UnderGround Forums

Chris Brennan >> Question for Chris

8/16/04 11:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jonpall
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Aug-04

...and for those that train with him, or just about anyone that wants to chime in... I asked this question a long time ago on the BJJ forum and got several different answers, but out of curiousity, I want to ask Chris or his people this question, as they have good no-gi experience: I sometimes run into a problem when I'm trying to armbar guys from the guard, without the gi. They simply RIP their arm back and away. What kind of grips should I use for the armbar so that this doesn't happen as often? Cheers, jonpall.
8/16/04 8:07 PM
jack2oc

Edited: 16-Aug-04
really tight ones!
8/17/04 5:39 AM
jonpall

Edited: 17-Aug-04
I'm going to try to answer this one myself, actually. I've been experimenting with a lot of setups for this move and after thinking hard about which setups have been working the best for me, I came to this conclusion: First of all, I almost always want to go to the "high guard" before armbarring, i.e. one leg over the shoulder, both arms inside my guard. There are several different grips that are good for climbing to the high guard, but the ones that have worked best for me all have one thing in common: ONE OF MY ARMS IS GRABBING BEHIND MY OPPONENT'S HEAD. That's it. So I can f.ex. grab a wrist and the head. Or cross grip the elbow and the head. That's just the grips. I'm not going to talk about setups. Here's an exception to the head grabbing "rule": There is another type of armbars that has sometimes worked well for me, and that's simply underhooking a leg and swinging my leg over my opponent's face. It's like how Fedor armbarred Coleman, f.ex. And how Enson armbarred Couture. Here, I don't grab the head and I just lightly hold the arm somehow. But my hips come out and up very fast and that sometimes does the trick. It relies more on speed and surprise than using the high guard, though. Carry on, people... :)
8/17/04 3:24 PM
howsyourhead
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Aug-04
I would say work on keeping your legs clamped down tighter and pinch your knees more. I may be wrong but I try to let my legs do more of the work. Climbing to high guard as you called it definately works for me if I am trying to slowly climb up leaving as little space as possible.
8/18/04 10:50 PM
JB

Edited: 18-Aug-04
I submit a lot more with chokes, kimura, or legs, but I'd suggest high guard like Brad said, and I grasp at the back of the tricep of the arm I want (but also think about the triangle on the opposite side if they pull the arm out too aggressively, and I can grasp the other arm......but then again I get most of my arms on top from underhooking as I cross North/South.
8/19/04 4:32 PM
Jimmyeatspoo

Edited: 19-Aug-04
Use the Glock technique and go for the double-tap
8/30/04 6:02 PM
WestsideStrangler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Aug-04
Figure four the arms or again climb to a higher guard. Gripping behind the tricep also helps the armlock be much deeper as well.
8/31/04 5:24 AM
jonpall

Edited: 31-Aug-04
Thanks!
8/31/04 7:40 PM
howsyourhead
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Aug-04
The man has spoken, I have to say, I have never met/trained with/or been trained by anyone who can explain things so thoroughly. Thanks CB!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.