UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Sentence Structure in Japanese?

6/7/04 11:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mf doom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jun-04

I have an oral test tomorrow and for one section I have to bring something in and describe some things about it. Just really basic sentences. Anyway I'm bringing in this group photo of us at a Randy Couture seminar. I just want to run through these sentences and tell me if they make sense. (Pointing to Randy) Randy Couture san desu. Couture-san wa Ultimate Fighting Champion desu. Amerika-jin desu. Jeff-san no Gary-san no aida ni Couture-san ga imas. (aida means in between) (Pointing to me) Watashi no desu. Kuro shatsu desu. (I have a black shirt) John-san wa watashi no migi ni imas. (migi means to the right). Amu wrestling kurasu wa Claremont no naka ni imas. (naka means is in) Gary-san wa watashi no sensei desu. (Gary is my teacher) Watashi wa warui shashin desu. (This is a bad photo of me) Do these sentences make sense? Thanks to anyone who can provide an answer.
6/8/04 5:48 AM
mf doom

Edited: 08-Jun-04
Thanks to Sha Bi who posted a reply on the OG. Just for those who are interested this was his reply || "For class purposes, "watashi" is fine. When speaking to professors, informal or neutral forms of address are often inappropriate. "(Pointing to Randy) Randy Couture san desu. Couture-san wa Ultimate Fighting Champion desu. Amerika-jin desu. Jeff-san no Gary-san no aida ni Couture-san ga imasu. (aida means in between)" Kono hito wa Randy ... Jeffu-san to Gary-san no aidan ni ... "(Pointing to me) Watashi no desu. Kuro shatsu desu. (I have a black shirt) John-san wa watashi no migi ni imasu. (migi means to the right). Amu wrestling kurasu wa Claremont no naka ni imasu. (naka means is in)" Watashi desu. (the "no" doesn't seem to fit here) Kuroi (kuro = noun) shatsu no hito desu. Ama (amateur).... Claremont ni arimasu. (naka isn't needed and arimasu is for inanimate nouns) "Gary-san wa watashi no sensei desu. (Gary is my teacher) Watashi wa warui shashin desu. (This is a bad photo of me)" Watashi wa warui shashin desu = I am a bad picture. kore wa watashi no warui shashin desu. - this would be ok "Do these sentences make sense? Thanks to anyone who can provide an answer." It makes reasonable sense. I tried not to change anything you wanted to say, but I hope I helped a bit. Good luck ||
6/8/04 2:27 PM
TheAx

cool, thanks for posting his reply. It's interesting.
6/8/04 2:46 PM
lautaro

Thanks for posting! I agree with the corrections. I understood everything regardless of the errors. Good effort! Keep it up! "Watashi wa warui shashin desu = I am a bad picture." Heehee, oops! This brings back memories of the looks on people's faces when I would make sentence errors in Japanese... Lautaro
lautaro

Edited: 08-Jun-04 02:36 PM
ignore
lautaro

Edited: 08-Jun-04 02:37 PM
ignore
6/8/04 8:23 PM
Opash

Can you write Kana on this board? ??? It's pretty hard to read a whole bunch of Japanese in Romanji.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.