UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> What does everybody Study?

4/1/04 3:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tjmitch
298 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Apr-04

What is everybodys background? How long have you studied, have you studied more than one system?
4/1/04 3:45 PM
Willybone
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now, arnis, since January. I just got my first belt, which means I hit myself in the head only twice each class on average. I'm very proud.

Before... Judo for 2-3 years. HKD for 3 years. TKD for 1 year. Kendo for only 6 months.
4/1/04 11:02 PM
theJJKid
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a kid I did Japanese Ju Jitsu for about a year and a half. 15 years later I decided to get back into it, I do Japanese Ju Jitsu and Shootfighting (I know it's not a TMA). I have dabbled in BJJ (just a few classes but had to let it go due to time constraints - read as "the lady demands more time".
4/2/04 12:26 PM
Millenium Falcon
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-04
This is Ogami Itto with his one-month screen-name bet name. I started in MMA. The instructor called it "jujitsu." It was Chinese kempo karate + boxing + small-circle-type jujutsu + grappling. I studied with him for a year. Then I got into kendo. Been at that for 5+ years and have a san-dan. I also study iaido but have no rank. I have kept up with the kickboxing stuff from my first teacher ever since, for about seven years, and two years ago I also started judo on the side to round out my grappling. I have always tried to keep up the hand-to-hand in an mma-type environment with various friends and training partners but kendo is my main thing.
4/6/04 8:15 PM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Apr-04

Geez, where to begin...First dan in Hapkido, second Dan in chung do kwan (Korean Karate/TKD). Trained about a year with the MASH fight team (MMA). Now I train kickboxing and submission wrestling with a small club out of a church rec. center.

I still occasionally get my TKD on with Champion martial arts in Garden City. Those kids are damn quick.

4/9/04 3:54 PM
lueng jon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Apr-04
Wing Chun, some western boxing and some BJJ,
4/10/04 6:31 PM
khd29

Edited: 10-Apr-04
TKD when I was younger, Arnis when I lived in NJ, currently Judo and Boxing...
4/13/04 11:48 AM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Apr-04 11:41 AM
Hi folks Japanese karate (started with kajukenpo, currently doing Seieikan) for 22 years. Cross trained in jujutsu for about 5 years. Currently cross training in judo/wrestling and been at it for about 2 years. Mark
4/13/04 12:55 PM
damaebushi
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Apr-04 01:34 PM
Started in Chinese Kenpo in 1968 or 69, began Okinawan Karate (Shorin Ryu Kenshinkan) in 79, and in 84 began a Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo (actually related to Kenshinkan). Still study Matsumura Kenpo to this day. Respectfully: Fred
4/13/04 3:17 PM
tjmitch
298 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Apr-04
Not to make you feel old Fred, but I was born in 67. And the guys I train with call me old !
4/13/04 6:24 PM
damaebushi
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easy, there, tjmitch. I have enough of a self esteem problem the way it is. Besides, you should be nice to senior citizens. Respectfully: Fred
4/13/04 6:45 PM
tjmitch

So do you ever go to the AARP meetings and slap some people around? :-) When you say you studied chinese Kempo, do you mean the Kempo William Chow was teaching after he left Hawahii? Or another offshoot of the family tree? Did yuo see any similarities between the different styles of Kempo you studied?
4/14/04 11:39 AM
damaebushi

Edited: 14-Apr-04 11:33 AM
I am the Welterweight Champion of the Senior Citizens Center. Some of those old boys were tough, but I managed to tap them all out. Now I get all my senior meals free there or the cooks have to fight me in a rematch. The Chinese Kenpo that I studied way back in the late 60s, early 70s was a hodgepodge, I think. I was young and naieve and looking back, I realize that the instructor was not what he said he was. Regardless of that, however, he taught a good class with hard training and some pretty realistic fighting. I did notice some similarties to the Okinawan Matsumura Kenpo, but also a lot of differences. The two styles of Okinawan Kenshinkan and Matsumura Kenpo are similar, due to their closely shared lineage. Respectfully: Fred
4/14/04 2:25 PM
Ricky T
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Apr-04
I studied TKD- Tang Soo Do/Hapkido at the same time for 5 years. Judo for 3 years. Northern Shaolin Gung Fu for 3 years. Boxing for 3 years.
4/19/04 7:28 AM
poobear
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Apr-04
jjj, boxing, judo, karate, tjq, (now only) systema
8/10/04 5:13 PM
Southie

