UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Japanese surf culture

6/7/04 3:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gakami
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jun-04

What's the Japanese surf culture like? I am under the impression that there are many surfers there. Have any of you experienced any tribalism there or are they mostly friendly?
6/29/04 3:32 AM
OnDaMat
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jun-04
I think most Japanese are mostly friendly
6/30/04 4:29 PM
cycklops
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-04
Don't know much about it but I know this guy that just got his masters in some sorta Anthropology. Some school in California gave him a grant or whatever to do research towards his PhD on "Japanese surfers in Hawaii." There must be something going on there I assume. So he's in Honolulu right now "doing research" on that shit. I really don't know what he's gonna prove or how it'll benefit humanity but he says "it's better than being in the rat race" and he's 100% correct. -Karl
6/30/04 11:49 PM
gakami

Edited: 30-Jun-04
hey cycklops .. has he finished his PhD yet? I'd like to read it .. sounds interesting. Fuck I'd love a research project/job like that.
7/1/04 2:23 PM
stampy

Edited: 01-Jul-04
More laid back than most surf scenes in the U.S., from what I hear (I'm not a surfer, but have Japanese friends who are). Intensity increases (relatively) the closer you are to Tokyo (i.e., Chiba), decreases the further you from Tokyo (i.e., southern Kyushu, which once hosted the International Surfing Championships, not sure which governing body). Are you looking to start surfing there? As a foreigner, you'd probably be more outside any tribalism anyway.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.