UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Guard control questions

4/20/04 11:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Prik Khee Noo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Apr-04

I hope the window for question-asking is still open... 1) Closed guard control. It is my current understanding that control in closed guard boils down to one thing- breaking the passer's posture. I must admit I only know two tricks- a) pulling behind the elbows while pulling with the legs and b) snapping a grip with two hands (usually one hand on cuff, the other behind), pulling up either into arm drag or whizzer. The problem is neither works against anyone halfway decent. They'll grab either the pants or the belt, which makes grip-breaking very difficult and they'll keep their elbows very tight, which makes pulling them forward impossible. What more should I be doing? What more can I do? 2) On the converse side, however, when I am passing a bigger stronger guy (15-20 kg heavier), they can break my grip just fine even if I am grabbing the pants, elbows down and palm heel digging into the ribs. This is analogous to no-gi, where it is harder to find something to grab. It would seem that the tactic to pursue is not to anchor your upper body statically, but to "pat" your way into posture. Push and away without stopping. Is this right? 3) Open guard control. It seems that most open guard control comes from the push/pull effect. You pull on either the collar, cuff or pant leg and push on the hips or the biceps. It's the effort of the passer to stay balanced that gets him swept (or pulled into a sub). Which would mean when you're going into open-guard it is as important to get a good grip as it is put your feet in the right place. This all sounds so basic, but I am just beginning to develop an open guard game. Are I right so far? I am trying to understand the feel and basics of open guard control. Thank you in advance, Mr. Harris. I've always found your conceptual approach very helpful.
4/21/04 1:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-May-04 01:11 PM
If an opponent grabs his pants while you are attempting to pull his arm out of posture, you must follow up with another technique because the current technique you are working on has been neutralized. The same applies when an opponent tucks his elbow inward. Following up is the key to progression. Some might ask, "Well, what can I follow up with?" The answer is very simple: "Follow up with a basic technique that you already know. Stop focusing on the wall of resistance you experienced an d dig deep into your bag of knowledge. What techniques work great when an opponent's elbows are tucked in? How about triangle? Guillotine choke? Hip bump? Etc... Do you see how an opponent can only tuck his elbows or flare his elbow? I don't understand number 2. You are correct on number 3. However, keep in mind there must be a balance between the push and the pul. Sometimes the push is more important. Other times, the pull is more important. Roy Harris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.