UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Takedowns for the very tall

8/6/04 7:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bunnymonster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Aug-04

I've been training wrestling for a while now (mainly for submission grappling) and am pretty good at defending as my sprawl is pretty sharp and I can usually maintain good position in the clinch, which was what I initially trained for (my sub game involves going to guard or half guard) I do however have problems taking guys down. I am 6'8" tall and really find shooting difficult because even when I squat as far as is comfortable I am not really below his level, so he can just push my face away easily. I also find most of the turning hip toss style throws difficult because to get my hips below most of my opponents I have my knees bent more than 90 degrees and so collapse under their weight as it comes fully onto me. I have had some success with sliding by to pick up the hip, but feel that having this as my only offensive takedown is not ideal. Are there any attacking maneuvers I should try to learn which are particularly suited to a very tall but light (under 85kg) wrestler?? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
8/6/04 7:59 AM
jonpall

Single leg? You've got long arms, right?
8/6/04 9:32 AM
DanieRamos

First of all I would gain some weight!!!!!!!!!!!! Dam boy you are way to skinny for your size : ) Definetly work on high single leg. And get into kickboxing or boxing , with that kinda reach I would have a hell of a lot of fun jabing and frustrating the shit out of all my training partners. I forgot, learn Judo. Trows like uchimata and other leg throws (sweeps, trips ect) are very well suited for really tall people. And dont think you need a Gi to do them. Just learn the concepts well and aply wrestling grips. Hope I was of some help A good weight training and eating + some judo would do wonders for you. With those legs your guard must be hell. Good luck daniel
8/6/04 9:46 AM
jonpall

That made me think about when big Wes Sims had Frank Mir in his guard in their last fight. Wes Sims could actually triangle his legs instead of just cross his ankles, because his legs are so big!
8/6/04 1:58 PM
ChrisPayne
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at 6'8" it seems like the ankle pick would be a good move for you to work on
8/8/04 11:51 AM
suplexman

Edited: 08-Aug-04
Throws! Learn some upper body throws of all kinds, they work great for tall people. Tall lanky guys do well in Greco-roman because of their leverage. Also foot sweeps, trips, and other attacks that use your legs.
8/8/04 7:50 PM
grapple00

Edited: 08-Aug-04 07:34 PM
Although I'm not nearly as tall as you, I have very long arms and legs and, thus a high center of gravity, so I feel your pain. Use the head snap as a set up. Also, establish side control on your feet and that will allow you to shoot on guys from better angles. You can shoot, just set it up well. Grapple00
8/9/04 10:08 AM
Chip Cochran

Edited: 09-Aug-04
I'll just chime in with what some others have stated... Being that tall, any takedown that doesn't require you getting under your opponent is a good thing. I would learn (more or less in this order): 1. Snap down 2. Ankle-pick 3. Knee-pick* 4. Snatch single 5. Trips/ankle blocks 6. Foot sweeps *Don't make the mistake of thinking that ankle picks and knee picks are the same thing. They are closely related, but are still different techniques. Sometimes people learn an ankle pick, then try to do a knee pick the same exact way except a little higher on the leg and it doesn't quite work (or vice-versa, they try to hit a knee pick, but at ankle level and it doesn't work). Learn the two different techniques. Anyway, those things should give someone with your frame a pretty good arsenal to work with. Remember that there are about a dozen variations (or more!) to each technique - so try 'em on for size, see how they feel, and you'll probably end up feeling comfortable with 2 or 3 versions of each of the above techniques. Just learning those (and of course the defense to each of those) should keep you busy for a while! :)
8/11/04 1:34 AM
BigLen

Edited: 11-Aug-04
I like the snap down, ankle pick, and i shoot also. I should also mention that i am 6'8" and a muscular 270lbs I also have a move i use every once in awhile in class, just cause i can... I just shove the guys around, and they go flying, its hilarious. I used it at the last naga tournament i went to, just for intimidation purposes though... peace, Big Len
6/18/09 2:53 PM
TSMontana
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for my threads
6/19/09 2:15 AM
Bunnymonster

Edited: 06/19/09 2:18 AM
 Woaaaah, back from the dead...

