction", you stated, "Personally, however, I would have liked even *more* details (note: as I said, the crawl was cut off on my TV so its possible the more details I wanted were included there and I couldn't see it)." I know the details were cut off on your screen. However, please try viewing it on your computer screen. Regarding your comment on my "A" game, I think it would be rather boring for most viewers. Why? Because you would see the same techniques used over and over again. You see, I have put in so much time on takedowns from the knees, guard passing and the kimura that this is all you would see over and over again. Maybe you might see a few variables in my guard passing. However, the end would always be the same: Takedown, guard pass, side mount and kimura. In the past, many of my students have asked me why I don't go hard with them. I've told them the same thing I just wrote above. When pushed farther on the topic, I would demonstrate the above on them. I would ask them to do anything they wanted to do and I would perform the same techniques over and over again. Time and time again, I would put them on their back, pass their guard, hold them down and take the kimura. After performing the kimura four or five times, they would all ask the same thing: How come you don't do this in class? My response was always: "Because it would be boring for you and everyone else. I would win all of the time and you would never be allowed into the game. And, if I never allow you into the game, you wouldn't learn as much as you do when we roll. Does that make sense?" Their response was always, "Yes." You see, when I want my students to learn outside of the normal class instruction, I let them into the sparring game. I do this by going onto my back and playing with them in my guard. I allow them to pass my guard and move around from one position to another. I will then either escape or allow them to mount or take my arm. By allowing them to put their techniques together into simple combinations while rolling with me, they get a chance to learn and practice their techniques during a live encounter. Since they don't get a chance to do this while sparring with other students, it makes their grappling sessions with me more fun, entertaining and educational. When I grappled with Roy and Brad on the DVD, I did it to teach the viewers timing. This message is very subtle and requires the viewer to pay attention to detail (every small and subtle movement in relation to my training partner’s movement). Additionally, there is a lot that I do in those grappling matches that I don't explain in the DVD. If you watch the grappling matches over and over again, you will find these little golden nuggets. I put them in there for the person who is disciplined enough to seek after them. They are not obvious! (So, start digging if you haven't seen them yet!) Now, regarding grappling with people my own skill level, I move the same way when I grapple people my own skill level, slow and deliberate. Yes, there are times when I have to move fast because my training partner is gaining a position of advantage and I need to beat him to the position. However, the majority of my grappling (60% of it) is done moving with slow and deliberate movements. Also, I perform the same moves over and over again. While I am not always successful in their execution, I still utilize the same principles and techniques! Continued...
4/2/04 1:24 AM
Roy Harris

Let me tell you an interesting story: Several years ago, after taking a long break from training, I traveled to Professor Moreira's school in Newport Beach. I grappled with my little brother Gustavo Moreira. He was a little insulted with my grappling style. Why? Because I grappled with him very slowly and dominated him positionally (without using strength). He thought that I was trying to embarrass him by grappling so slow. Well, a few months later, he saw me grappling with Professor Moreira at the same speed. He came up to me after my lesson with Professor Moreira and told me he now felt much better about our grappling match a few months ago. Why? Because he saw me grapple with my instructor the same way I had grappled with him, slow and deliberate. An interesting side note: Professor Moreira has complimented me many times during my private lessons with him that my grappling style is a thinking man's game. He admires this one aspect of my game! I guess I wrote all of that to say this: My grappling game does not change very much when I grapple people my own skill level. Yes, I do perform a few moves explosively. However, the rest of the game is the same. You wrote in the Overall section, "If the 'power-points' were taken out and more live-footage of Roy showing the stuff (old 'show don't tell' rule), and if the organization was a little better, they would easily be great." Again, the power-point stuff may not interest you, but it made rave reviews with others that appreciated the thought provoking comments I made in the scrolling text. I do hope you eventually take a look at the text to read and absorb it. It will make a positive impact on your game. Now, if I made more footage available on the DVD, I would have had to compromise the quality of the video footage. Yes, I can squeeze two or three hours’ worth of video footage on the DVD. However, the quality and size of that footage would be criticized by many. While DVD is a great medium, it still has its limitations. And, regardless of what the advertising people say about DVD's, the technology has minimal standards that apply to all desktops and CPU's. This can be very frustrating for content creators! Also, as I keep raising the bar on quality instruction, I notice that viewers keep asking for more and more. Heck, I even had one guy who told me I should make two or three hour long instructionals and only charge $10 a piece for them. My response to him was, "I will do this when you begin working for half the wage you now make and put in twice the amount of hours at work. In other words, if you make $40,000 a year working 40 hours per week, I suggest you work 80 hours a week and only get paid $20,000 a year. I never heard back from him because he got the message: its different when the shoe is on the other foot. I understand that YOU would have liked the DVD to have certain features that YOU like, but I had to make the instructional based on two things I knew, 1) a wide variety of clientele preferences, and 2) the limitations of the medium I was using. I do wish I could totally please and fulfill each and every client's needs and desires. However, I know that I can not do this because the needs are too many and the desires are always changing. So, I do what I can do with my instructionals. Continued...
4/2/04 1:25 AM
Roy Harris

