UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> SAMBO v ROSS vs SYSTEMA

6/9/04 5:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NowhereMan22000
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jun-04
And also let's try and keep the discussion away from straying (too much) into pure criticism - there's a thread on the UG for that. No need to replicate it here.
6/9/04 5:50 PM
IMPATCQC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jun-04
As a Ross guy.. kinda..., I can say that yes we use live sparring. We can just crank up or down the intensity via Soft Work(efficiency) or Hard Work (effectiveness). It is like the old story of how you boil a frog. Eventually becoming efficiently effective or effectively efficient or something... go to www.clubbell.tv discussion forum for exhaustive articles on it. Just like any martial "system", ROSS varies from instructor to instructor depending on what there training goals maybe. I am a combatives-mma type guy, So my training is pretty rough. THere are guys who focus on the Sambo aspects or the Zdorovye health system aspects. It all depends on what your training direction is. We have lots of guys who are affiliated with BJJ, Sambo, Ninjitsu, Blauer's material, Judo, Yoga, Pilates, Strong man training, all the way to New Zealand Stick fighting. It is a wide group of experience that determines what "their" ROSS looks like.
6/18/04 7:04 AM
Grappula

Edited: 18-Jun-04
LMAO at that clip.
6/30/04 4:12 AM
Slaughtered

Edited: 30-Jun-04
Poobear, Some interesting stuff. I can clearly see the power in the full force strikes clip would be ideal for pre emptive strikes on an attacker. The other clip I saw looked VERY much like Aikido where there was a lot of 'leading' involved. I have clips of Ueshiba from Aikido doing an almost identical type of movement(s). Looks like a very interesting system with lots to offer although there seems to be a big gap in application in realistic terms between the two aforementioned clips. What is your take on this? If this is an 'art' that has been derived from actual combat situations (life & death?) then the inclusion of the 'leading' clip seems almost redundant due to the timne it would take to be able to apply it against non compliancy. Cheers, Tim
9/22/04 7:04 AM
Slaughtered

Edited: 22-Sep-04
TTT for a response from Poobear ..... would be interested in your reply .... Tim
1/17/05 7:13 PM
RMACKD

Edited: 17-Jan-05
I have trained in systema and sambo. Systema I thought had some flaws but I do not feel like discussing them. The good things about systema was the movement and the philosophy. There is a thread at www.tung-fu.com under other martial arts were someone tells his opinion of systema after training in it. Sambo seems to differ greatly depending who I trained under. Some people taught it in a very sd type manner, wearing military outfits and doing a lot og knife defense, others practiced it with strikes and groundfighting making it mma like and others did the sport sambo most people are familiar with. ROSS I have not much experience with but it was interesting.
4/2/05 5:23 PM
Otsuka
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-05
my brother is taking Systema now. I'm suppose to go check out a class with him next week. My former kung fu teacher also recommended it back when I was doing San Shou. poobear, can i contact u by email?
4/2/05 5:29 PM
Otsuka
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-05 05:32 PM
my brother is taking Systema right now. I'm suppose to go check out a class next week. My former kung fu teacher also recommended it way back when I was doing San Shou. Poobear... can I contact u by email?
4/2/05 5:45 PM
Otsuka

Edited: 02-Apr-05
my brother is taking Systema right now. I'm suppose to go check out a class next week. My former kung fu teacher also recommended it way back when I was doing San Shou. Poobear... can I contact u by email?
7/10/05 9:56 PM
ResuTudo

Edited: 10-Jul-05
anyone ever see this tape? http://www.strategosstore.com/product.asp?0=288&1=289&3=3882
8/27/05 8:50 AM
systematic

Edited: 27-Aug-05
Hey RMACKD, Can you breakdown your experiences with Sambo, ROSS and Systema? Cheers.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.