UnderGround Forums

Chris Brennan >> Yet another Kimura Question

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/22/04 7:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Embalmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jun-04

Chris, The kimura is by far one of my favorite moves thanks to you instructional and seminar. As a result, a few of my training partners really do a good job at defending it. So, I'm hoping you can help me out. From the guard: On a stronger opponent, when I place my hand on my opponents wrist and sit up to initiate a kimura my opponent immediately clasps both hands together and hugs me tight. He also buries his head in my stomach or chest and pushes me back down to my back. I'll usually go for a choke after this happens so I will at least get him to let go of the hug. I've tried the omoplata but i can move my hips from side to side while he's holding me. So how can I nullify the hugging counter or what is a good follow-up move when the hugging counter is used?
6/23/04 10:32 AM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jun-04
Good question, ttt.
6/24/04 12:37 PM
WestsideStrangler
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jun-04
A few different things to do. #1 Try catching it from an open guard. Don't be afriad to put your feet on his hips and try. This way he can't hug and if he tries to pass you can use the "Kimura Grip" to sweep him over as I probably showed in your seminar where ever it was. #2 A good set up for this is to hip out to one side in the guard and let your leg hang lazy on the floor side. he will usually try and post on it to pin it and pass. The second he thinks about posting on it BOOM!!! The Kimura is sunk. #3 As you sit up from closed guard and he huggs try taking the hand the is supposed to go on the wrist and undergook the same side. Us the leverage from the underhook to break his hold and befor pulling your arm out wrap your other one over the arm to secure it. Then as you pull the arm out that was underhooked snag the wrist and apply. #4 and almost the most important one. When sitting up for the Kimura DON'T GRAB THE WRIST FIRST!!! It is a dead give away to what you are doing. Sit up over the body to wrap your far arm over his shoulder and pinch it tight before grabbing the wrist. THis way he has no idea at first if you are going for the sit up sweep, the guillotine, the Kimura, or anything else for that matter. Hope this helps and if you don't understand it you must come take a private :) or have me back for another seminar. CB
6/25/04 1:02 AM
matoki

Edited: 25-Jun-04
Sorry Chris, but can you clarify number 2 for me? so if i hip out to my left side, the right leg would be hanging lazy and he would try to post on that right? do i reach across to my right side and grab his left arm? wouldn't his head be in the way since I shrimp out to my left?
6/25/04 1:41 AM
Embalmer

Edited: 25-Jun-04
Yeah, Thanks for the reply Chris. I use #1 and #2 all the time. Works like a charm on peeps I don't roll with often, but with my regular partners they know whats coming and are very hesitant to take the pass (They know its just a bait! Muwhahaha!!). I will try #3 and keep #4 in mind when going for the ole' Kimura when rolling next week.
6/28/04 7:35 AM
jonpall
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jun-04
Let me take a shot at this until Chris comes back. "Sorry Chris, but can you clarify number 2 for me? so if i hip out to my left side, the right leg would be hanging lazy and he would try to post on that right?" Yes. Personally, I like to put my right foot on his left hip instead of leaving it hanging there, for extra security, so he doesn't pass over my right leg in a heartbeat. "do i reach across to my right side and grab his left arm? wouldn't his head be in the way since I shrimp out to my left?" Sometimes his head is in the way (if it's buiried in your chest), but sometimes it's more upright and then you can go for the kimura. But if his head is on your chest when you're scooted out like that, you have (at least) 2 good triangle opportunities when you grab his left wrist with your right hand: (In either case, you can use your left hand to either grab his head or overhook his right arm) 1. Push his wrist towards his chest and lock in a half-sunk triangle by throwing your right leg past the OUTSIDE of his left arm. 2. Push his wrist out, away from his body, and lock in a half-sunk triangle by throwing your right leg past the INSIDE of his left arm. Now you can work to finish the triangle, or do something else, like an armbar, f.ex.
6/28/04 8:25 AM
matoki

thank you jonpal!
6/28/04 10:19 AM
WestsideStrangler
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. I leave the leg dangling for bait. I wouldn't recomend it for evryone right off the bat but I do a few things baiting guys to try and Kimura me and to try and pass all the time.
6/28/04 9:18 PM
Embalmer

Used the suggestions from above. Man, I freaking love the kimura... Even got one while standing.
6/28/04 11:49 PM
WestsideStrangler

Standing from the single all day long...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.