UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> What do you think of this?

4/5/04 11:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
1groovyunit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Apr-04

I posted a thread a few weeks ago entitled 'free TSD-a tempting offer?' regarding a really high level TSD old-school black belt who offered to let me come down and train. They still do forms but a lot of the guys there are also boxers and they spar pretty frequently, about 50% contact most of the time I understand. They train throws, multiple attacker scenarios, etc. Anyway, a friend of mine is yelling in my ear about passing up a golden opportunity to train with a master and why don't I stop dicking around and get my black belt in something, etc. (I used to train in goju-ryu and TKD, have a brown belt in those systems) I would maintain that if black belt were my goal I would train in judo or continue in BJJ, something more consistent with what I have been doing. I took BJJ for a year and JKD for a while and, much to my disappointment, I could no longer afford to train (didn't tell my instructors that is why) so I took up boxing and saved a little cash for training. I would like to go back to BJJ when I can afford it (have the chance to train with Ricardo Almeida, who is legendary in BJJ) and pursue rank in that. Anyway, in all honesty I feel like taking up TSD would be a step backward, but a lot of people on here maintain that there are an awful lot of other benefits to training, plus his guys can FIGHT, it's an inner city dojo and his guys are all seasoned, or have used it in real situations. I am 32 and my time is not infinite. It's an inexpensive training option but I still wonder if I should not take on more than I could handle and let this opportunity pass, which is what I am inclined to do right now. I'm looking for other perspectives, what do you think?
4/6/04 10:13 AM
tjmitch
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Apr-04
Like I said on the other thread....free sparing partners alone makes it worth while. And you just might learn something. Stop dicking around and go.
4/6/04 10:40 AM
Millenium Falcon
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second that. You answered your own question when you wrote: "...it's an inner city dojo and his guys are all seasoned, or have used it in real situations." Done. Go. You may learn more about fighting from these guys than you learn anywhere. You may even learn all you need to about grappling from these guys. What's your goal, to be a wizard on the mat or a good fighter? If it's the latter, throw down with the TSD guys, homes.
4/6/04 4:42 PM
jsteinmann

Well, here's the question I have for you: Why do you train? I ask only because reading your posts, I'm not clear if you're training is focused on self-defense, competition, learning a martial art (though I assume you're not too concerned with that, if you're not worried about gaining rank anytime soon), or what. If you're interested in self-defense...it sounds like the guy might have something to teach you. If you're interested in MMA, or some other competitive format, than it might not be worth it. If your goal is to become a BJJ black belt, or whatever, then it definitely might not be worth it. Why do you feel it's taking a step backward? Because they do forms? Because it's a 'traditional' martial art? Figure out what you want, and then figure out if it's going to help you get there. Just some thoughts...
4/6/04 5:01 PM
1groovyunit

Honestly, I train because I love it. Part of my 'problem' (my words) is that I have a deep respect for all of the martial arts and really would like to embrace almost all of the arts. Combat effectiveness is a big one for me. Boxing has helped me to learn to handle tremendous amounts of pressure, and the little grappling I know I am sure would save me in a real situation. I suppose I am still a little 'gun shy' because I know that a lot of martial arts schools who claim to teach traditional arts are watered down shadows of what they could be and have let go of any training methodology that could be effective if the time ever came for them to defend themselves. I dunno, still and all I can't afford to go to the BJJ or JKD school I used to go to, we just bought a house and are saving for a wedding etc, so maybe it's all I could get for now. I suppose maybe I am falling victim to the constant bombardment of ranting by JKD/MMA guys that 'traditional stuff doesn't work' so it's making me a little hesitant?
4/6/04 5:03 PM
1groovyunit

By the way this guy's teacher was the same guy who taught Chuck Norris.
4/6/04 5:28 PM
jsteinmann

"I suppose maybe I am falling victim to the constant bombardment of ranting by JKD/MMA guys that 'traditional stuff doesn't work' so it's making me a little hesitant? " Could be ;-) The truth is, a lot of the time, the JKD/MMA guys are right - a great many 'traditional' martial artists can't fight. But that doesn't mean that NONE of them can...some can, and do. Maybe these guys can really throw down. Maybe they can't. But you won't find out asking anyone on this board. Go check out a class. The worst thing that happens is that you spend a couple of hours and go 'enh...not for me.'. On the other hand, you might go 'hey, this stuff is pretty neat. I'm gonna keep doing it!' You'll never find out 'til you go.
4/6/04 8:04 PM
glock4life
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The new sparring partners thing would sell me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.