BJJ 101 and 201 were designed with the white and blue belts in mind. (I have not created anything for purple belts or higher) The journey for these belts involves laying a foundation (both technical and theoretical), as well as giving them some basic tools and training methods to work with. Once this foundation has been built, the second level can be laid on top of it. Additionally, when BJJ 101 and 201 are combined with all of the writings on my web site, all of the needed building blocks are covered. There are no gaps! Thanks again rene.r for reviewing BJJ 201, Part One. I do appreciate it! Good training to you, Roy Harris
4/2/04 8:40 AM
kyles

"the end would always be the same: Takedown, guard pass, side mount and kimura." LOL! I can attest to that. - Kyle
4/2/04 9:50 AM
rene.r

Hi Roy, Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. 1. I work in a related field and I have some idea how long doing all the post-production on your DVDs must take. IMHO, I would rather have 2 less-produced DVDs from you than 1 really well produced one (keeping in mind instruction is far more important to me as a consumer than post production). However, I do understand the personal appeal of producing products of that quality. 2. I will try it on my computer and on another TV. It is likely that its a TV setting (hopefully not default). I do know CNN crawls just fine on my TV. 3. Please don't get me wrong about the 'PowerPoints'. I do like them in theory, but I find text better suited to text mediums. From your website, or in PDF, that stuff would rock. Since video allows text, audio, and video all at the same time, I would prefer to see video giving examples as you outline your points (minor quibble, to be sure, but that's what wish lists are for :) 4. I understand about the 'A' game and boring. Reading on the forum that you spent 2 years on Kimura (not sure that's the right number?), however, made me hunger for all the little details you may have worked out in that period (and I wouldn't get bored :) Again, more of these might be in the crawl, so I'll watch again on a different screen. 5. Great story! Hopefully one day some of that (or similar) footage could sneak its way onto a DVD. I think if people saw skilled BBs grappling methodically, it would open many eyes. 6. Part of raising the bar is raising expectations. Just look at the Matrix sequels! IMHO, it's a compliment. Of course, I will have my preferences as others will have theirs. A balancing act to be sure. Good training to you to Roy, and thanks again for the outstanding videos.
4/2/04 1:33 PM
Roy Harris

Thanks rene.r ! I have thought about doing a less invovled production. However, I have caught the artist's bug. Once the standard has been raised, it is hard to go back. This raising of the bar has even affected my viewing. When I go to watch a movie or even someone else's instructional, I am always looking at sound, lighting, presentation and effects. Having learned how to produce quality videos has been a blessing and a curse. It's been a blessing because when I compare my instructional to some of the others that are available out there, mine shine! It's also been a curse because of all the people reviewing videos these days. This person loves the videos because of the production quality and quantity of info, while this other person dislikes certain aspects of the videos because they feel that more time could have been spent putting more video content on the instructional and less time could have been spent on production quality. And then there's this other person who is hunting for instructionals that shows hundreds of techniques. To him, an instructional has value when there are more techniques on it. Which way is better? I don't know. I have thought about making an instructional that had more techniques on it with less details. However, I am unsure how this would be received. Continued...
4/2/04 1:44 PM
Roy Harris

