UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Career Advice

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/9/04 6:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
1groovyunit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jul-04

Alright, I'm undecided still and making a decision doesn't seem to be easy. I was an analytical chemist for a few years out of college, then I decided to become a teacher. This was my first year of teaching. In the middle of the year the state made a mistake with my paperwork and threatened to pull my credentials. I sent out resumes and got an offer to work in a medical laboratory where they do research (molecular biology, microbiology, virology and immunology research). It's an incredibly tempting offer and they even offered to hold the position for me until september. I did enjoy teaching and leaving teaching would be throwing away a pension and health benefits for life after 25 years, but I really don't think I have the emotional faculties to teach high school kids for that long (just being honest with myself). I am considering leaving the teaching position because of this and because the offer is there for a dynamite, interesting job which would open all kinds of doors for me. I love the idea of working in a biosafety level 3 laboratory and I love science, however I was a good teacher and did love my kids, plus the summer is great for martial arts training, fishing and goofing off a little. I'm 32 years old and am not married yet, no kids. I already have a good idea of what I am going to do but am wondering if any of you have a different perspective on this, maybe from experience, or just have some different viewpoints. Thanks.
7/11/04 2:29 AM
Slash
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jul-04
teaching in high school is one of the last things i would want to do.
7/12/04 6:29 PM
Ragnar_Deerslayer

Edited: 12-Jul-04
Get some more experience in the working world, then teach college later on in life. Students are much more reasonable on the college level. You'd be surprised what five years will do. Take care, Ragnar
7/13/04 6:04 PM
1groovyunit

Edited: 13-Jul-04
I was thinking about that. God I would absolutely love to teach organic chemistry...
7/20/04 8:29 PM
FiatLux

Edited: 20-Jul-04
Im thinking about teaching right now. Honestly, it hard to stomach it seeing how each class of freshman gets worse and worse.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.