UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Any Silat people here?

4/27/04 5:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pfsjkd
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Apr-04

I'm talking traditional Silat, not just Silat as it's been incorporated into JKD.
4/27/04 9:54 AM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never taken it, but one of my judo teachers was also a silat practioner. Surreal footwork and stances to my eyes. I lacked the leg strength and flexibility to do half of what he showed me.
When I injured my back, I considered taking it, but I didn't think I could handle all the twisting motion.
4/27/04 5:12 PM
TenChiDo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although I study a style that incorporates elements of Silat, they are from the traditional Indonesian style of Mande Muda. My Sifu had the privilege to occasionally study under the late Pendekar Herman Suwanda. I recently attended a seminar and one of the instructors was demonstrating Mande Muda. Although I’m unable to consistently train in the specific style, I am always honored when I have the opportunity to do so. It is very difficult to find a local academy that offers traditional Pencak Silat, so I usually attend seminars and take advantage of the time we study it within my current art. It definitely is a fascinating and vicious art!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.