UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> What does everybody Study?

9/25/04 11:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HELWIG
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Sep-04
ttt
9/25/04 11:57 PM
gakami
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Sep-04
I always thought the Soo Bahk Do name was always there, as well as Moo Duk Kawn. When did Hwang Kee die? I have pics of Hwang Kee grading me for my black belt yo.
10/13/04 5:27 AM
ratataa
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-04
Yi Quan for about 6-7 years now. Before that Yang Style Tai Ji Quan. As a kid/teenager brief periods of TKD and GoJuRyu Karate.
10/22/04 4:02 AM
bigbrando

Edited: 22-Oct-04
Northern Shaolin for a decade and still going strong, Chen style Taichi and also Brazilian Jiujitsu (cause there was no opportunity to learn wrestling)
11/3/04 7:17 PM
TenChiDo

Edited: 03-Nov-04
Kajukenbo!
11/21/04 1:01 PM
Miller

Edited: 21-Nov-04
I've done kenpo,some judo,boxing,wrestled for about 20 years did bjj for ten years and have been doing muay thai for 5 years
12/6/04 12:42 AM
HELWIG
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Dec-04
Gakami: sorry to not respond for so long, I stopped coming to this sub-forum for awhile. Im pretty sure Hwang Kee died in July of 02. I was actually notified by email the day before I attended another funeral with his grandson or grand-nephew(not sure) "I always thought the Soo Bahk Do name was always there, as well as Moo Duk Kawn." I think that it was always there as the historical name for the Korean martial art of punching and kicking, but the art was called Tang Soo Do and the style was Moo Duk Kwan up until the change as far as Im aware of. We all used to yell "TANG SOO!" at the end of each class and that was changed to "SOO BAHK!" when the name switch occured. "I have pics of Hwang Kee grading me for my black belt yo." Thats cool man. The equivalent of Helio watching you for BJJ. I still remember realising how temporary things are when I got the email that he had died. I was actually just past a point in my life where I was totally immersed in the TMA world and was considering taking part in the next group trip to Korea. I had a childish idea of getting a picture with as many martial arts masters as possible and he was obviously on the top of my list. I did have the priveledge of training under his son, the current GM H.C. Hwang. For Karate/Tma I have never seen anyone better. He def had that aura that you can just sense. Please keep the discussion going if you have any more topics to discuss, its not too often I run into another MDK guy. I will check back soon.
12/10/04 11:58 AM
HELWIG

Edited: 10-Dec-04
ttt
12/10/04 1:23 PM
emptiedcup

Edited: 10-Dec-04
started wrestling at age 8 been doing it ever since so - 26 years (folkstyle, greco) Submission Wrestling - 9 years Brazilian JJ - 3 years Boxing - 15 years Muay Thai - 10 years JKD/Jun Fan - 2 years Wing Chun - 6 months Kali - 1 year Judo - 4 years Shotokan Karate - 3 years Isshin Ryu Karate - 2 years Oyama Karate - 4 years Kyokushin - 1 year Savate - 6 months TKD - 6 months Aiki jutsu - 5 years Freestyle Kickboxing - 8 years Jissen Goshin Jutsu - 8 years Mugen Ryu Karate - 5 years Vale Tudo - 5 years Owner and chief instructor of International Academy of Martial Arts for 6 years Always looking to study other systems and styles and whenever i can i bring in instructors to train/teach at my school...currently i have a judo instructor and kyokushin instructor..Always learning and keep my cup empty....
12/12/04 10:18 PM
ShiroRyu

Edited: 12-Dec-04
I started cross-training in Karate and Judo but left after a year for medical concerns. Then I did TKD for 3 years and have a black belt. I now do Muay Thai and Jujitsu which I have done for about 8 months now.
12/15/04 12:44 AM
bigbrando

Edited: 15-Dec-04
emptiedcup.... all I can say is holy cow! I odn't think your screen name reflects what you've studied hahaha That is a decent list!
12/17/04 7:42 AM
gakami

Edited: 17-Dec-04
HELWIG - jeebus, it looks like I just managed to miss out on all the politics in TSD. I don't think I would've understood all that crap that was going on anyway. I toy with the idea of going back and re-earning my black belt in TSD just for the hell of it. But so much has changed since.
12/17/04 3:23 PM
HELWIG

I dont recall asking, who did you train under and if you could trace your lineage?
12/17/04 8:52 PM
gakami

Well if you read my first post about TSD, I started it when I was very young so I can only remember a few details. I can't remember my first TSD instructor's name. My second one after my family moved I remember I called him "Mr Han" (no kidding!). These two instructors were koreans sent overseas to spread TSD by Hwang Kee himself. These guys lived and breathed TSD and they basically had their bed in a small room as part of the dojang away from their families who are still in korea. It was with this second instructor that I got my 1st dan. The grading for that was held back a few months because Hwang Kee was doing a tour at the time and Mr Han wanted him to grade me along with a bunch if others as part of Hwang Kee's seminar series. That was where I got my photos with Hwang Kee from, I am still wearing my brown belt in those photos of course. After that my family moved again, and this time my instructor was a local TSD guy who also happened to be a police chief in my town Ambrose Chong (he's chinese). Ambrose had a reputation for being a hard ass policeman, using his TSD skills during police raids, kicking holes in doors etc. But he was a really nice guy. Then that's it, I quit TSD after that because my family moved again and this time there wasn't any TSD available in our area. If you ask me, I believe Mr Han was very loyal to Hwang Kee. I tried to hunt him down on the internet a couple of years ago to see what he's up to, but I remember seeing somewhere that a "Han" had passed away according to a lineage diagram I saw. I don't know if it was the same person.
2/14/05 3:51 PM
Dark Knight
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-05
"Shaolin Kempo 5 years" Dragging up old post..... Was it Villari or USSD?
2/16/05 8:09 AM
wayofthedragon

Edited: 16-Feb-05
Currently studying Judo & Karate. Hope to Study Muay Thai & Boxing in the future
2/28/05 9:38 AM
KDTA

Edited: 28-Feb-05
Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan (Chin Wu) - 1+ year - no rank Judo - 2 years - yellow belt Shotokan - 22 years - 4th Dan Shitoryu karate - 3+ years - no rank Gojukai - 1+ year - no rank Ishinryu - 1+ year - no rank Boxing - 11+ years - no rank Muso Shinden Ryu - 1+ year - no rank Shorinji Kempo - 1+ year - no rank Danzen Ryu Jujitsu - 1+ year - no rank Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - 2 years - Blue belt Kissaki Kai Karate - 5th Dan Chief Instructor and owner of KDT Academy
3/17/05 8:00 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Mar-05
"At one point I had like 5 yellow belts in the back of my closet!" Ha ha thats funny, because I was kind of the same way. I would train in one martial art for about 8 months and then change to another one. I was never really completely satisfied with a martial art until I started training in BJJ. Before that though I trained in TKD, Hapkido, Tang So Doo, and Win Chun Kung Fu. I also have a "tan" belt in MCMAT. "Several other guys were using the title of Grandmaster, but until he died, Hwang Kee was the one and only." That's interesting. When I took Tang Soo Do my instructor claimed to be the "Grandmaster" of Tang soo do, Moo Duk Kwan. His name was Ja Jone Kim. Have you ever heard of him? He also claimed to be Chuck Norris' teacher. I always wondered if it was true or not.
3/18/05 3:39 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Mar-05
this is a cool thread ttt
3/19/05 1:19 PM
FloridaArm Bar

Edited: 19-Mar-05
What happened to the interest of this thread? Did it die down?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.