You said, "I find text better suited to text mediums" and then you referred to my website. Well, the new kid on the block is "multimedia." Multimedia is going to change the way we view everything. Multimedia refers to using a mix of text, sound and video to enhance the users experience. I am breaking new ground with my use of text. Traditionally, text should be used in text mediums. However, all of that is changing because technology is changing and viewers tastes are changing. So, while it WAS correct to use text in text mediums, it will soon become standard to include text in all mediums. CNN, MTV and Flash have been the leaders in changing the way text is used. I borrowed their ideas and used them on this DVD. I believe you will see more of this in the future! For an idea of what is happening in the Flash community, take a look at www.coolhomepages.com. Click on their flash section. While many are using text as an aesthetic background texture, some are using it to inform adn educate. Regarding the little details on the kimura, I discovered those details after hundreds of reps. I have repeatedly encouraged students to put in the time, do the reps and make the same discoveries on their own. These discoveries are just waiting for the disciplined student to find them. Yes, I know it would be easier to have me share each and every one of them, but what fun would that be? While it may be fun to see me grappling with other black belts on tape, a content creator must consider the reputations of black belts and how it can affect their business and reputations. I have no problems putting up footage of Professor Moreira kicking my butt. However, I do have a problem with me uploading footage of myself beating another black belt and then charging money for it. Something about that seems disrespectful. Of course, if the other black belt gave me permission to do it, that would be another thing. You said, "Part of raising the bar is raising expectations." Well, I disagree with that in part, but I also agree with it in part. I think the problem, if it can be called a problem is with viewers in general. They are never fulfilled. If you raise the bar to a level they never thought possible, a couple of them will begin to try and think "is there another level?" or "Can you also do this?" However, their thinking is always: I. Me. Mine. Myself. I have yet to have a person request something based upon the desires or prefereneces of a group of people. And, because this person wants "A", and that person wants "B", and another person wants "C" and yet another person wants "X", it is very difficult to meet everyone's expectations. Does that make sense? Again, I thank you for your comments and will take them into consideration when I make future DVD's. Sincerely, Roy Harris
4/2/04 1:47 PM
Roy Harris

While we are all on this subject, do any of you have any request? Is there something you would like to see on an instructional DVD? Also, what kind of DVD would you like to have? A bare bones DVD or something of substantial aesthetic quality or a mix of the two? I am all ears! Roy Harris
4/2/04 2:17 PM
rene.r

Hi Roy, I'm a graphic designer by trade, and was also one of the early Video Toaster adapters (the frontiers of desktop video ;) so I understand completely what you say above. When I look at signs, I see font families, when I watch special effects, I see texture and bump maps. A blessing and a curse indeed :) Currently, part of my job involves Flash content generation. I think we're on a similar pages as regards multi-media, and rich-media, which is why I think the crawl and the other MM touches you added are excellent. My comments were directed towards the prolonged PowerPoints, especially when there was no voice-over (those could be even more MM rich if, along with the bullet points, it showed you showing examples in action). What would I like to see? You know your market better than anyone. There are the 'game' DVDs like Sperry's and Garcia's, the 'focus' DVDs like Bolo's, Levo's, Meitosa, etc. and the 'bunch'o'unrelated'moves' DVDs. There are some 'level' based DVDs (like Sauer's (sp?) White->Blue, and Blue->Purple which I have yet to see), but this is where I saw your material dominating. Not a game, not a focus, not a bunch'o'moves, but an overview to fine-tune and fill-in level appropriate material. So, aside from what I mentioned (a 'play all' feature included) I would very much like to see the rest of BJJ101 on DVD, and further volumes of BJJ 201 :)
4/2/04 2:24 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center
I liked the HUGE amount of information packed into BJJ 201 v.1. I think the production value DOES make a difference. This is a professional product, not an amateur product. It shows. Now, if it were filled with "meaningless flash" like special effects that had no relationship to the content (like an animated Boa cartoon during the credits, say) then I think that would add very little to the overall value of the DVD. However, the effects helped to pull together the various media that were delivering information in this DVD (even things like the swirling background behind the graphs). I liked it. I would not buy a tape that was filled with hundreds of techniques with little to no detail each. If I wanted that, I would be spending my money on other people's videos--people that do that already. However, that's not something I need/want to see. I would rather gain one technique that I can always make work than 85 techniques that I cannot ever use successfully. As for topic requests, that's a tough one. Here are some things I would like to have a Roy Harris DVD about: -Intermediate Guard Passing (I believe you already said this would be in later parts of BJJ 201). -Jeet Kune Do Training and Theory (It's a HUGE topic, I know. JKD 101? 201? 701?) -Groundfighting training for MMA -Groundfighting training for self-defense (including kino mutai) -Intermediate Positional Escapes (escapes from North South, Various scarf hold variations, knee on stomach, and half guard top) as well as Intermediate Submission Escapes ~TT
4/2/04 7:30 PM
sovann

