UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> what is eagle claw kung fu

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/23/04 4:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zen writer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Apr-04

hey what exactly is eagle claw? What type of attributes does it seek to develop and what is its primary offense and defense.
4/23/04 5:17 PM
Willybone
507 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Apr-04
Short version: Northern style of kung fu that features very acrobatic moves, like jumping, spinning, and combination kicks, as well as flips and handsprings. They combine this with plenty of joint locks and breaks. The "Claw" of eagle claw is the grip used for locking, so it's all five fingers, instead of the Shaolin three fingers for ripping. Many different weapon forms, too.

Long version: Check out this site

It's my fiance's style. When we're play fighting, she often surprises me with some of the moves. It's some cool stuff.
4/29/04 9:51 AM
Willybone
507 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Apr-04
I was taking HKD when she was looking at different schools, and I went with her to the eagle claw school. I was struck by the similarities between that and HKD. Both had a strong emphasis on high kicks and joint locks. When I mentioned the school to my subumnim, he immediately mentioned the same thing because he'd hung out at their school before and noticed it.
She and I share joint locking techniques sometimes.
Awwww...
4/29/04 1:06 PM
rene.r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yingzhao Pai is supposedly developed by renowned Sung dynasty general Yue Fai (Ngok Fei), and was later combined with Fanzi Quan to form what is nowadays considered the YingZhao Pai system. As with most TCMA, there is a traditional version and a modern, more visually dynamic, Wushu-sport version.
4/29/04 2:06 PM
Willybone

Lueng Shum is strictly old school. If you break out in some kind of kickboxing technique, he'll call you "streetfighter", and he doesn't mean that as a compliment.
Although he admits he used to go looking for street trouble all the time to test his own skills as a kid.
4/29/04 5:06 PM
lkfmdc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Apr-04 05:17 PM
Willybone, I wonder where you got this, uhm, "interesting" claim Sifu Shum put a lot of guys into San Shou matches, most of his top guys are fighters....
4/30/04 10:46 AM
Willybone

Edited: 30-Apr-04 05:37 PM
Willybone, I wonder where you got this, uhm, "interesting" claim

My girl's going on 3 years there, so I hear a lot about the classes and the old man, and from seeing several classes myself.

Sifu Shum put a lot of guys into San Shou matches, most of his top guys are fighters....

There are some kickboxing folks in the school. Frank, the current head instructor, is apparently a good one who's studied other styles as well. Some of their other students are now training for matches in Florida in July.

I should have been more specific. I was referring to the post where rene.r mentioned a more newer, more wushu style of eagle claw. I was trying to say that Sifu Shum isn't changing eagle claw from what he was taught. My reference to "streetfighter" was sort of a tangent, and not really connected to the variation that rene mentioned.
He doesn't dislike san shou. He just doesn't teach that way in his eagle claw classes. The guys training in that kind of fighting aren't doing it in the regular classes, and it's not part of the regular eagle claw curriculum.
I didn't mean to imply that he's close minded about fighting.
5/3/04 3:00 PM
Ricky T
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-04
I met this Eagle claw practitioner thru a friend a number of years ago. He worked as a custodian at a museum and was from Hong Kong. He was about 6 feet tall and solid build . He showed me his right hand and it was twice the size of his left hand. It looked like a baseball glove. He'd spend his time at work ripping bark off the trees and literally flatten one side of a big tree with repeated punches. The tree was completely smooth on one side. He told me he could rip my heart out by cracking my breast bone and ripping out the bone with his hands and getting my heart. He also did some joint locks and some throat grabs with that oversized mitt of his. He also worked as a bodyguard for some triads in Hong Kong. He said he was certified to teach Eagle Claw, but he ended moving to St Louis to open a restaurant. I couldn't get over how large his one hand was.
5/3/04 3:27 PM
Willybone

Edited: 03-May-04
He told me he could rip my heart out by cracking my breast bone and ripping out the bone with his hands and getting my heart.

Fortunately, this is not one of the techniques that my girl practices on me.
Although, if she could do that, I'd hope she'd stop asking me to open jars for her all the time.
5/4/04 1:40 PM
Ricky T
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-04
The guy with the big right hand learned from Lau Fat Man, Gini Lau's dad.
5/15/04 10:26 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-May-04
He doesn't dislike san shou. He just doesn't teach that way in his eagle claw classes. The guys training in that kind of fighting aren't doing it in the regular classes, and it's not part of the regular eagle claw curriculum. Willy, this was similar to the way my san shou instructor taught classes. There was a very distinct and seperate class for "fighters" vs. his kung fu students and the two rarely crossed over.. well let me clarify that.. the kungfu students would try a class or two and decide that they didn't like getting hit so they would go back to their forms "to get better at fighting then I'll come back". Sifu knew the difference.
5/16/04 11:03 AM
SchillingsSchmegma
367 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-04
LOL..there seems to be alot of that going around in KF schools. 1/2 of the classes I attends arent even on the schedule.
5/17/04 5:09 PM
Willybone

Edited: 17-May-04
I'm going with the Ying Jow Pai folks to a tournament in Florida in July. My fiance's entering two forms events. I tried to convince her to try some point sparring at least, but she's wussin' out.
One of their guys, Peter, is entering the San Shou competition. I'm going to ask him about what kind of additional training he does outside of the Eagle Claw classes.
5/17/04 10:41 PM
SchillingsSchmegma
367 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-04
Willybone, have you ever attended the Hong Fei hung KF tournment in New Jersey?
5/18/04 10:40 AM
Willybone

Edited: 18-May-04
No, I rarely get across the river.
When does it take place?
5/18/04 10:59 AM
SchillingsSchmegma

Edited: 18-May-04
Its in Sept. I see Sifu Frank and his students there.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.