UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Phil Hughes Grappling Dummy Review

4/20/04 6:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gubbs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Apr-04

I recently received my grappling dummy that I ordered from Phil Hughes. I want to thank Phil for putting together an awesome training tool. I've tried many times to put together a good grappling dummy, but they never came out the way I wanted. Phil's dummy has exceeded my expectations. While the dummy was being built, Phil kept in constant contact with me letting me know how things were going. He also wanted feedback on how I planned on using the dummy so he could build it with my plans in mind. Once the dummy was shipped, Phil sent me the tracking number so I knew where my order was. The dummy itself is very solid. It weighs just under 60 lbs, but it feels a lot heavier. I'm still in the breaking in phase, but I am able to practice submissions and different combinations like I wanted from various positions. I've been able to practice my mount and side mount escapes with it as well. Whether you just want to get some extra practice in on drilling techniques or maybe you lack training partners, Phil's dummy will definately help you out and is worth the investment.
4/24/04 3:41 PM
Flashman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Apr-04
How much is it and does Phil ship internationally? I'm in the UK.
4/28/04 11:46 PM
P

Edited: 29-Apr-04 03:31 PM
Flashman, Here's some brief info for you to check out. I do ship internationally and just charge actual shipping cost. Drop me an e-mail with your address and I can give you a ball park shipping cost. A fully custom built dummy is $399 US Dollars + S&H. Height and Weight I usually make them to represent a 6' 170lb person (ie. me). The actual weight is about 60-70 lbs. HOWEVER...they are "Custom Made"...So if it's do able, and you’ll pay for it, I'll do it. Abuse It'll take pretty much what you can dish out. I don't recommend Running over it with a car or slashing it with a samurai sword, but that being said, you can beat the living crap out of it. It can be used as a throwing dummy, or as a lifelike striking tool that feels more like a human being than a heavy bag. Stand Up Usage The dummy can be hung up using a very simple harness much like aheavy bag. The feet of the dummy should be allowed to rest on the floor and will resemble a wrestler in a crouch. Plans for a base are included at no charge. This base will allow the dummy to be used to actively train submissions, reversals and strikes from the ‘guard’ (or any bottom position) without having to reset and maintaining the ‘feel’ of working with a partner in good base. This mount is useable with any grappling dummy currently available that has bendable arms and legs. Testimonials “Starting this past Sunday, I started drilling with the dummy. It is everything you promised. It overly met my expectations. The key to the dummy is the platform you built…it is invaluable. I am so happy, every night before I go to bed I do a 100 armbars and 25 triangles. Can you believe that! Imagine how tight my guard attack game is going to be in the next six months. I can't believe how well I can do guard work with my dummy.” C. Williams ********** “I was pleased that your dummy has some "life", it gives resistance To moves, keeps a better fighting posture, and even grabs back (especially when he mounts - he maintains a very close mount that causes claustrophobia!) When transitioning from position to position one has to contend with his limbs being in the way and pushing back - just like on a real person.” B. Carriker ********** "I can say from first hand experience that these dummies are of absolute top quality. It moves, and feels just like a real human! Its amazing, just give it a try and you will love it." Rob Tallack, Tallack Family Martial Arts ********** "The skeleton is fully movable. It provides resistance in every joint. You can fish hook, eye gouge, grab the clavicle and so on. The way it's padded it has Pecs, Lats and so on. They are pretty awesome. The value of the dummy of course is: 1. There are some things you cannot do to your human training partner, but you can do to your dummy (like your basic: head butt, gouge, knee, figure four to the cranium, ear bite technique) 2. Your partner may not be interested in letting you do 57 arm bars in a row. 3. Your partner may not be around. 4. Great for a school. 5. Great for circuit. 6. Great for an UNDERGROUND group that trains hard-core." Tony Blauer, President, Blauer TCMS ********** Don’t hesitate to e-mail me if you have any 'specific' questions. Play Safe, P. phil_hughes@hotmail.com
4/30/04 1:37 PM
gubbs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Apr-04
Phil, I am having a blast with mine. Thanks again for the great work! Steve W.
5/1/04 8:30 AM
wrestlingrick

Edited: 01-May-04
Nice reviews!
5/7/04 11:04 PM
P

Edited: 10-May-04 02:55 PM
Steve, I'm really glad you're enjoying it. Every dummy is a one of a kind, it feels like a personal piece of art... they're hard to give up sometimes :-) It feels great when I get feedback like yours! Thanks again and enjoy! Phil
5/11/04 9:01 PM
gubbs

Edited: 11-May-04
Well Phil...If your ever in Upper Michigan feel free to stop by and visit. I bet the dummy would love to his creator again. :)
7/9/04 9:31 PM
shumy

Edited: 09-Jul-04
Hi Phil, Did you ever teach courses in Montreal at the tri-star gym ?? Shumy
7/11/04 6:03 PM
P

Edited: 11-Jul-04
Shumy, Yep, that was me. Did we meet? P.
7/11/04 11:08 PM
shumy

Edited: 11-Jul-04
Hi Phil, No I did not have the pleasure of meeting you, but I heard alot of great things about you through John...hope one day I get to meet you and exchange some ideas!! Shumy
7/16/04 5:11 PM
easternfighter

