UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> My stats...

4/2/04 1:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-04

On another thread, the subject came up about my current stats (height and weight). In this short post, I will share with you some of the recent changes in my body and how they occurred. As a result of "LIFE" happening, I have put on twenty-five pounds over the past couple of years. My normal 215 lbs. has ballooned up to a whopping 240 lbs. I've got quite the little tire growing around my mid-section ! ( Well, I am growing weary of carrying this tire around on my mid-section. So, I started working out again this week when I returned from the seminar in Erie, Pennsylvania. I stepped on the scale on Monday afternoon to see where I would begin my journey. The scale at my gym declared "240 lbs." So, off I went to ride the bike, climb the stairs and push some iron around. Well, I weighed myself again this afternoon (Thursday) after sweating my butt off on the stairs and I weighed a light 234 lbs. I had lost 6 pounds in four days. I am proud of my success....but, I will not celebrate until I get my weight back down below 220 lbs. My goal is to reach the high 220's by late next week. I know that sounds aggressive, but I know my body very well. It will respond very quickly to aerobics and weight training within the first ten days. However, I know that once I hit the mid to high 220's, this is where the battle will begin. I'll let you know how I am doing next week. And, I will let you know a couple of my little secrets to losing weight so quickly! Good training to you, Roy Harris
4/2/04 9:12 AM
Adam Singer
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let me know if you need any help. I am sort of a Roy Harris of strenght, conditioning and Nutrition. Adam SInger
4/2/04 1:51 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adam, I am all ears, bro ! ) I know what has worked for my body in the past because I have done this a few times before. However, I may not have been using an efficient method. If you can shed some light on the issue and broaden my horizons, I am your student! Roy Harris
4/2/04 2:22 PM
Adam Singer
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will find some of the best info on nutrition on the following site: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm Adam
4/2/04 2:37 PM
WarGod
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr. Harris, I've been on a fat-loss program over the last couple of months. While I've had a little success, I still not losing as much as I'd like. Man, there's so much information on food and it's effects out there. I worked with a nutritionist at UCSD, but I got conflicting stories from different sources. What the hey..... Oh well.....I'm thinking about giving it a rest for a while and going back on beefing up....but when I do get ripped...ladies, watch out..... ;-)
4/2/04 3:19 PM
Roy Harris

Adam, I'd like to hear your comments on what I have used in the past that has worked very well for me (and for many of my friends): 1. I begin to wean myself off of sodas and drink more water. Actually, I begin to drink A LOT OF WATER! I must admit, I am a HUGE fan of sodas. However, when I am serious about losing the weight, I will wean myself down to one soda per week. 2. I begin to wean myself off of the fatty foods and eat more fruits. I eat the same a amount of vegetables though. I must admit that I love pizza and pasta! I do love burgers, but they don't do it for me like they used to. Still, when I am serious about losing weight, I will maybe have one pizza during a one month period. Yes, I know I could go off pizza entirely, but I am not trying to win a bodybuilding contestby showing that I only have 4% body fat. My goal is to lose 10 to 20 pounds and keep it off (at least until next Thanksgiving and Christmas ! ) 3. I eat an apple before every meal. I also eat more fruit throughout the day. This helps me to control the amount of food I eat, as well as make sure I am eating three servings of fruit per day. I know some say eat five servings, but again, I am just trying to lose a bit of tire around the mid section. 4. I begin and end my training sessions with cardio. The beginning cardio is slow and steady, but then builds up to an exhausting workout. The ending cardio is constant, but at a medium level. I do not give up until I feel the burn. Additionally, I push myself farther each time I run, jog or ride the bike. If I ran twenty minutes last time, I will run twenty-two this time. Or, I will do more sprints during the run. 5. I begin to lift weight three times per week. I do more interval training and general conditioning than very specific exercises. I lift until I feel the burn. My movements are slow and deliberate on the positive and negative. 6. I force myself to get more sleep. I also make sure to rest a full day in between workouts. 7. Finally, I try to lower the levels of stress in my life by relaxing fully on the weekends. Let me know your thoughts. I am open for suggestions! Sincerely, Roy Harris P.S. Thanks for the info on nutrition! I do appreciate it!
4/2/04 5:39 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy, I am a Exercise Science major. I'm very close to getting my Bachelors degree in this field of study (God willing hopefully it will be real soon). The major of the course work credits I need for this field is done. Right now I basically need to work on my minor. And my minor is...nutrition. Right now I'm taking a full load of nutrition classes. Each class has a specific focus. One of my classes is community nutrition which obviously deals with the community at large and its nutrition needs. Another one of my classes is Child and Maternal Nutrition which focuses on the nutrition needs of pregnant women, infants and young children (it is one of the classes I HAVE TO TAKE so no comments as to why I'm taking a class like this :)). The other two nutrition classes are Nutrition and Aging which deals with the nutrition needs of the aging and elderly population and finally Sports nutrition which deals with Nutrition and athletes. Out of all these classes the Sport Nutrition class is the most interesting and relevant to not only my major but also my personal interest. I resisted the study of Nutrition for a long time. Mostly because I didn't want to be told how to eat etc. But I find this field to be very very informative and revelant. There are many commonly held ideas and concepts about nutrition in the general population which these classes particular my sport nutrition class that were debunked. Any way I would love to not only provide you with the information I get from this class but also use you as a case study. One of the things we have to do for practical experience sake is give an athlete or a very activity persons strategies as to how to best achieve their goal (whether to gain muscle mass or lose weight etc) through sound and scientific nutrition advice. I would like to use some of the information you provide and give back some numbers to you. If this is okay, I go into more detail as to what types of numbers and what they mean I would give you.
4/5/04 9:20 AM
Adam Singer

