UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Mr. Blauer's thoughts?

6/23/04 1:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Poignant
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jun-04

I have seen Mr. Blauer post often on the jkd forum and was wondering what his thoughts were on the SBG's continuous put down of most RBSD training concepts, much of which Mr. Blauer espouses himself such as scenario based training, using protective suits, the precontact stages of assaults (which they refer to as fancy psycho babble), multiple attacker situations and the likes? With comments like the ones the SBG make on a continual basis like the following: "I really love how the "reality" guy's dipped their hands in Alex Gong's blood to sell their wares. What scumbags." made by Paul Sharp and I remember Mr. Blauer and his crew commenting on Mr. Gong's death specifically as well on this very forum. Or how about this one: "scaredlittleboyRBSDdorkywannabecommando" made by Matt Thonton? Isn't Mr. Blauer effectively a major part of the RBSD group? In fact isn't Mr. Blauer a pionner in the field? I was just wondering what his or the rest of the PDR team thought of this?
6/23/04 8:01 AM
rbradk

What is your motivation for posting these statements and asking the teams opinion? Just curious.... Brad Kocka
6/23/04 10:13 AM
Poignant

The same motivation that motivated you to ask me what my motivation was I guess, curiosity. :)
6/24/04 2:38 AM
Lofland
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jun-04
The only interesting part of the first post is the assertion that Tony posts often on the JKD forum. I just looked there and couldn't find anything by him. Please point out some of Tony's posts there.
6/24/04 9:41 AM
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Poignant, Three questions: 1. Where do you train 2. Who do you train with? 3. I specifically request 'real names' for real posts whenever possible. So without knowing who you really are etc, I found your original post biased, leading and calculated. POints of your contention border on inflammatory and the term 'crew' is 'young', certainly street-ish and in my eyes deragatory. Those on my PDR team are professionals who all have 'real' jobs and choose to train & associate with my company for professional reasons. In ther words, Brad's query was legitmate. Your reply to Brad was flippant, not sincere. As for comparisons and contrasts, I dont know enough about what all the "RBSD" hoopla is about. The idea that any self-defense WOULDNT be reality based is somewhat of an enigma to me anyhow. As for the idea of scenarios & gear for trainnig, I didnt come up with that - I refined it. The Spartans did it a gazzilion years ago, every SWAT team & military unit I work with does it to this day. In fact, every 'succesful' warrior culture has used gear & training weapons and scenarios as a part of their regimen to prepare for combat. I took a model I had created for the LEO & Military community and spent years refiing a model for the general public. Thats our PERSONAL DEFENSE READINESS (PDR) program. As far as my posting on the JKD forum, I will from time to time add a thought on any good thread, as I have in the past on the Sonnon forum, soldier forum, the strength & conditioning forum, the Underground etc, etc. As for me being a pioneer of reality based training, the term & title came into play 20 years after I started doing scenarios. And seriously I havent evaluated what the definition entails or who is 'grouped' in that classification. As with all 'generalizations' you have those who are sincere, skilled, legitmate & therefore succesful...and you will always have the copy-cats, charlatans & wannabees and sadly some will also be succesful :-) I suspect that Matt's comments arent directed at me and my company and therefore the 'group' he is refering to and his comments have no bearing on me, my training or my business. I dont live on the forums, I read posts that Im alerted to and I scan the forums once a week like others glance a newspaper. And like the news I dont always believe what is written as fact, but merely as opinion and often edited or censored. Tony Blauer
6/24/04 11:37 AM
FJJ828
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
Threads that start off with the old "But they was talkin shit about you over there..." are idiotic, transparent and pointless. My humble opinion is that Mr Blauer's material is not the typical RBSD that so many others try to myopically copy. BTCMS has something very big in common with the SBG group in that the training is geared towards Performance. Although they have different training methodologies, they are both very functional for there desired objectives. I for one am very happy to be exposed to both. Fletch
6/24/04 3:03 PM
Poignant

My real name is Paul. I'm in my thirties - married and have two beautiful children. I currently train in Krav Maga and own a few of Mr. Blauer's tapes amongst others. My question was honest as I have seen most of the SBG continuously put down RBSD training, calling the pursuit of self-defence a dead end and the majority of Mr. Blauer's concepts although ambiguously and not by name. You answered my question. Thank you. Paul
6/24/04 4:45 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 24-Jun-04 05:37 PM
Paul, probably the most important thing I wrote there is this: "I suspect that Matt's comments aren't directed at me and my company and therefore the 'group' he is referring to and his comments have no bearing on me, my training or my business." Like I said, I dont know what the controversy is about and I was doing scenario training a decade before it was a cash cow term :-) You wrote: " I have seen most of the SBG continuously put down RBSD training, calling the pursuit of self-defense a dead end..." Like most things written this is likely a misinterpretation and email and forums are the worst for that. You also write: "...SBG continuously put down RBSD...and the majority of Mr. Blauer's concepts although ambiguously and not by name." This is where it gets tricky, is this your interpretation or were comments specifically made about me? In reflection it seems as though you are defending me, which I appreciate, but I dont consider myself part of 'that' crew that Paul & Matt often refer to. Perhaps it is YOU who have grouped me in with ALL RBSD training...if so, then this is your interpretation. Over the years many SBG proponents have also cross- trained with me and vice versa. Weigh & consider the above with this comment from my last post: "As with all 'generalizations' you have those who are sincere, skilled, legitimate & therefore successful...and you will always have the copy- cats, charlatans & wannabees and sadly some will also be successful :-)" Anyhow, have a good work out, enjoy your family. Tony
6/24/04 7:27 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jun-04 07:15 PM
"I dont consider myself part of 'that' crew that Paul & Matt often refer to. Perhaps it is YOU who have grouped me in with ALL RBSD training...if so, then this is your interpretation." That's really the key here. In every post I have written regarding Tony's material it has always been complimentary. "I have seen most of the SBG continuously put down RBSD training, calling the pursuit of self-defence a dead end." Absurd comment. The majority of our curriculum is geared towards self defense. So even the sentence, "calling the pursuit of self-defence a dead end". . .is not logical. Nor has anyone from SBGi ever stated such. My guess is you read something somehwere you didn't understand. Then you took it out of context, changed the wording, and became angry about the self created meaning, which is in fact an illusion. Go figure. I'd suggest reading more carefully. If you still find something disturbing by all means contact the persons responsible directly. Myself, Luis, Paul Sharp, and other SBGi Coaches are always available to answer questions directly. Enjoy the week. -Matt Thornton www.straightblastgym.com "When you argue with reality you lose, but only 100% of the time."
6/25/04 8:46 AM
P

