UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> The Motor City Cobra

6/12/04 2:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SinCityHustler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jun-04

Now that was a fighter! He could KO an opponent with one punch. He also had deceptive boxing ability when most considered him simply a knock out artist. Tommy had that long frame that made him elusive but deadly on offense. The Pepino Cuevas fight was the first time I saw Tommy fight. I was shocked woth his brutal power and killer instinct. When he fought Leonard, I could not imagine that Ray would win. Of course we all know that Tommy faded late and Sugar Ray went on to win an extremely exciting fight. The KO of Duran was shocking for it's pure ferocity and the 3 rounds with Hagler were leagendary! Tommy Hearns, also known as the Hit Man was trully one of the greats. I would Love to have seen him in our current era as well. I'm not sure anyone could have stopped him if that were the case.
6/12/04 9:32 AM
chadk
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jun-04
Tommy would've beaten Roy Jones Jr. in my opinion. Roy could knock him out, but he's never shown the desire to aggressively go after a heavy handed puncher like Tommy. Also, name one person who outboxed Tommy. (I've said this for years too by the way)
4/19/11 3:12 AM
SinCityHustler

I'd love to see see against Mayweather but I couldn't seePBF ever acceptinga fight with him.  
4/19/11 11:47 AM
PoundforPound
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SinCityHustler - The KO of Duran was shocking for it's pure ferocity...

It's interesting that Duran more than held his own against both Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler but was completely overmatched against Hearns.
4/20/11 6:04 PM
pharochuck
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - 
SinCityHustler - The KO of Duran was shocking for it's pure ferocity...

It's interesting that Duran more than held his own against both Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler but was completely overmatched against Hearns.
duran seemed to be sleepwalking going into the ring and from the first bell. i'm going to chalk that one to just an off night for duran

4/21/11 11:25 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's how you throw a straight right hand.
5/23/11 1:38 PM
jaseprobst
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk - Tommy would've beaten Roy Jones Jr. in my opinion. Roy could knock him out, but he's never shown the desire to aggressively go after a heavy handed puncher like Tommy. Also, name one person who outboxed Tommy. (I've said this for years too by the way)

THIS. He carefully outpointed Wilfred Benitez when such a task was pretty much impossible (even Ray had to go after Wilfred at some point - Benitez barely trained for the bout and still gave him fits). Tommy was a wonderful stick and move artist when he needed to be. And as an aged light-heavy outclassed Hill, too.
5/24/11 9:36 AM
Poncey
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regarding the Duran fight, Panama Joe gave Duran a diarrhetic 48 hours before the fight because he had partied his ass up to 190lbs before training began and they ended up having to give him the shots to make weight. I firmly believe this was the cause of the method of the result. Although it wouldn't have affected the outcome. I was once stuck in a lift with him and a pimp and a hooker in Vegas in one of the most surreal moments of my life whilst I was also on a peyote come down. IMO I think he had the perfect frame for contact fighting. Phone Post
11/23/12 10:07 PM
SinCityHustler

I mentioned 4 fights in my original post.  Inexplicably I did not post the fights.  I strongly believe everyone who posted here, has seen those fights.  But posting them anyways greatly improves this thread and I'm sure rewatching them willbe entertaining anyways.  Also, those who have not seen the thread will have the option to watch and have an overall better thread experience.  If someone out there never saw Tommy fight, they are in for a treat.  

Here we have Tommy Hit Man Hearns vs Hands of stone Roberto duran

11/24/12 4:36 AM
SinCityHustler

the 3 round classic between Hagler and Hearns.  Arguably the greatest 3 rounds of boxing.  

11/24/12 4:41 AM
SinCityHustler

Edited: 11/24/12 4:42 AM

Sugar Ray Leonard Hearns vs Motor City Cobra Hearns

11/24/12 4:45 AM
SinCityHustler

tommy hearns wins his first world title over Pipino Cuevas

11/30/12 3:30 PM
endochokedme
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i voted you up SCH. Hearns was a beast
12/4/12 5:36 PM
SinCityHustler

Thanks!  yeah, such a hard puncher for a long and lean boxer.  And a mean streak to match.  Just a night mare match up for anyone.  

1/16/13 12:48 PM
X_Rated
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorite boxer actually

1/18/13 4:09 AM
AristidesBrito
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

S.c.h. , even.though Hearns lost both fights with Barkley, both bouts were brutal wars. Hearns had one of the most underrated.left hooks to the body in boxing history Phone Post
1/18/13 2:48 PM
AristidesBrito
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pure brutality
1/18/13 5:56 PM
SinCityHustler

AristidesBrito -  S.c.h. , even.though Hearns lost both fights with Barkley, both bouts were brutal wars. Hearns had one of the most underrated.left hooks to the body in boxing history Phone Post

Agreed.  Other than the outcome, I loved those wars.  In the first fight, Hearns looked to have Barkley out of there and then the huge shot to turn things around.  

2/9/13 4:43 PM
tog_320

Classic Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.

Only Pro Members and Moderators are allowed to post to this thread. Upgrade to a Pro Member account today!