My favorite videos: 1) Armlocks Vol 2 2) Armlocks Vol 1 3) BJJ 101 Vol 2 4) BJJ 101 DVd 5) Heel Hook Seminar The tape that helped me have more fun in training is Armlocks Vol 1 because combined with better side mount escapes, the armlock escapes helped me spend less time on my back. Also understanding the mechanics of armlocking helped me defend much better. I also enjoy the drills and combinations. These principles and ideas helped me become more active and creative when grappling. Another key to improving was to train/roll at a slower speed which is demonstrated on all of Roy's tapes.
4/3/04 12:30 PM
mentalmidget

Edited: 03-Apr-04
The graphics in bjj 201 was excellent, but I would not take it any further than that if delivery time suffers. Michael Jens stuff is amazing the way he covers a topic using reference points. His method of teaching makes things easy to learn. If you showed stuff using a similar method with your current attention to graphics I would buy any bjj dvd you produced.
4/4/04 4:37 PM
luckychucky

Edited: 04-Apr-04 04:31 PM
First of all I'm a tape/DVD slut, I have all of Sperry's series, Garcia's, all of Carvalho's, Paulson's CSW series, Cecchine's LAOH, just to name a _few_. The ones that I have felt helped me the most are ones by Roy Harris and Michael Jen. Clear, methodical, and logical. I should add that I'm a beginner, so perhaps after time as I progress, I'll develop a better appreciation for the other instructionals I have... As for suggestions for the future? Just keep it up! I, personally appreciated the text you had on BJJ 101 regarding the points you wished to emphasize.
4/4/04 9:07 PM
Andrew Yao

Edited: 04-Apr-04
Roy, One subject I would really like to see for an instructional is positional escapes for MMA, especially mount and knee on stomach. This is something that has not been covered much in instructionals, that the demand would be very high for. Re: production, I definitely don't like the CNN style scrolling text on the bottom. It's distracting and makes the screen look too busy. I also don't like the extended periods of text on the screen. I read very fast, and once I finish reading the text, I have to wait a long time for the voice over to finish, or for the new text to scroll. Instead, I would put all text on the web resource. I do like the text, but like Rene, I don't like it on screen on a video resource. For the scrolling text, instead you could just put a solid footnote referring interested people to a note on the web resource. Since I watch DVDs on my computer, this would be perfect for me. As for aesthetics, I generally prefer a pure, simple look.
4/4/04 11:18 PM
demandango

Edited: 04-Apr-04
i like the scrolling info, if it's a choice between having that info scrolling or not having it at all.
4/5/04 2:01 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 05-Apr-04
So, you guys would rather that I not put the additional info (scrolling text) on the instructionals? It would certainly make it easier for me to do instructionals that way. I wouldn't have to put as much time and effort into the project because I wouldn't have to write out and format the extra text. I was putting the extra info there because I thought you guys would want it. Roy
4/5/04 3:58 AM
demandango

i would keep the scrolling info, btw, i also could not view the scrolling info and a small portion along the sides on at least one dvd player-tv combination, however, i can view it on my tv when i make the proper modifications on the tv.
4/5/04 8:20 AM
Andrew Yao

I did read the scrolling text and I thought it was excellent stuff. Given the choice of having it scrolling or not having it at all, I would keep it. But, I hate the scrolling format. That's why ideally I would like it on the web resource.
4/5/04 11:58 PM
luckychucky

keep the scrolling! I need all the help I can get!
4/6/04 9:39 AM
Croft

Edited: 06-Apr-04
keep the scrolling! :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.