Edited: 25-Jun-04
"We don't see the world as it is; but as we are." unknown Paul, Talk is cheap, experience is everything. Tony and Matt are both excellent writers with a talent for thought provoking bluntness. They are also two of the most genuine people I know. Both teach from the heart, not the wallet and that can be a rare thing in this industry. If you want to 'know' what they think stop fixating on words and 'he said she said'. Train the way they train and come to your own conclusions. I do, and my world is a lot safer and saner for it. Phil
6/25/04 9:25 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 25-Jun-04
Nice Phil. Matt, love the line about reality. Thanks for popping in and sharing. Tony
6/26/04 7:25 PM
Paul Sharp

Edited: 26-Jun-04
Still going eh Poignant? For a brief history check the "Senshido" thread started by duckstupid quite some time ago on the JKD folder. Here is a post from Rich Dimitri regarding or from Poignant: From: RPDimitri Date: 04/23/04 12:37 PM Member Since: 01/01/2001 41 Total Posts Ignore User In reference to this thread, I just received the following email from Poignant, with his permission, I am posting it here. Rich -----Original Message----- From: Poignant [mailto:Paul_D'laney@xxxx.com] Sent: April 23, 2004 11:57 AM To: rdimitri@senshido.com Subject: Apologies Rich, I just caught what was going on on the JKD forum. I wanted to apologize to you for any mishap my enthusiasm may have caused you. I was just very excited about what I had learned from you in comparison to all my years in the martial arts and I felt the need to share it with as many people as I could not thinking it would actually cause the opposite effect. After all, as you know your materials saved my and my little girl's life. It amazes to see that such quality information as what you and Matt Thornton espouse yet see the resistance many have against it. I suppose that I may have something to do with that resistance. As for my posting on the Krav Maga forum, I have ceased to post there. John pointed it out to me there as well just recently and I realized that I may have been causing more harm than good. Thank you for everything. Paul ------------------------------------------------------ Regarding everything else, Matt, Tony, Fletch and Phil covered it pretty well. With that, I'll not respond to anything further on this folder/thread. This area is for the discussion of Tony's work/material, not someones axe-grinding and whining shop. To address any issues with me, try sbg_il@hotmail.com I might take a while to get back to you, but I will respond to any reasonable discussion/questioning.
6/27/04 8:44 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 27-Jun-04
Hey Paul. Its funny how subtle some propaganda can be, especially on the net, Im glad you guys have the radar in tack :-) Anyhow, it was nIce of you to visit the forum, sorry it wasnt under more hospitable circumstances :-) Ill be in Il next year for some course through ITOA, hope we can meet. Stay safe, TOny
7/1/04 11:13 AM
FJJ828
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jul-04
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
"Ill be in Il next year for some course through ITOA, hope we can meet." Now THAT would be cool.
7/9/04 9:05 PM
shumy

Edited: 09-Jul-04
Hi Tony, I have tried emailing many times but recieved no response so i decided to sign up here inorder to ask you this question... I am located in Montreal I train at the tri-star gym with John Kulsar...who has kind of took over Phil's chu-fen-do classes...anyhow I waould like to know when you will be opening another school here in Montreal there is a big following down here we would love to have one of your school back here !!!
7/10/04 3:05 PM
shumy

Edited: 10-Jul-04
Hi Tony, I have a really general question to ask you...I hope this does not piss you off in anyway...but I am asking it because I would really like to know...my question is as follows: I know you have an extensive knowledge of JFD...I would like to know what is the difference between JFD and your CHU FEN DO ?? Thanks! Arthur
7/10/04 3:07 PM
shumy

Edited: 10-Jul-04
Hi Tony, I meant JKD not JFD...like I mentioned in my previous post...sorry for the typo ! Arthur
7/20/04 12:32 AM
tac364

Edited: 20-Jul-04
To all: I've had the pleasure of being in a great training group. Some of us have received training from BTCMS and others have attended camps with SBG. We are all good friends, who check out egos at the door, and train hard. We all have different backgrounds, experience levels, lifestyles, but I like to think that our "coaches" have helped else drop our attitudes that usually hold students back. I realize this doesn't have much to do with the original post. However, I see a great connection, at least in my mind, btw Coach Blauer and Mr. Thornton, and I'm glad to benefit from their knowledge. Check 'em out! Johnny.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.