UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> CS--Some Get It, Some Don't

5/3/04 2:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jgibson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-04

Man, CS is getting tough. There seems like there are two types of people in the class (Data Structures). SOme that just instantly get the hang of things and others who really struggle. I am in the latter category. I'm not gonna drop it because I'm tougher than that, but shit this stuff is hard.
5/3/04 4:56 PM
Andrew Yao

Edited: 03-May-04
Don't get discouraged. When I was in CS classes I would always marvel at people who could ask intelligent questions about stuff we just learned, because I usually couldn't follow the lecture that well. I just don't learn well from listening to people talk, plus I have a short attention span, so I would always stop paying attention about a quarter of the way through. I do have very good reading skills so I always could study and do homework very effectively, even though I learned little in the lectures. A lot of the fast talkers didn't do well on homework and tests. Maybe they aren't as good at reading. The point is that some people appear to get it easily, but it doesn't mean that they will be more successful. And also, being slower doesn't mean you'll lose the race.
5/4/04 2:01 PM
ChemicalSage
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-04
I'd drop it NOW if I were you. I was in your position two years ago and I'm wishing I was in a different program. It gets significantly harder than data strutures. Imagine a course that assumes you know everything from 1st and 2nd year, then asks you to do ridiculously hard/abstract assignments. If you don't know the basics at any moment, then you have to spend your time relearning them. Are you hardcore into computers? If your not, how are you gonna motivate yourself to learn all the dry material? Think of who your up against now, it's gonna be the same when you're applying for jobs.
5/4/04 2:21 PM
jgibson

I've only got one more class to go, and then I'll have a minor, so I'm gonna stick with it. Then I'm gonna give some EE classes a shot, to see how I like them. But yeah, i do love computers, so that's what's getting me through. It's definitely not the cash!
5/4/04 2:40 PM
deepu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Data structures can get insane so don't worry too much. The complexity analyses gave me headaches. In the end though, there's more to cs than data structures. (although they do form a core part)
5/8/04 1:10 AM
Slash
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-May-04
"SOme that just instantly get the hang of things and others who really struggle." what about the third category? people who don't understand shit. that is the category that i belong to
5/8/04 9:08 PM
jgibson

Edited: 08-May-04
It's not the complexity analyses that get me. It's all the freakin' pointer manipulations you have to consider when building linked lists, b-trees, etc. And the teacher is a documentation nazi. We have to have loop invariants in EVERY SINGLE LOOP, no matter how trivial the loop.
5/12/04 3:07 PM
deepu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-04
"It's all the freakin' pointer manipulations you have to consider when building linked lists, b-trees, etc" Heh, I remember that. Linked lists were easy but yeah some of the trees which maintain sorted order upon insertion and shit got pretty nasty.
6/9/04 11:27 AM
signaljammer

Edited: 09-Jun-04
heh, screw that, just use tha STL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.