UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Montreal this August

4/7/04 2:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lefonquey1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Apr-04

I'm looking for a nice, inexpensive place to go and spend a couple of weeks this August. What do you guys know about Montreal? I've been there before for the jazz festival a few years back, but was only there for a weekend and didn't get to see much of the city. Any recommendations and things to do, places to stay? I am planning to take some french classes and would probably stay with a canadian family for the language immersion. Any thoughts?
4/7/04 11:48 PM
tristar
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Apr-04
you are asking the right guy, I'm from Montreal. how old are you btw? you looking to party or to do some sight seeing, or both?
4/8/04 12:08 PM
lefonquey1

Edited: 08-Apr-04 12:00 PM
I'm 30 You're from Montreal?? Sweet... I'm thinking about driving up there from Cleveland for 2 weeks this August to take french classes at the International Language School of Canada. I guess it's downtown on Ste. Catherine Street. They have home stay programs that allow you to live with a french family for total immersion. It sounds like it would be really fun, and the whole thing would cost only about $850 for the whole time. My primary goals are to improve my french, party and do some sight seeing. I'd like to check out Quebec and some other cool places in the region too. My only concern is having to stay with some stuffy family that isn't going to like the fact that I would be getting drunk and staying out late every night. I went to the jazz festival 4-5 years ago, but that's the only time I've ever been up there... from what I remember, it was really a cool city. I've been all over France several times, but don't have the time or the necessary funds to go there. If you have any recommendation or thoughts, that would be great. You ever heard of that school? What do you know about the party scene??
4/8/04 12:43 PM
tristar
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Apr-04
I know that there are many schools here that you can take French lessons. I'm not so sure about that one, but there must be a ton. Party scene I can definitly help you out. If you are going to be staying in a hotel/motel, you want to be either downtown or in Old Montreal. They are very close to each other. You are better off staying around there because you will most likely be spending your time in those areas. The further away you get from the downtown area... the cheaper the hotel rate. But getting around here is easy (bus, metro). If you can find a cool family to stay with, go for it, but there is great partying here, so you will definitly be getting in late. Nightlife here is great. When you go party you want to be near St. Laurent Street and St. Catherine street. Tons of bars there. The nicer lounge type bars are on St. Laurent though. Tons of hot girls around there too. That's where I like going out too. Bunch of after hour clubs too, if you are into that. Also, try to be here during the Grand Prix. Whether you actually go to the race or not, the city is booming during that time! Also the comedy festival is a great time here. Some of the best comics in the world are here performing. Jazz festival you've been to so you know what's up there. Make sure you get in some sightseeing too. Go check out the old port (Old Montreal) It's beautiful there and also a great time at night. Some cool bars and some great restaurants. Even fun just to walk around there and check stuff out. Whatever time you choose, summer time in Montreal is awesome! Let me know if you have more questions about anything.
4/8/04 1:10 PM
lefonquey1

Yeah... thanks for the info!!! I was figuring that I'd stay with the family for the week, but rent a hotel room on the weekend so I don't have to worry about disturbing them when I come stumbiling in at 5 AM. I remember the girls... from the jazzfest... Although most of them needed a tan, they were still hot as hell. What's the demographic of english speakers there? I seem to recall that there are English and French sections of the city? What about Quebec... that's very french, right?
4/8/04 1:45 PM
tristar

Don't worry about not being able to speak French... especially if you are gonna be downtown. You'll get by with no problem. Quebec is a different story. You should still be fine though although it is primarly a francophone city. Still, if you are planning on visining there, you should, it's beautiful.
4/8/04 1:52 PM
lefonquey1

Non, Non, Non, je parle assez bien le francais... je cherche les francophones... je veux faire mieux ma francais.
4/8/04 7:35 PM
tristar

lol, you probably speak French better than I do.
4/8/04 8:14 PM
lefonquey1

You're from Montreal and you don't speak french? That surprising... They say it's the second most populous french speaking city in the world. Are most people there bilingual?
4/8/04 9:41 PM
MongrelKoi

people speak french in montreal? cresent st to pick up young ens ;)
4/9/04 4:44 PM
tristar

Edited: 09-Apr-04
No, I do speak French, but could be better at it. It's mostly bilingual, but depeneds what part of the city you are in.
4/9/04 5:49 PM
lefonquey1

Edited: 09-Apr-04
I'll be there from 8/15 to 8/29... Is the grand prix or comedy festival happening then?
4/10/04 12:39 AM
tristar

Edited: 10-Apr-04
pretty sure grand prix is in June not sure about comedy festival though. I'll look it up
10/17/04 10:29 PM
Nebuchadnezzar

Edited: 17-Oct-04
hey guys - can you recommend a hotel that's as close to st. laurent as possible? the closest i could find was a travelodge that looked pretty shoddy.. (but would rather stay near the loungy parts of st laurent than st catherine!)
10/18/04 10:49 AM
tristar

Edited: 18-Oct-04
there are bunch on Sherbrooke that are very nice. They actually just built a brand new hotel on the corner of Sherbrooke and St. Laurent that I'm alomst 100% sure is open now. I'll find out the name for you. and I'll find some others. keep this ttt'd to remind me
10/18/04 3:46 PM
Nebuchadnezzar

hey thanks tristar -- i made a reservation for chateau royal on st. catherine, but really want to cancel it (i think i'd really prefer st. laurent). (there are 3 of us though -- and chateau royal has a pull out couch which is perfect)
10/18/04 6:04 PM
Nebuchadnezzar

hey again! i researched a little online and found the hotel i think you're talking about -- is it the hotel godin? looks fantastic, and i'm going to call for rates tonight... but it does look pricey. do you have any other suggestions near st. laurent?
10/19/04 10:38 AM
tristar

Edited: 19-Oct-04
hey man, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. computer at home is messed up so can and only use my office computer. ya, it is called the Hotel Godin, but don't think it's open yet. There is also the new W hotel in Old Montreal which should be pretty nice. Check out the Sofitel on Sherbrooke. Have a friend that usually stays there when she comes in... seems pretty good.
10/19/04 9:56 PM
Nebuchadnezzar

Edited: 20-Oct-04 11:33 AM
thanks for the info tristar -- think you could email me when you have a chance? thanks dude!
10/20/04 9:27 AM
tristar

Edited: 20-Oct-04
email sent yesterday. Under my real name so don't erase it by mistake. Josh

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.