Interestingly after almost 2 years off rehabilitating a knee, I'm back into wrestling, still weak as fuck just not quite as skinny...

6/23/09 8:32 PM
NCAA92
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChrisPayne - at 6'8" it seems like the ankle pick would be a good move for you to work on

First I would say basketball :)   Head snap to front headlock to anklepick. Or underhook series
7/1/09 2:22 AM
ECC170

Yes Underhook series is what I was thinking ^^^^ Jack one side up and skys the limit one you get your shorter opponent on their tip toes...Hell a knee pick would be easy for you with those wings...
7/7/09 10:15 PM
CRLpromo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a cousin your size. he does personal pretection work.
He uses sweeps,reeps, and trips.
overhooks are your calling card your guarenteed to be taller than 90% of you opponents.
Gokor Chivichyan is a Judo and Sambo master he has stuff that would be perfect for you. Check him out. www.Gokor.Com
7/28/09 3:49 PM
RUSRedDevil
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

snatch singles too!!, knee picks awkward positions.
8/7/09 3:37 PM
cld53

I always appreciate threads on this topic as I am very tall too. My wrestling is absolutely terrible and am always trying to find advice that helps me improve.
8/19/09 10:49 AM
Ajm1218
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Front head locks, easier to get when your tall and really tough to counter when done properly.
8/19/09 9:05 PM
ocianain

Edited: 08/19/09 9:07 PM
Gene Mills has some great stuff, lots on youtube.comhttp://www.genemills.com/genetube.htmGo for trips and ankle picks, look up Cael Sandersons stuff on youtube, he's a great ankle picker, lots of good info in one/two minute snippets.

Consider buying these videos, tons on info at a great price, the Russian 2 on 1 series is great! Really they all are:

http://russianwrestling.net/

No I'm not affiliated with any of these guys at all
10/1/09 3:11 AM
FingerorMoon
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you mistype something?
How can you be 6'8" and under 85kg ?!

I'm 6'2" and 85 and am a skinny bastard.
10/1/09 9:30 AM
Bunnymonster

Marfan's Syndrome...

I'm also on the "live in Japan" diet, I ballooned up to over 100kg while I lived in Australia last year...

I make 85kg while dieting and have (and will again) cut to 77kg for a day before weigh-in assuming I care enough to go through hell...
10/1/09 9:39 PM
FingerorMoon
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have that? bummer

Dude I'm Australian. Next time you're down here its BBQ time. We will fatten up and NOBODY WILL CALL US SKINNY AGAIN! :)
10/2/09 1:01 AM
wrestlerguy04
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you quick or kinda slow?? Average? How long have you wrestled? Russian to a single or knee pick. Low singles. Anything from an underhook. Snap to front headlock, then from the go around (if you are quick enough and have good positioning), or you can snap to a front headlock from the shuck the head to a single. Arm Drags. Defensive wrestle. Downblock to a throw over single. Downblock to shuck the head single. Biggest thing I would suggest is tying up the hands/arms. Being so long that would work like crazy depending on your experience and skill level. Really being long and tall you have so many options, depending on various things though, such as: quickness, skill level, experience, how good your hips are and how quick they are. It's, in reality, a bit easier IMO to be longer if you know what your doing. It's so hard to wrestle a long guy if you aren't long as well.
10/2/09 10:18 PM
Bunnymonster

I'm fast, like molasses...

I've been "wrestling" for getting on for 5.5 years now, but I've still not really come to terms with it as it's own sport. It's getting better but I feel like I need to dedicate a year or so to training just wrestling, rather than doing some sparring 2-3 times a week as part of grappling.

Having a fair amount of success at the moment jacking people up with underhooks and then dropping down for the single or double leg...
10/3/09 1:17 AM
wrestlerguy04
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah definitely underhooks and hand control. Tie up the hands then armdrag or elbow pass single or high-c or double. That's what I would personally be doing. Or wrestling defensive to front headlock. Does that all make sense or should I find vids?
10/3/09 4:01 AM
Bunnymonster

Makes sense, in theory. Just need to get good enough at doing it. Doesn't help that most guys are a lot more powerful in the upper body than me, making arm drags and grip fighting less fun than they should be...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.