UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Fighting Bigger, Stonger Guys

4/20/04 11:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Prik Khee Noo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Apr-04

I know you're asked about this all the time, Mr. Harris, but hopefully the way I phrase my question won't be contemptibly prosaic. I know you're a big advocate of the slow, deliberate game. So am I. I think training that way, even though sometimes in the beginning you get caught by more physical people, eventually you develop a more nuanced, subtle game. Now, I hope I can be excused for an injection of some of my own conceptual framework. One thing a slow approach develops very well is the use of leverage, or what the Brazilians will call base. This is both on your back and on top. This is basically putting your body in a position to exert power. This is what makes good practitioners seem very heavy (on top or bottom). I think I am coming along rather well in that department. A purple belt commented today that I felt heavier than my weight. (He was my weight.) The problem is: when I go against guys who are a lot heavier and/or stronger, this emphasis on base is counter-productive. Or, rather, I feel I should be working on a more dynamic version of base, rather than an "anchored" base. My instructor was telling me today not to go against my bigger opponent's force, but to use his force. I then realised I didn't really have a conceptual framework for that. I guess this is what I am asking: could you give me some pointers on how to develop a flowing, soft game to complement my based, leveraging game?
4/21/04 12:47 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-04
The best way to train this is to close your eyes and learn to follow an opponent's force. In other words, learn to compliment his force rather than resist it. When an opponent pushes his arms or body into yours, learn to move back and then immediately sideways. When an opponent pushes on your head, allow your head to move with the force as he rest of your body moves laterally. Roy Harris
4/21/04 12:54 PM
Prik Khee Noo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you for the reply, sir. I will try that tomorrow. Is there a way to deal with pulls? Or is the game in somehow preventing the grip?
4/21/04 1:02 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When an opponent pulls, you must learn to follow that pressue as well. Learn how to let your opponent pull you past his guard! Roy Harris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.