Edited: 16-Jul-04
OK. Here is brief(:)) PHIL HUGHES grappling dummy review: First of all I would like to say, I did a LOT of research about grappling dummies -on net. Through several months studing and researching I found that probably the best dummies on market today are BUBBA and Phil dummy..from BJJ and clinch stand point. Last year, when I was in AUS, I got chance to see BUBBA on ELVIS ( SINOSIC) gym..I can tell you I liked it very much. But problem was ,..that it could be shipped (at that time via GRACIE TORRANCE ACADEMY) via UPS servise ONLY...which was extremely expensive ......I mean when delivery place is in EU and package weight was around 60lb! So BUBBA was out at that time. So I was searching again... without much success. Fortunately, this year I found out about NEW PHILL HUGHES DUMMY. I checked up PHOTOS from CANADIAN BJJ seminar, where Eddie(Bravo) showed his rubber guard stuff on PHIL´s dummy and I immediately felt it could be great or even better substitute for BUBBA. I am glad I was righ. I really do not want to compare both dummies (even I briefly saw BUBBA ), because I think both are THE BEST grappling DUMMIES on market today! So lets focus on PHIL dummy. In the beginning , I just asked Phil about his inovative product and he quickly replied. He explained me his new ideas...PLATFORM, WALL INSTALATION,....etc. WOW..it was really cool. I can tell you he got me! So through his several e-mails and researches which I did I decided to order it. He made my "personal" dummy version( which is almost similar like his regular one) in order to fit dummy in to BOX and overcome excessive shipping....which would be quite expensive. Also, in order to cut off shipping, we decided to send it via surface mail. I am glad it took just 6 weeks from Canada to Slovakia and I picked up the dummy today without any problems!
7/16/04 5:14 PM
easternfighter

CONT: I immediately tried to test it ! Through today´s 3,5 hours testing I can say this product is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!! Really:) It is simply one of the best pieces of equipment for ground and clinch solo training. Today I tried briefly almost majority of my defensive and offensive stuff on the ground. You can work almost everything.... positional escapes,dominace, breaking the postures,.....etc. Also because dummy has tensions in joints , it can hold positions and sometimes reacts just like human being! For example, when you do OMA PLATA from guard and try to wrench shoulder, dummy naturaly try to flip over shoulder just like human opponent (because the pressure from OMA PLATA put twist motion iside shoulder skeleton). But for me the most important aspect is PRESURE. This means, because the dummy can hold almost every position and majority POSTURES(yes, you have to be a little creative - of course...) you really have to work your ways THROUGH its resistance!! And this is awesome. For example, today I tried to use "SMASH" hug aroud the chest passes and set dummy in to "lazy man´s guard" positions! With proper angling and weight distribution, it is just pretty close like with human opponent - and you can pass it easily . But if you do not have correct technique , well - you will get stuck on the place and would be struggle to pass it! I was pretty surprised with this little discovery! The same thing is with posture breaking stuff from pins and mount position,......etc. Simply...dummy generates pressure........granted not just like human being.....but feeling is very REAL! AWESOME JOB PHIL!! Let´s go on. What separetes PHIL dummy from rest of dummies on market are his innovative ideas. PLATFORM and WALL attachement system. PLATFORM is very simple piece of equipmet where you can attach dummy and set it in to any major position (turtle, mount, sitting up pos. .. ,..etc.) and work your repetitions. You know the dummy holds this FIXED positions while you are working on your stuff.....defensive or offensive. But your training will be much more productive because you do not need to re-set dummy again and again after every rep!!! Simply brilliant idea.
7/16/04 5:15 PM
easternfighter

CONT: Morever, Phil sent me his "plans" for wall atachement system where you can work clinch from striking and from wrestling perspectiove and also OPEN guard stuff against standing opponent. And once again...there is resistance and some kind of pressure...which is key in my training! Very good and some innovative ides there...... I am going to get platform and wall system very soon and realy put dummy in to use! Well......what to say in the end.I would like say, that because drills and repetitions are must thing in ANY serious training. PHILL DUMMY is extremely valuable equipment!! Yes - it takes REALL discipline and a lot of dedication to do many reps, but with dummy it is much more affortable and fun .......... + he NEVER complains like my students! You know they like much more progressive resistance drills and even more sparring stuff... just like everybody else...but real key is to work on your rep and master subtle details of your HIGH % stuff. And dummy is perfect for that goal. So if you have a chance, get the dummy. It is just $395! Radek www.jkd.sk
7/18/04 6:16 PM
hanzocdp

Edited: 18-Jul-04
Hey Phil, I sent you some emails w/o a reply. Would you be willing to just sell the plans for the wall and floor platforms? Thanks in advance! hanzocdp@yahoo.com
8/5/04 7:08 PM
Zeke Dumas

Edited: 05-Aug-04
Hey Phil, Back in New England now and have my punch buddy with me. He's a great training partner, pretty regular, never misses a work-out, never cries about a beating either. You mentioned a scetch that you designed to mount the dummies feet to the floor? If so would you e-mail it to me? Another satisfied customer, Zeke (gillbilly@comcast.net)
8/16/04 11:37 PM
P

Edited: 16-Aug-04
Zeke! Good to hear from you. Glad to hear alls well. I'd be happy to send you plans but I only have hard copy at the moment. Can you send me your address to: philhughes@cogeco.ca P. PS: I live in, and make my dummies in Canada. I price in US as all but 6 of my dummies were sold there, and of those only 3 were in Canada :-).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.