UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Stephen Hawking On Determinism

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/1/04 12:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jul-04

http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/dice.html Very interesting...
7/2/04 1:36 PM
FudoMyoo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jul-04
That is a chapter (or part of it) of his book "The Universe in a nutshell". He basicly argues against a deterministic worldview.
4/5/07 3:50 PM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Apr-07
Interesting I have to check it out.
4/6/07 5:27 PM
Subadie

Edited: 06-Apr-07
thank you for bringing this to my attention
3/27/08 7:57 AM
Victor W

Edited: 27-Mar-08
Very interesting. Anyone here who knows some physics that could explain something to me? If I understand it correctly it can sometimes happen that a particle an antiparticle are formed. Usually they come together again and get annihilated. But sometimes one of the particles can get sucked into a black hole never to return. The information of the particle that got sucked in is forever lost and can therefore not be measured. But Stephen also says that the speed and position of the particle that is "sent out" is determined by the speed and position of the antiparticle before it gets sucked in. We cannot measure particles of this sort with particle detectors but isn´t it still true that the particle nevertheless had speed and position? Wouldn´t this mean that the universe is still pre-determined only that we can never practically calculate what the future will be? /Vic
3/27/08 8:17 AM
Victor W

Edited: 27-Mar-08 08:26 AM
I gave this some more thought. I understand now that even if the particles and the antiparticles wave-function could be calculated before the "black hole sucking in thing" et wouldn´t matter. This is because there is no way of knowing when or where these will be formed and neither their speed or position? Is this really where the uncertinity lies? Or is there a way of predicting this? When and how vacum fluctuations will occur? If there is I think the qustions in my first post are still valid:. I guess normally when no black holes are involved this doesn´t matter because these particles doesn´t have any effect on the rest of the universe? /Vic
3/30/08 8:01 PM
twinkletoesCT
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Mar-08
Modern Self-Defense Center
He was bound to say that ;)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.