UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Kicking with the toes?

5/29/04 10:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ifidieidie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-May-04 10:27 PM

Anyone have experience using a front toe kick?
5/30/04 2:26 PM
Samatikan

Edited: 30-May-04
It's called "tsumasaki (x)-geri" in shotokan, you use the tip of your big toe mainly, and it is very common. It is obviously used against soft tissue, i.e. stomach-bladder area. There was an old program where a group of japanese guys trained by kicking makiwara-type objects with the tip of their big toe. I can't remember what style of karate it was but it looked a lot like a mix between ishinryu and goju.
5/30/04 4:02 PM
Golden Arm
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-May-04
"There was an old program where a group of japanese guys trained by kicking makiwara-type objects with the tip of their big toe. I can't remember what style of karate it was but it looked a lot like a mix between ishinryu and goju." Probably Uechi Ryu. They kick primarily with their toes.
6/1/04 9:49 PM
damaebushi
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jun-04 09:39 PM
We use the toe tip kick a lot in our style, too. I do a lot of conditioning for my big toes to train my foot to hit with the toe and to condition the toe to be able to withstand the impact. You are right. It does cause quite a "sensation" and elicits an interesting response from the receipient. Respectfully: Fred
6/4/04 2:57 PM
MarkT

Edited: 04-Jun-04
Actually, as far as traditional okinawan karate goes, the foot was forced to close into a fist, and you would kick with the big knucke of the big toe. Students would help you as they held you up and youmade a fist with your feet and they lowered you down on it. After a time you could close it into a "foot fist". This was then hammered into a special makiwara. While this makes a very effective weapon, need I say how STUPID this kind of training would be today? Red wing shoes sells steel toed shoes in any style you need....
6/21/04 9:21 PM
The Mad Lurker
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jun-04
Jeez, I've wrecked my toes so many times by accident I can't imagine using them as a weapon.
6/22/04 3:46 PM
MarkT

Edited: 22-Jun-04
Remember, in the case of Okinawan Karate, you didn't use the toes. You "closed" them into a "fist" and kicked with the larger joints. Again, it would work but it would destory your feet in the process...
6/23/04 5:55 AM
Tball

Edited: 23-Jun-04
There is two articles on www.fightingarts.com re. toekicking.
6/25/04 10:39 AM
Danger Dave
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jun-04
That sounds like a quick path to arthritis in your 20's. I was taught the traditional round kick - with the ball of the foot. I found out I had arthritis at 30. I can't imagine what intentionally slamming your toes into someone would do - people have this way of covering up the soft targets (solar plexus, etc) with hard targets (like elbows, knees, forearms...). It sucks to have the feet you have to walk on hurt all the time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.