UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Braid or Mono?

7/28/04 12:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
<:(((><
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jul-04

I changed to braids ie power pro a few years ago. What do yall use?
7/28/04 4:43 PM
Joe Lauzon
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeLauzon.com
Mono. Braid is TOO strong for such a small diameter. It eats through the line roller, your guides and especially your tip. I look at my line like a fuse... I want the line to break before my rod or reel and cause actual damage as opposed to losing a fish (or breaking it because I am caught in weeds or a tree and refuse to cut my line).
7/28/04 5:17 PM
rock_o
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use Mono....but thats what pretty well everyone uses in Canada.
7/28/04 10:27 PM
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to braid for the sensitivity and strength, mono is not even close in that capacity. Unfortunately the braid did not work well with the rods I used, I had always used fast or ex fast action rods so often when I would set the hook it would end up pulling. IE When you have an ex fast rod the bend is at the tip and then with the braids there is no stretch so it would end with pulled hooks WAY TOO MUCH. I have since changed to medium action rods which are much more forgiving and my hook up ratio has sky rocketed. Joe, I made my own rods for years and never had problems with it wearing through the guides with braids. If you use fuji ceramic when wrapping a rod or buy rods with it I doubt youll have this issue. I now have a rod sponsor but they also use fuji guides so I don't imagine it happening to them either. Just curious, how can a line be too strong for the diameter? That only gives you better castability to me. What is the down side in having a thin strong line?
7/29/04 5:56 AM
Jacob Lamb
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jul-04
7/29/04 11:21 AM
Chris Palmquist
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA.TV
hmm. looks like lauzon get what'ed up.
7/29/04 10:12 PM
Joe Lauzon
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeLauzon.com
I dont use the stuff on me rods, I have friends that did and it tore the tips up. Caused cracks, and wore grooves into them. And these were ceramic tips. Of course, he was using like 60# test that was like 12# diameter, which is stupid.
7/30/04 3:31 PM
TheBigLebowski

Edited: 30-Jul-04
Lauzon speaks the truth. I recently strung up one of my rods with firewire and that stuff is so strong I know it's only a matter of time before i destroy either my rod or reel. I have the rod rigged with 14lb firewire which has the diameter of 3lb mono. Let me tell you that stuff is indestructible and thus far has been problematic. Although it's nice to know that if I happen to get into that 35lb striper my line's not going to break.
7/31/04 11:57 AM
Joe Lauzon

Edited: 31-Jul-04
JoeLauzon.com
My family owns a retail fishing store, and we are the wholesale supplier to pretty much all of cape cod for bait. So I am in the store 5 days a week and everyone here who uses the stuff has problems, and as I said, my friends have too...so I have stayed away from it altogether. TheBigLebowski, What size reel are you trying to use for Stripers that you are filling with 3# diameter? You would need like 1000 yards on a normal saltwater reel, so Im guessing you have light tackle, must be freshwater. And 14# is kinda light for stripers, isnt it?
7/31/04 3:37 PM
TheBigLebowski

Lauzon, you hit the nail right on the head with everything you guessed about my setup. It is my freshwater/flounder setup. 6ft ugly stik with a 11 bearing Daiwa 2500 series reel. I love that rig. Whever we go out for bluefish, I occasionally use it for the fun of it. With the firewire I can definitly get the blue up, but it takes awhile. My friends laugh there ass of when they see me fighting 15 lb. blues with it. I know it's only a matter of time before a big ass Striper hits it when I float out that bunker chunk.
7/31/04 4:28 PM

Im amazed to hear this about the super lines. I did hear it years ago with spider line but not with power pro or fins etc. Heck, I honestly dont even see people in tournies around here that don't use it unless they guiding the tournament. The monos are more forgiving so it can be better for new anglers when fighting fish. Here in FL I find myself calling around for the power pro I want cause it's often sold out, it's that damn popular. I've used them for 2 years with no such problems and fish a lot especially when it counts. We fish about 20 tournaments a year so money is on the line and loosing fish due to tackle error is absolutely unacceptable. We've never had failure due to the super lines. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
7/31/04 10:58 PM
Joe Lauzon

JoeLauzon.com
I dont know, I just know of lots of people who havent had much luck with it. These same people could be absolute mongoloids when it comes to fishing too, Ive just never used it myself.
8/2/04 12:51 AM
Owen Gregg
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-04
I like braided line, especially flipping/pitching into heavy cover. Otherwise, I'll go cheap.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.