UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Sanford Strong's 4 rules

5/7/04 12:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zen writer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-04

Hi guys I was (re)reading Strong on defense. He mention's the four rules of survival: react immediately, resist, avoid crime scene 2, and never give up. However, preceedings this, he mentions escape is the best option as you must be concerned with your own safety. (Your goal is to escape). He further goes on to say that you should give them whatever personal items they want without question. (Wallet, etc.) My question is in the grey area between escape/compliance and reacting immediately (If reacting immediately means to assualt the assaulter first) When does one make the distinction to go on offensive mode (attack) vs compliance? thanks in advance.
5/7/04 1:02 AM
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Re that fine line....I would surmise the skills of the atacker would infuence that. :-) Opportunity is a special blend of awareness, timing, faith and ability. Here are a couple of our maxims ofr real world incidents: "Awereness without Skill = Anxiety" "Skill without Awareness = Theory" Tony
5/7/04 5:15 AM
BreakUnose

That's awesome Tony:) By the way, you have several emails. Jerry
5/7/04 10:12 PM
GaryK

Dear "Zen": I, too, recently devoured Strong's book. My take on the entire thing was that he was speaking more about protecting one's family in many instances than simply defending one's self. In the former(protecting family), it makes sense to flee rather than to fight and put your family/children at risk (depending, of course, on the scenario). In the latter, (protecting self) he spoke at length about women, those with no--or minimal--training and, specifically, "Macho men" who fought and died for possessions as stupid as a car stereo. One of our maxims at Blauer Tactical is "never let pride or ego dictate your next move in a fight". Under this principle, it would seem that Strong's theory stands up pretty well as "survival" and not "retribution" is his ultimate aim. Coach Blauer also teaches that an attacker either wants your property, your person or your life. When they graduate from 1 to 2 and/or 3, THEN your "respond immediately" clause would kick in! (And it better be good!) Seriously, determining the line between when to "go" or "not go" is not as difficult as it might seem, especially when you've worked through a variety of believable scenarios, adding what Coach calls "Live Action Response Drills". (An entire article on this topic appears in this month's Black Belt Mag.) L.A.R.D.s help determine appropriateness in responding to violence. Combine this principle with your practice, some personal research and a good head on your shoulders and you'll do the right thing at the right time. HAVE FAITH! Regards, Gary
6/22/04 11:38 PM
raptor_prime

Edited: 22-Jun-04
Mr. Strong's book is my second favorite one on awareness, mindset, and self-defense. My first is Gavin De Becker's The Gift of Fear. Something I believe everyone and the ones they care about should read.
7/7/04 1:39 PM
ironmongoose

Edited: 07-Jul-04
Strong, DeBecker, and Blauer are all awesome, and the great thing is they cover the topic from such totally different angles. Strong was IIRC a homicide investigator, and looked at ultraviolent, American-style crime. He uses an retrospective, actuarial/statistical approach to direct his reader to the broad paths of action that are most likely to save their lives. His presentation style is like a hard smack against the wall, get that bulls**t out of your head approach. Blauer is an experimental scientist, coach, and philosopher. He offers a matrix of tactics and training methods to connect day-to-day training with the reality of violence. When first encountering his material and seeing him live, I found that he scrambles your mind, but when the pieces settle, you realize you have a grasp of a lot of important concepts. DeBecker is a clinical type, and looks at avoidance and prediction. As Blauer calls it, the "pre- pre- pre-contact" stuff. He also deals with the emotional/empowerment dimension. I call them the Three Kings of Self-Defense. When friends of friends hear that I know about self-defense and ask me about it, I refer them to any of the contact gyms in town, and them I tell them to read the Three Kings.
7/9/04 5:03 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 09-Jul-04
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Thanks J, Very nice company, very nice comments. Tony
10/16/04 4:54 AM
Ison Dart

Edited: 16-Oct-04
ttt for later

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.