UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Travelling alone?????

4/3/04 12:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lefonquey1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Apr-04

Who here besides me prefers to travel alone??? I've been all over the place alone and find that people are more receptive to the "lonely american".
4/3/04 2:32 AM
HELWIG

I think you have to be a loner in general to really like that. Like going to the movies alone is hardcore.
4/3/04 5:05 AM
nogamejones

I have always traveled alone. I prefer it. Admittedly, I've stuck to English speaking countries.
4/3/04 1:01 PM
lefonquey1

I don't think so, Helwig... I'm definately not a loner, but I will go to the movies alone with no problem at all. Sometimes there's not anyone around to go with. As far as travelling alone, I enjoy it better because I do get a little lonely and am therefore more apt to approach and meet new people, which is 80% of the reason I enjoy travelling so much. Plus, people are more likely to invite one person to parties, home to dinner, and even to bed than they are 2 or more people. You also don't have to worry about agreeing where to go and what to do.
5/8/04 11:49 AM
norm4475
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-May-04
I've done both and I totally prefer to travel alone to travelling with friends. People always approach you when you are alone but if I am with friends, people are more afraid to interrupt you. I also make the effort to get my solo ass to places that are a bit out of the way when alone. I am sort of stuck in the tourist traps if with friends.
5/13/04 11:51 PM
Pratty
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-04
I've always travelled alone. I like to go places on a whim. Another person makes that difficult....
7/16/04 4:45 AM
Eric Shin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jul-04
I've flown alone, kinda refreshing but I useally meet up with friends when I get to my destinantion. I could do both the alone trip or travel with friends but if I go to someplace scenic I would rather have friends there to share the experience.
7/21/04 2:06 PM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 21-Jul-04
I have travelled the world alone. I've lived by myself in a few different countries. I also go to the movies alone every weekend. I RELISH time alone, because it's rare. People (for the most part) burn me out. They drone on about their selves to the point that I am saturated with crud. People have lost the art of a two-way conversation. Travelling alone is a refreshing break. Short story on the merits of travelling alone. I went to Canada w/ my immediate family and another couple. Man, I was so stoked, I wanted to see EVERYTHING. Everyone was being so touristy and wanted to stop at all the typical sites, easier and safer. At lunch I said: "You guys can do what you want, I'm going into the old sector of downtown, if you guys don't want to go, I 'll go alone." Everyone was shocked. "You shouldn't travel alone, it's not safe. What if you get mugged? What if you get lost? How will you find us? You've never been in this country before. Etc." I said "Where are you guys going to be in 6 hours (8:00)?" They said the Insectarium (near the old Olympic stadium). I said I'll see you there at 8. I got up and left. I then went onto have one of the most memorable traveling experiences. The dozens of street performers RAWKED, tattoo artists, the beautiful old buildings, the waterfront, some great beer, rotties, food, etc. I purposely brought a video camera, to show everyone what their scared little selves missed out on. Anyhow, to make a long story short. I was 5 minutes late. After watching the vid footage there was some regret. Lesson learned.
9/29/04 6:11 PM
chokedummy

Edited: 29-Sep-04
I've been to Australia, Turkey and Malaysia alone. For most the reasons already stated above I've found it quite ok to travel alone. In all of those countries I have native friends that I spent some time hanging out with, and part of the trip travelling on my own. When I was backpacking around australia I saw several couples and 2-3 friends travelling together. I wouldn't say all of them but certainly alot of them stuck to eachother mainly, like rented twinbed rooms and sat in a corner in the bar talking to eachother instead of hanging out with the rest of us.
10/27/04 4:11 PM
Aussie Gumby

Edited: 27-Oct-04
I agree with lefonquey1 - I have done alot of travelling and have always done it alone. It lets you do what you want to do without having to compromise... and why should you have to compromise! I always liked checking out of a hostel, wandering up to the train station and flipping a coin to decide where I was going next - a great way to spend a couple of years! Travelling alone would suck if you were staying in hotels, but in hostels there are soooo many people doing the same that it forces you to go and meet people. You also become alot more self confident. Also - most of my travelling has been in non-English speaking countries - cos all the English speaking ones are very interchangeable as far as I'm concerned (altho I have to say NYC truly was great!) - no dramas That said - I probably wouldn't want my sister to do the same. You may say I have double standards, but it is much safer for a guy - and I'm 6'7" 225 - so alot of the shit that may happen, may not have as a result.
11/8/04 12:29 PM
cakegirl
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Nov-04
I usually travel alone, but arrange to meet up with people I know in some of the destinations.
1/6/05 12:28 AM
the venerable dr wu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Jan-05
like others have said it depends on who you are, having the freedom to do what you want is good, you will meet a lot of people in Hostels you might not if you were with mates, oh and the natives LOVE a solo traveller! gets you a place to sleep after a hours conversation on a train!
1/7/05 2:09 AM
barbarian
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jan-05
There's nothing I hate more than travelling alone. I used to be the exact opposite but now I can't stand my own company. I would rather go somewhere with my worst enemy than to have to go alone. I go nuts.
9/25/05 9:37 AM
Brendasu

Edited: 25-Sep-05
it definitely depends on the country and your gender.
1/12/06 5:00 PM
WarpathFightGear

Edited: 12-Jan-06
I agree that traveling alone opens you up to way more new people and lets YOU determine what kind of vacation you have. I like the hostel idea, may have to try that one!
2/19/06 11:19 PM
sepe

Edited: 19-Feb-06
I went to Australia alone...it was pretty cool to spend a month in another country with very little around that you were comfortable with. I only spoke to family once or twice the entire time I was there. My only regret was that I didn't have a good video camera.
2/26/06 7:44 PM
bluenoser

Edited: 26-Feb-06
Always did my travelling alone.Loved language barriers and developing understandings.Got married and have had great a many trips with my wife. Travelling alone I was observing and aborbing more whereas travelling with my wife had us sharing our experiences. Both are cool
2/8/07 6:39 PM
rkjmd

Edited: 08-Feb-07
ttt
2/16/07 4:34 PM
Kevin Riegle

Edited: 16-Feb-07
I have done 3 trips alone, Mexico, Canada, Panama and Costa Rica. Also a trip around the US via Amtrak. Best way to travel.
2/16/07 9:44 PM
simthefarmer

Edited: 16-Feb-07
you meet more people when travelling alone. The people you meet are what makes travelling so nice.
6/14/08 8:12 PM
Matthew Crispy

Every man faces death by himself. Alone.
6/18/08 3:44 PM
FlashGordon2002

Both are cool.

What gets me are people who can't seem to do anything without a whole bunch of peeps around them. Safety in numbers, I guess.
8/24/08 6:38 PM
gorgesjorj
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TAGGRadio.com, Host
travling alone is relaxing. you always get to do what you want.

when i go with buddies, we've definitely had some great times that i won't forget but there have also been times when we argue over money, things to do, etc.

i'd still rather have someone over going alone but they both are fine.
9/19/09 12:39 AM
kimohapa

I'm in the Marines so I am always surrounded by others and "technically" I'm supposed to stay around them, but I break off on my own as soon as possible. If you use good street sense and good common sense without be judgemental I believe you have the best times of your life.
11/6/09 4:01 AM
gregbrady
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF

The 7th thread from the top on the travel ground was started on 2004? Holy shit this forum is ded.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.