UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> SPEAR vs. collar grab

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/2/04 1:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lofland
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-04

I've recently started taking classes under PDR coach Tristan in Austin, TX. Unfortunately I had a knee problem and haven't been there in a week. The first time we did Emotional Climate Training, the bad guy did a simple haymaker at first. I was gradually learning how to do protective and tactical SPEARs vs. that. I had more problems when he grabbed my collar before doing a haymaker. Ideally you should SPEAR the guy when you see his hand coming up for the collar grab, but what if you don't catch it in time? The collar grab seems to push me back on my heels and prevents forward motion. Should I just do a protective SPEAR against the haymaker then some martial arts move to get his hand off? Thanks. P.S. Even though I'm asking a technique question, I know the mental/emotional part of the training is the most important.
8/2/04 6:21 PM
amaa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-04 11:47 PM
Hey Chip, To your question briefly: Actually we working on some basic 'physical' applications of primal/protective/tactical responses and their relationship to the A-SAP model. ECT is coming soon!! "Ideally you should SPEAR the guy when you see his hand coming up for the collar grab, but what if you don't catch it in time?" In my experience when we tend to think about 'ideal' responses we can get into trouble down the road...especially if we are thinking about 'ideal' techniques. There aren't really any ideal techniques ... only more or less desirable outcomes to a given situation/scenario ... remember 'SPEAR' is a system...not only a 'variable' technique. "Should I just do a protective SPEAR against the haymaker..." When you begin to really understand Coach Blauer's system you will see that you will not 'DO' a primal or protective anything .... your behavior will choose the best response for you :) That's what makes this training so provocative and the PDR answers to questions often so philosophically frustrating (at first). Hang in there and I'm sure the PDR paradigm approach will set off some more light bulbs for you :) I will try to address your questions with physical strategies when i see you next, however it is very important to sink your teeth into the PDR principles and philosopies...in fact without them you cannot understand the system :) Hopefully some of our PDR Coaches will have time to give us some more insight into your question... please print the responses and bring them to your next class ... I will be happy to go over them with you. P.S. - Please also feel free to shoot me an e-mail if there is anything else that you were unclear about during training ... I am happy to assist you with these questions :) By the way I'm sorry to hear about your knee, is that why you didn't make it to your private lesson on Sat.? ... how is the knee doing? See you soon, Nick/Tristan
8/3/04 9:05 AM
AEMoores

Edited: 03-Aug-04 08:49 AM
Chip, You are in great hands with Nick. He is a very knowledgable coach with a passion for teaching. Two traits you don't always find together. Keep training, Andrew Moores
8/3/04 1:18 PM
JMullings

Edited: 03-Aug-04
Chip, Nick per usual is right on target. One of the challenges that most people experience when they first start exploring PDR curriculum (myself included :)) is that we are looking for a clear answer to..."If he does this, what should I do..?" and then look for some X,Y,Z technique. Classic martial arts are loaded with these answers....which dont necessarily mean they are right. They are just answers :). Train with Nick and give the "Freshman Year' some time. He will share with you the building blocks of the PDR system. The neat thing about PDR is that it will take what your body wants to naturally do and then allow you to attach a tactic/technique to your body's natural response to that stimulus/attack and increase your response efficiencies. Whether your tactical choice is wrestling, Muay Thai, grapppling, BJJ, etc.... Its cool to come to this Board and ask questions. I suggest perhaps even going thru the archives and do daily reading here. Having said that, you are fortunate enough to have Nick as your Coach......TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. Just ask him, he knows more about personal self defense, combatives, sport model than 99.99 percent of the Martial Arts world that proclaim expertise. P.S. - If you missed your private session with me w/o a call to cancel or reschedule, I would still charge your ass the $100. Joe M
8/3/04 2:45 PM
taroson

Edited: 03-Aug-04
Chip, There are literally hundreds of choices or moves you could make to counter the collar grab. All of them will work when appropriate and none of them will work all the time. Because you have just scratched the surface of PDR training with Nick, you are probably still looking for a technique to ‘answer’ the problem. What you will learn from Nick through PDR training is how to use your own natural, reflexive responses to form a combative tactic. The conversion of these natural responses into a combative tool is the core of the S.P.E.A.R. System. For specific attacks, like a collar grab, we don’t really have a technique. We look for tools to put on targets. (The 3 T’s) If your Emotional Arsenal is engaged your mind will be free to see and respond to the tactical choices available to you. The point is that you will come up with your own answers by making decisions in the moment, rather than trying to follow a memorized ‘move’. Nick can teach you about the S.P.E.A.R. System, Emotional Climate Training, Range Rover, Fear Management, The Cycle of Behavior, Natural Stance Theory, and Choice Speech for Verbal Defuse, Overkill Training, Performance Enhancement Psychology, Ballistic Micro Fights, Scenario Specific Analysis, Attack Specific Analysis and Live Action Response Drills and MORE! Ask your question again at your next session with Nick and you will be amazed at the way your body will move to protect itself and how, with a little expert coaching, you will be on your way to developing your own ‘unique’ style of combat. Back in 1999 I was standing where you are, wondering what this Tony Blauer was really all about. The body of knowledge Tony has constructed is deep and at time a bit daunting. Keep asking questions. Use a great coach like Nick to help you discover the answers. Good Luck Chip, Mike Suyematsu
8/3/04 6:46 PM
amaa

Edited: 03-Aug-04 11:49 PM
Thanks for the sunshine ... i guess i needed it :) Humbly, Nick
8/9/04 9:24 PM
tac364

Edited: 09-Aug-04
Lofland, I'm an LEO down in New Braunfels. I currently train with a group in MMA but teach the SPEAR System for my agency as well. I really can't go to Austin much (work,family,other training), but was wondering if your coach/gym has drop in rates for PDR. Figured once in a while was better than nothing... Johnny tac364@yahoo.com
8/11/04 8:07 PM
Lofland
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Aug-04
Hi Johnny, Nick here is my coach. You can email or call him for a private lesson. www.austinmartialarts.com Chip

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.