UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> BJJ101+201 Reviews

4/6/04 11:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GrdStorm
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Apr-04
keep it, even if people don't like it, I dont think it takes anything away from the instructional. They can chose to just ignore the scrolling text.
4/7/04 1:57 PM
rene.r

Edited: 07-Apr-04
FWIW, I like the scrolling. It adds replay value. I would keep it (and, of course, add some more voice-over/video inset to the PowerPoints :)
4/7/04 2:57 PM
Prik Khee Noo

Edited: 07-Apr-04
Like rene.r said, the unexpected benefit of the scrolling is that it keeps you watching again and again. You watch it once for the action, watch it again to read, watch it again to see how the stuff you read applies to the screen, and then watch it once more to make sure you're really following. :) As for what I want to see- more or less what those guys above want to see- intermediate escapes and BJJ for self-defense. I remember the PDF file you put out on escapes a while ago and it's still the whole foundation of my escaping game. More please more! Almost unbelievably I don't think there is an instructional out there that covers escapes from all four side control arm positions. As for self-defense, what I think we all mean is that we're scared of getting bitten in a fight. I love side control but I really don't want someone taking a chunk off my chest. Now that we're on the topic though... I don't think anyone has really released a thorough conceptual analysis of the guard. I first learned not two weeks ago (after a year in BJJ) how to create pressure with a closed guard so sweeps come easier. I think too many instructors just tell their students to practice defending guard without telling them what principles there are to keep your opponent off-balance. Your videos continue to impress me. I thought I was beyond BJJ 101 level six months ago (the arrogance!). I took a look at it again recently and saw all sorts of things I didn't see before. I've also been haunted by something you wrote on pins. You said that the pin Joe Moriera uses most effectively on you is the one where the top arm is over the head and the bottom arm on the near side hip. As someone who religiously goes for the cross-face pin, this statement must mean that there are some elements to pinning that I am simply not understanding yet... (Btw, my TV distorts the edges of the screen as well.)
4/8/04 1:18 AM
bounce

Edited: 08-Apr-04
Roy, U said that ur game is to takedown, pass guard, side mount and kimura. What is ur game when u are on ur back? Do u sit up for takedowns from ur knees and start the whole process again? I have both ur armlock videos and I love them. If there is a dvd i would love to see from u, it would be an armlocks 3 which goes in depth on set ups.
4/9/04 9:42 AM
kyles

Edited: 09-Apr-04
bounce, from my experience, that is an affirmative :) - Kyle
4/10/04 12:21 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Apr-04
bounce, When I go onto my back and use my guard, I am either playing with someone or looking for an opportunity to shoot in for single leg from the knees. Roy
4/10/04 5:00 AM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Apr-04 10:53 AM
so, against joe moreira, you are either playing with him or looking for an opportunity to use single leg? i am just trying to understand what you attempt to do against a more or equally experienced practitioner, and also what you do against someone who is only superior in one area. what do you do against someone who is only superior in the takedowns from the knees department? (i realize it is unlikely that you do run into very many of these types of people) thanks.
4/11/04 4:23 PM
FullBlastJKD

Edited: 11-Apr-04
Mr Harris, speaking from the standpoint of someone who has 23 years of experience in the martial arts, I want to commend you completely on the quality of your videos. There are tons of videos out there that explain positions, escapes, submissions, and there are plenty that try to take you from A-Z, but none that truly go into such detail as what you should be doing and working on at each level, and how to do it. I think it shows your tremendous teaching ability. Personally speaking, I started training in BJJ about 6 years ago, my first instructor was a very solid blue belt (and a PFS Full Instructor BTW). I trained for about 3 1/2 years with him until he and I both had to move away. From that point on I was left without a nearby instructor, and a strong desire to learn and teach the art of BJJ to others. I consider myself to be a student of the game in every sense, so I was pleased to see many of your writings on BJJ on the web. They helped me tremendously, not just for my personal progression, but in teaching others as well. Your material has shown me how to piece together a good program for teaching others and working towards my own progression. For the last three years all I have had to rely on was seminars, privates here and there, and the media (books, vids, net) to continue my progression. Back in January I was promoted to Blue Belt, and have been able to get into a regular class schedule. When rolling with other blue belts, I realize that I have indeed been doing the right all along. BJJ 201 is the perfect addition to my collection as it is the only video that points out crucial elements of what I should be doing now. One element in particular...timing! Your section on timing really opened my eyes...as now I am not rolling with white belts and blue belts anymore, but a room full of tough purples, and I don't get caught with stuff that I don't know or haven't seen, but rather stuff that I have seen over and over, but it is the timing that is killing me. I can manage to escape subs once or twice, but then invariably I get caught because my timing will lax. If it weren't for your insights and selfless instruction, I don't know how I would be progressing at all. Thanks Roy! Bryan Smith
4/11/04 10:17 PM
Roy Harris

Edited: 11-Apr-04
demandango, Against my instructor, I am always learning. I do not have a game plan against him because he is so much better than I am. Plus, I never compete against him. He is my instructor. I come to him for more knowledge and experience. So the standard I mentioned above does not apply to him. You asked: 1. What do you attempt to do against a more or equally experienced practitioner? 2. What you do against someone who is only superior in one area? 3. What do you do against someone who is only superior in the takedowns from the knees department? The answer to question number one is: I try to learn as much as I can!!!! When I grapple against someone who is obviously better than I am, I watch, observe, feel and ask questions. The answer to question number two is: I will adapt my game to his. Because I have spent a considerable amount of time in each of the 200+ areas of BJJ, I can change my game at any time. Yes, I have my preferred game. Yes, I have my weaknesses. However, once I sense a strength in a person's game, I can adapt my game. One more thing: I am not a point fighter! I always look for the finish. I use position to give me the leverage I need to finish. I will not allow rush into anything. The answer to question number three is: Same as number two, I adapt. Obviously, I am going to have a hard time putting them on their back from the knees. So, I will adapt my game to their game. ------------------------------- FullBlastJKD, Thank you so much for your kind words! I do appreciate them!!! Sincerely, Roy Harris
4/12/04 9:22 PM
demandango

Edited: 12-Apr-04
thanks roy, i would like to second fullblastjkd's sentiments almost exactly.
4/13/04 5:12 PM
pulleyk

Edited: 13-Apr-04
I would like to second the request for a positional escapes with strikes DVD. i.e. bottom defense and escapes from strikes AND submissions. I don't know if there's enough material to fill a DVD, but I would buy that in a second.
4/14/04 1:33 PM
demandango

Edited: 14-Apr-04
roy, does joe ever request you train competitively to help him prepare for a competition? how would you train with him if he did? i have a friend of mine who is a brown belt and i am a high blue belt, perhaps i am of purple belt level (according to him) and he wants me to help him to train for a mma fight? any advice on how to do that while rolling or sparring? probably ask him what he wants is number 1? anything else? thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.