Edited: 05-Apr-04
1. I begin to wean myself off of sodas and drink more water. Actually, I begin to drink A LOT OF WATER! I must admit, I am a HUGE fan of sodas. However, when I am serious about losing the weight, I will wean myself down to one soda per week. ----Great start. Water and some gree tea should be your front line beverages. 2. I begin to wean myself off of the fatty foods and eat more fruits. I eat the same a amount of vegetables though. I must admit that I love pizza and pasta! I do love burgers, but they don't do it for me like they used to. Still, when I am serious about losing weight, I will maybe have one pizza during a one month period. Yes, I know I could go off pizza entirely, but I am not trying to win a bodybuilding contestby showing that I only have 4% body fat. My goal is to lose 10 to 20 pounds and keep it off (at least until next Thanksgiving and Christmas ! ) -----Why not try a free day once a week where you have a free meal (sat night) of the thing you craved the most durring the week. This has very important psycological and physiological benifits 3. I eat an apple before every meal. I also eat more fruit throughout the day. This helps me to control the amount of food I eat, as well as make sure I am eating three servings of fruit per day. I know some say eat five servings, but again, I am just trying to lose a bit of tire around the mid section. ------For some people fruit is actually a hinderance to losing wieght. A large glass of water will also go a long way to reducing food intake. 4. I begin and end my training sessions with cardio. The beginning cardio is slow and steady, but then builds up to an exhausting workout. The ending cardio is constant, but at a medium level. I do not give up until I feel the burn. Additionally, I push myself farther each time I run, jog or ride the bike. If I ran twenty minutes last time, I will run twenty-two this time. Or, I will do more sprints during the run. --------At your age and amount of grappling and other traiing you do be carfull overdoing the extra cardio. You will overtrain/injure yourself rather quickly. You may want to limit jogging/running. Increased work and reduced calories set up a real catabolic situation (increased cortisol). 5. I begin to lift weight three times per week. I do more interval training and general conditioning than very specific exercises. I lift until I feel the burn. My movements are slow and deliberate on the positive and negative. ----I would like to know more about this section since the amount of muscle you keep or loss during a diet is heavily dictated by how you lift. 6. I force myself to get more sleep. I also make sure to rest a full day in between workouts. ------GREAT 7. Finally, I try to lower the levels of stress in my life by relaxing fully on the weekends. =------Great Adam
4/5/04 1:52 PM
Adam Singer

