UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Great Books Colleges?

8/14/04 9:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
oblongo
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Aug-04

My nephew is interested in attending a college that has a Great Books program. (I know. Our family has tried to get him to study something more useful, such as sociology.) Anyway, we know of St. John's College and Thomas Aquinas College. And St. Mary's College of California and Notre Dame, the College of Thomas More and the William O. Douglas Honors College have great books majors. Does anyone have any idea, which of these programs is best? Are there others he should be looking at?
8/14/04 11:17 PM
marck
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Aug-04
St. John's College looks cool to me. That would be an awesome education!
8/20/04 12:04 AM
RobRPM2222

Edited: 20-Aug-04
Great Books colleges are OK to a degree. they're absolute poison for someone trying to get into the sciences or engineering, though. there's a reason undergrads don't learn calculus via reading the Principia Mathematica or fucking around with Newton's notation for limits, derivatives, integrals, etc. who would you rather have doing your science research, someone who is effectively a historian of science student or someone who is dealing with modern methods? also, I don't think those tasteless faygots count "The Feynmann Lectures in Physics" or "The Art of Computer Programming" as classics yet. fuckers.
8/20/04 10:39 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got about 1/2-way thru Feynmann's autobiography 7 or 8 years ago. Unfortunately, I misplaced my copy before I could finish it. :-(
8/20/04 11:59 PM
marck

"they're absolute poison for someone trying to get into the sciences or engineering, though." I don't see how it would be "poison"? It may not help much, but it sure wouldn't hurt. Second, you'd have to be a complete fool to enter one of the Great Books programs with the intention of becoming an engineer as a result of that education. Sort of a straw man.
8/29/04 1:06 AM
RobRPM2222

Edited: 29-Aug-04
"I don't see how it would be "poison"? It may not help much, but it sure wouldn't hurt." so would not doing anything. mostly it would make the majority of people give up on the idea of doing science fairly quickly. "Second, you'd have to be a complete fool to enter one of the Great Books programs with the intention of becoming an engineer as a result of that education. Sort of a straw man." lol, that's pretty much true, but I've heard of Great Books schools seriously touting themselves for science... no joke.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.