UnderGround Forums

Chris Brennan >> strategies when rolling

4/29/04 12:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShootGuy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Apr-04

What stratigies do you know/ incorporate when your rolling... (no striking)?
4/30/04 9:11 AM
jonpall

Edited: 30-Apr-04
Note that it's hard to answer this question because it's so broad.
4/30/04 9:49 AM
WestsideStrangler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Attack and if you catch the guy.......Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone.
4/30/04 1:27 PM
ShootGuy

I know it's a vague ? I'll try to thinkn of something more specific
5/1/04 12:20 AM
ShootGuy

Edited: 01-May-04
I'm talking about more specific stratigies. Off angles, High/Low, Broken rythym, Stop and Go, Attack by Combination, Attack by Draw, Block and Counter, Probe Step, etc. I have a bunch from striking and some translate well into BJJ, I'm just wondering if there's any I'm not aware of.
5/2/04 11:38 AM
jonpall

Edited: 02-May-04
If you're a white belt then any strategy other than learning the basics and putting some of them together in combinations is probably too advanced.
5/3/04 6:09 PM
ShootGuy

Edited: 03-May-04
I've been rooling for about 5 years. I'm just looking to improve my game by looking at the big picture. I'm big on theories, just want to spice up my training
5/5/04 12:08 PM
jonpall

Edited: 05-May-04
Royler Gracie's Submission Grappling book is good for strategies, FYI. Also, my Matt Thornton's Functional JKD Series 2 tapes are on their way to me and I've heard that there are good strategies and principles one those tapes. And finally, I've heard that Chris Brennan is a very good teacher and teaches stuff that really works with good and detailed technique, so you might also want to check HIS instructionals out.
5/5/04 12:16 PM
lazlo

Edited: 05-May-04
One of my favorite strategies is to find positions where you have two (or more) options and the response your opponent makes dictates the option you choose. Here's an example: Ok, so I like to pass guard by underhooking both legs, and getting a good grip on the opponents hips. Now from this position I have 2 main options, I can either come around the legs and get to side control, or flip the guy over to turtle and start riding him. I start coming around to side, he moves to block, so I flip him over. Now I'm on top. Ok I start going for a 3/4 nelson to turn him over. He turns away, I start working the choke. He goes back down, its back to the Nelson. Other common pairs are triangle/omopalata from guard, or arm triangle choke/armbar from the top, or shrimp to guard/go to knees for an escape. Basically his most likely defense from one move is a set up for the other, and you are ready to execute either move. They key is to figure out what moves work the best for you and base your game off of these moves. Then, when your are fighting, always bring the game to your set-up points, which you should have figured out for every position. Let me know what you think...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.