Edited: 10-Aug-04
TKD (Chang Moo Kwan), Hapkido (Sin Moo), and BJJ.
8/10/04 5:27 PM
oldwrestler
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 years of Hung Gar as a kid, 4 years of folkstyle wrestling, 6 months of Aikido, 6 month of Tai Chi, spent a season fencing (foil) in college, probably about a year of mma if you add it all up over the years and about 2 1/2 years of BJJ. Now that I look at the amount of time I have spent doing martial arts related stuff, I should probably know alot more than I do and be a lot better than I am. At least I'm having fun...
8/10/04 6:14 PM
beernight
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I currently do Kang duk kwan, Tracy Karate, Joe Lewis Fighting System (not under Mr. Lewis though) but have been around and done MMA and KB/MT but personaly there is nothing like TMA to me.
8/10/04 6:30 PM
sta94

Started in Taekwondo when I was 14 (I'm in my early 30s now) - this was the WTF/Olympic version, loved it and spent my high school/college years competing and dreaming of olympic glory. After getting burnt out of competing too much in my early-mid 20s, I spent a few years in Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo (stick n' sword). Then dabbled a bit in Doce Pares Escrima (minimal experience) and a few months here and there in BJJ. Now I'm doing Judo and loving it. I also still keep in touch with TKD.
9/1/04 1:02 AM
GesaGatame

Edited: 01-Sep-04
american-republic of texas jujutsu
9/1/04 1:06 AM
GesaGatame

Edited: 01-Sep-04 02:52 PM
a.r.t. (jujutsu) combines korean karate, chinese taichi, greco roman wrestling, american kickboxing, canadian judo, mexican vale todo, and tejas self-defense
9/6/04 5:21 AM
gakami

Edited: 06-Sep-04
I started in Tang Soo Do when I was about 6 years old. My father was taking me to the market on a Saturday morning and we drove past the TSD school, and I told my dad I wanted one of those cool costumes there were wearing. The next thing I knew I was kicking and punching and yelling in class - "wtf?". Got my junior black belt at 11. Retrospectively, I didn't learn very much about reality fighting during my time in TSD. But it did set me up with the basic skills and frame of mind for doing so later in life. I do not regret my early TSD training at all. Well, I could've been doing Judo or BJJ but what the hell, can't have everything. After that we moved and there wasn't any TSD in the new area, plus I had made an agreement with my mother that she would let me quit piano lessons if I quit TSD (which she knew I enjoyed). Anyway years later at 16 I started martial arts again, Praying Mantis Kung Fu. That was a waste of McDojo time. Then my father took me to hsing-i kung fu classes. The teacher had recently moved here from mainland China. We went to that for about 3-4months before we had to quit (parents going through separation). But within those 3-4months I was already beginning to feel the chi flowing through my dan tien and through my arms, hands and fingers. If it wasn't for my all too brief experience in hsing-i kung fu, I'd probably be a non-believer in the concept of chi. At the very least, I would not have been able to perceive the concept of chi. Then came high school, the cornershop opposite my highschool was run this asian guy, who also happened to be a kickboxer/kung fu/ karate teacher. He was coaching the state welterweight kickboxing champ at the time. Kickboxing where were I learnt to keep my hands up. It was where I learnt I didn't know how to take a punch to the face. That was some good training I had, really opened my eyes. Then at uni I went through a stint of kendo and aikido. Not much to say here. Then came BJJ after I graduated and was working fulltime. I'm still doing BJJ sporadically (been hard to keep up regular training due to personal and work commitments) over the past 3 years. Will soon get back into it plus Judo.
9/20/04 4:31 AM
HELWIG

Edited: 20-Sep-04
Started in Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do/Moo Duk Kwan at age 6. Trained until 17. Taught for a few years as well. The mindset I gained was as important if not more than the physical skills. Now training for MMA, hopefully full time soon.
9/20/04 4:35 AM
gakami

Edited: 20-Sep-04
HELWIG - maybe you can tell me what happened to the Hwang Kee TSD organisation? I left TSD for many years and when I checked back in, I discovered that there had been a lot of politics and internal conflict and the whole TSD had broken apart into different factions.
9/21/04 3:18 PM
HELWIG

Edited: 21-Sep-04
Sure. Off the top of my head. I'd say maybe around 1995 or so, the name of the art was changed from Tang Soo Do to Soo Bahk Do. Obviously other factions kept the TSD name. Several other guys were using the title of Grandmaster, but until he died, Hwang Kee was the one and only. He was the founder of the style Moo Duk Kwan, and other groups were using that name as well. Before I left, Hwang Kee died, his son H.C. Hwang who was my orriginal instructor became the new Kwan Jang Nim or Grand Master. I was never that interested in the politics of it all, so sorry if I did not have answered your question about the specific organization. Feel free to ask any more Qs and I'll see if I can answer them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.