Edited: 05-Apr-04
Two points I am trying to make. When it comes to S&C many people have problems repeating work done for the same purpose. So for instance if you are grappling, doing cardio and lifting all with the goal of anerobic conditioning than you are doing to many things for one system. Point two, certain forms of traiing will help the qualities below them. For instance anerobic conditioning will help aerobic but not vice versa. Maximal strenght training will affect almost every other strenght quality below it. Adam
4/9/04 7:37 PM
Tap Me

Edited: 09-Apr-04
I know everybody's different, but when I eat fruit it makes it harder to control what I eat. Half an hour later, I get ravenous. I'm a diet soda junkie. When prices rose over $2.50 per 12 pack right after the new year, I quit consuming it, changing nothing else in my diet, and started losing weight faster. Not sure why. Prices dropped and I started consuming again, and it got harder to lose weight. Not sure why calorie-free soda seems to be preventing weight loss. I've noticed that lots of this type of stuff has changed as I've lost weight, however. At 180lbs, I could eat a diet with more simple carbs and not be starving all the time. Now, I'm hungry unless I eat either more starches or protein, and less sugar. Not sure why.
4/21/04 9:56 PM
Doomsday

Edited: 21-Apr-04
i dont train very much, not a good thing, but when i do i find great results in simple things. I eat less, and more often. I dont train any more than i feel like training. when i am training i start slow and end up going all out. but when i'm gassing i rest, i dont keep going. i'll even stop during sparring for a few seconds. my training partners are cool with this. I've noticed my condition improve greatly through this laziness. i am much smoother and faster also. I dont do anything other than body weight stuff and sport specific training, like shadowboxing, sparring, mitwork. The heavy bag kicks my ass so i dont really do it much. I hate running, so i dont. I wont say my cardio is good, but i think thats largely due to the fact that i seldom train for more than a couple months at a time then dont train at all for a long time. Maybe this isn't the best way to train, but it allows me to enjoy my training and competition. I think that in itself makes a lot of difference.
4/22/04 7:06 AM
Zero1
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Apr-04
O.k. Roy when you come to Germany you don´t get any food only water and some salad.;-);-);-)
4/22/04 10:28 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 22-Apr-04
Well, I am now down to 231 lbs. I have been going back and forth between 230 and 234. My main problem are the recent lemon meringue pies. I just couldn't stay away from them ! ) However, I am on a mission to get into the 220's by next week. I will let you all know how I do. Back in my late twenties to middle thirties, I could lose ten pounds in a week and keep it off. But now that my metabolism has slowed down considerably, it's a little more difficult to shed weight. However, I am determined to get back to 218 lbs ! ) Roy Harris
4/23/04 8:07 AM
Doomsday

Edited: 23-Apr-04
You'll get it Roy! :)
4/23/04 8:12 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy, Roy, Roy, I'm worried about you. BUT since it is your body and since you say you know you're metabolism I'll trust and pray you're going about this in a safe and correct way. Best wishes!
4/23/04 8:33 PM
Roy Harris

m.g., Why on earth would you worry about me? Roy
4/24/04 12:03 PM
m.g

Edited: 24-Apr-04
Roy, Because you're worth worring about :) I'm just concerned about the quick weight loss. I think you can lose weight a little at a time naturally instead in huge chucks deliberally. I know alot of people have done this in their past and I also know alot of people seem to naturally lose alot of weight because of their metabolism. I'm one of those people. But we have to keep in mind what exactly accounts for that weight lost. Alot of it is water weight. We also need to be mindful of what exactly is happen to or bodies when we lose weigh. Also in the recent years, because of my exposure via my college experiences, I've learn alot about the body, have it works and how it response to various stimulus etc. The one thing I now know and have learned is there are consequences to rapid weight loss. You often lose more than just weight in the process. And the rapid weight loss put you at greater risk for things such as stroke and other life threaten and life altering things. Remember what happen to Luther Vandross?
4/24/04 1:09 PM
Adam LaClair

