UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Do I have anything to offer?

6/29/04 7:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Embalmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jun-04

I recently joined a "self-preservation" club in my area. There isnt a teacher in this club, instead each member seems to be good at a particular subject (i.e. knives, shooting, jkd, and others...). So, each person in the club takes turns teaching their area of expertise. So far I am the only one with a grappling background in the club with 4 years of submission wrestling, BJJ, and some MMA. My question is, What do I have to offer this club since all of my grappling days have been geared towards sport? The only thing I can think of is maybe escapes from mount, sidemount, etc...
6/29/04 8:29 PM
Lofland
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jun-04
Tony's "How to Beat a Grappler" video might give you some ideas. It's supposed to be one of his best tapes.
6/30/04 10:32 AM
JMullings

Edited: 30-Jun-04
There is always something to offer for the toolbox. Just make sure the tools are appropriate for the job. A suggestion was made for reviewing one of Tonys tapes and that is a great idea. Having said that, if the audience watching that "tape" is running it thru their filter, which by default may be a sport filter, you can really lose alot of the essence of the system Tony has created. The PDR material is great material, but if all you know is the SPEAR, and nothing in the tool box after that, you just delay getting your ass kicked by a few seconds. The real creative stuff is taking the sport model "techniques" and appropriately integrting them into the PDR system using its incredible tools and viewpoints. As mentioned, I really think one of the biggest disconnects from the sport fight perspective is viewing only a portion of Tony's material and interpreting it as a sports guy only. The rally cool thing is that once you understand Coach's material from a PDR perspective, the tools the system provides can really elevate your sport game and training regimen. Ask Phil Hughes about that....... Joe M
7/20/04 12:40 AM
tac364

Edited: 20-Jul-04
Our group does a great drill - Striker vs. Grappler. Start with conversation, striker is the "bad guy" forcing the fight. Grappler is "good guy" using choice speech. Striker is just that - a striker, not versed in the clinch or ground game. He starts the fight and continues striking until "controlled". Grappler's goal is to defend, close the distance, take down and control (submit/injury) or gain a dominant position to finish with strikes. We go about 50% - hope this helps. Any thoughts? Johnny tac364@yahoo.com
7/21/04 8:42 PM
Embalmer

Edited: 21-Jul-04
Yeah, thanks tac364 thats puts things in prespective for me. A kind of "drunk brother-in-law scenario" where you don't want to kill the opponent just control and dominate would be great. It is my turn to teach next month so any more ideas would be appreciated.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.