UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> History Degrees?

5/2/04 10:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mf doom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-May-04

This is inspired from a similiar thread on the History forum. My situation is this: I am changing course really soon and I am trying to pick between History and a Business Degree. I wouldn't mind doing some job related to business when I finish university but I have an avid interest in learning History. Some people I have asked say that some people would prefer a history degree over a business degree, so that they could teach me the required skills themselves and I go get a MBA on my own. Am I wrong in this train of thought?
5/3/04 1:49 AM
mf doom

Edited: 03-May-04
and Major in what? Or do you mean Major in one, minor in the other? Problem is I'm already minoring in Japanese studies.
5/3/04 6:39 AM
Slash
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-04
double minor
5/10/04 6:23 PM
subjitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-May-04
A double major in History and Economics would be marketable right out of school. Then after a few years of work, you could go back to graduate school for an MBA, History degree or Ecnomics degree. Hell, you could even get a Ph.D. in Economic History:) Just one suggesting of many on here.
5/12/04 2:03 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 12-May-04
I dont think you can create a great business person. Like alot of other skills, its something inherent that you either have or you dont. If studying history allows you enjoy school even just a little bit more then do it. Im a history minor and communications major. I fucking hate communications with a passion. But ive been worried for like 3 years about getting a job if I majored in history. I wont be getting a good job right out of school anyways and no im unhappy with the degree im going to have for the rest of my life.
5/24/04 11:28 AM
Juninho

Edited: 24-May-04
do history if you like it. At the same time try and get some decent work experience (during summer etc) if you are bothered about being employable afterwards. I did history, don't regret it at all.
5/29/04 10:56 PM
hekster

Edited: 29-May-04
It doesn't matter what your undergrad is for business. I have worked with Financial Advisors with Art History majors. Work experience is more important than the specific major in your undergrad. Do what you like and double minor, then do the MBA if you have the stamina.
6/5/04 2:55 PM
sjl932

Edited: 05-Jun-04
I have a double BA in history and economics. After undergrad I got a 1 year international MBA. When I was working in finance @ one of the bigger firms in NY most of my peers also had liberal arts backgrounds- almost all of us were either history or lit majors. History is excellent for a business career- its just that business careers are not excellent for people. I just quit my job in January to get away from the finance world- get a PhD in history and teach.
6/9/04 7:36 AM
mf doom

Edited: 09-Jun-04
Wow some interesting responses on here. It has definetely changed my view somewhat, I think I will look into a major in history and something like an economics or marketing minor. I'm already doing a minor in japanese studies as well though. Great responses.
6/10/04 9:59 PM
iblis73

Edited: 10-Jun-04
Go ahead and do history-but do WELL in history. In addition to the above sound advice look into taking some statistics (being able to quantify things with numbers will help in everything, even history.) Dont worry so much about your minor as you should about what SKILLS you will have. Eg-the ability to write well, the ability to speak well in front of others, the ability to reason, research and apply logic. Look at your ability to synthesize diverse data, analyze it and report it. Then the intangibles: human interaction, leadership, personality. BTW, Peter Lynch of Fidelity investments was some sort of classics or history major before getting his MBA.
6/10/04 10:08 PM
iblis73

Edited: 10-Jun-04
BTW, probably the best case you can make with a history degree is either a career in sales or in research/market research. I'm currently talking to a market research and growth consulting firm in an attempt to become a market analyst. My background is in geography/political science.
11/13/04 10:11 AM
MikeSwainFan

Edited: 13-Nov-04
judo-bjj-dvd.com
study what you enjoy and you will graduate so much easier, and faster. i promise you that.
12/21/04 11:24 PM
tycoon

Edited: 21-Dec-04
i see a lot of guys doing consulting at pwc, accenture, bearingpoint, etc that were history, poli sci, and econ majors.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.