ImposeYourWill.com
I have read several papers that stated their was evidence to show that the human body will "protect" itself from sudden (relative) "starvation" by scavenging muscle tissue, shedding water weight, and even decreasing the metabolism. (The source of the "Yo-yo diet effect). Although it's been quite a while since I've studied this topic, the consnesus from what I remember was that you could only lose about 2-3 pounds of bodyfat in a week before your body "rebels" against your efforts; Studies showed that the severely obese could lose much more (double to triple), but that doing so was very stressful on the heart and other major organs. Roy, I think 10 pounds a month is a very realistic and safe goal, especially considering your present age, weight, lifestyle, etc. I have to agree with m.g. that you are worth worrying about :-), and that losing too much FAT (the term "weight" is too non-specific, let's call a spade a spade!!) at once can be very unhealthy. Adam
4/24/04 1:40 PM
m.g

Roy, Like Adam said losing 10 pounds in a month (which works out to about alittle more than 2 pounds a week) is very safe and reasonable goal. You haven't told us exactly how your losing the weight, I will say this one of my professor told me that the absolutely best and most efficient way to lose weight particular in regards to breaking down and burning fat is physical exercise and activity. Incidently what is your body fat percentage?
4/24/04 3:45 PM
Roy Harris

Adam and m.g., Thanks for your concern. However, please know that I do not do anything harmful to my body. What I have found that works for me is written above (in the sixth post). I will write it again: 1. I drink more water, less soda. 2. I eat more fruits and vegetables and less fatty foods. 3. I eat an apple before every meal. 4. I do a lot of cardio. 5. I lift weight three times per week. 6. I sleep more. 7. I lower the levels of stress in my life by relaxing on weekends. My body fat percentage is 16%. My goal is to get this number down to 10%. Roy Harris
4/24/04 7:21 PM
m.g

Edited: 24-Apr-04 07:13 PM
Roy, Okay. But if you don't mind can I use some of the information you have provide to calculate some nutrition information for you? You don't have to do anything with this information. You don't have to heed to it or anything like that. It will be pretty much FYI. I'll figure out your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) and from that determine how much calories you need to take in daily just to stay active and functioning. As well as a host of other information that is related to nutrition. I already have, from your post, most of the information I need to make the calculations: age, height, weight, goal weight for weight loss, current body fat percentage, desired body fat percentage. I'm learning how to do this in my Nutrition and Sport Performance Class so it (how I determine and make the calculations) isn't dubious or BS. It is the same calculations Resister Nutritionist use for their clients including professional athletes. Since I am learning how to do this and since I've already, as class project, made calculation for athletes on the schools team (under the suervision of the Professor of the course) I figure why not get more practice. So give me the okay and I'll start calculating away.
4/24/04 8:17 PM
owenz

Roy, stay away from Al's French Fries! (Adam knows what I am talking about). Good luck on your quest.
4/24/04 11:56 PM
Roy Harris

owenz, The method I wrote about works. It has worked for me several times. And, I've seen it work for several of my friends back in Minnesota. I don't remember the name of the diet that used a this formula, however, I personally watched several of my friends lose weight and keep it off over a period of two years. My pastor back in Minnesota lost 70 lbs in one year. His wife lost 20 lbs. in one year. They were able to keep the weight off because they were eating healthier foods, weaning themselves down to manageable quantities of "not-so-good" foods and walking 20 minutes in the morning adn 20 minutes at night. They still ate ice cream, burgers and pizza. But instead of eating it a couple of times each week, they ate it a couple of times each month or two. By the way, what are Al's french fries? The key question is, "Are they good?" Roy :>)
4/26/04 5:04 AM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 26-Apr-04
ImposeYourWill.com
Roy, "Al's" is where we got the chili dogs from. And yes, the fries are good!! (But, quite high in cholesterol and fat calories, too!) Actually, you've already had them - the double cheeseburger and fries and coke that Jan picked up for you during the seminar came from Al's. :) Adam
4/26/04 5:38 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 26-Apr-04
Aw yeah...........................Al's.............all the way ! ) Roy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.