UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> NYC Camp...Thanks Coach!

8/18/04 10:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
taroson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Aug-04

Hello all, Just wanted to drop a quick line about the Combative camp in NYC. It was a truly awesome experience from start to finish. I met some incredible people and had a wonderful time. As always, Coach twisted and pulled and expanded our minds with his uncommon sense. I am still absorbing all the things I learned. This trip I was inspired by the way Tony continues to refine the system. As always, I was amazed at how much I knew, but didn’t know. It is really something to watch Tony apply the concepts and principles of the system he has created in a dynamic form. For instance, watching Tony do the x-axis shin kick was great. But when he explained to me that, of course, the outside 90 rule applies equally to the arms and legs I was blown away. “Bingo.” Light bulb moment. Regrettably, it is easy to take the system for granted. Everything Tony has put together has been isolated, pressure checked, drilled, and then applied. Nothing exists in theory. Everything has been tested again and again, and continues to be refined. When we are handed the formulas in something like the PDR Manual it is easy to think, “Yeah I knew that already.” But did you isolate, pressure check, drill and then apply your ideas in dynamic form? It has taken Tony over 20 years of blood and sweat to give us these recipes for success. Something to think about. Truly, there is more to less. Anyway, thanks to Tony, the Team and all the great people at the camp. I can’t wait to do it again. Take Care, Mike Suyematsu
8/18/04 10:30 PM
TSA

Edited: 18-Aug-04
I agree with you Mike. The camp was an unqualified success, kudos to Coach Blauer and lead A.I. Mulligan. Speaking for myself - I gained insight and refinement for the CQF, a deeper understanding of the rear strangle, and new drills and skills for multiple assailants and weapon protection. The demos and explanations where the clearest and most concise I have seen to date. Now that could be just that I am getting better at hearing and seeing :-). The development the first time attendees was impressive. A tribute to Coach, the staff and the system. It was also great to see and work with Coaches Jason Dury, John Goodman, Mike Suyematsu, Joe Skovira. There is no subsitute for face time with Coach Blauer. The PDR experience just gets better and better. Tom Arcuri
8/19/04 7:09 AM
Sean Mulligan

Edited: 19-Aug-04
Firstly, I just want to thank Coach Blauer for the experience in NY...this camp superceded it's predecessors in all areas. I also want to recognize the new coaches, Jason, Joe and John, who for the first time participated at a new level...you guys did great and it's a prime example of how the PDR Coaching process can work for those who wish to progress with the company. Tom and Dana Arcuri did a fantastic job of assisting again. For those in the area, you've got to get out to one of the PDR hosted seminars at their academy. Mike Suyematsu is one of the oldest, time wise and age, PDR Coaches in attendance and contributed greatly with his knowledge and personal experiences on and off the fighting platform. It was a combination of the above efforts, Tony's research and dynamic instruction as well as the attendance eager new students including author Barry Eisler and those returning for additional training that made this such a success. The location in downtown Manhattan didn't hurt either :) Sean Mulligan
8/19/04 11:13 AM
sirrotty

Edited: 19-Aug-04
Tony Wanted to let you know how happy I was with camp. I found the re-view of the x-axis shin kick the best refresher for me this time around. A while ago I heard you were considering Las Vegas for this last camp. When I heard the venue was NYC I was dispointed. In hind site I am happy you went with NYC. I am not usually a fan of big cities. I have never been to NYC before. even with my tight schedule Nick and I managed to get to the statue of Liberty and ground zero. I am patriotic in the first place, with recent experiences and after seeing all that i have a re-affirmation about a lot of issues. the run and workout in central park was another highlight. when i return for good i will be starting up a very active PDR program in Manitowoc. summertime will include a run through or to washington park here followed by drills and scenarios. i must confess i do not read much. I am a pretty straight forward knuckle dragger and was skeptical when i saw an author was coming to camp to speak. Hats off to Barry Eisler. He exceeded my wildest expectations. I liked his message - it hit home on many levels. Your addition was enlightening. You don't talk much about personal stories that are not directly combatives applicable, its nice to hear the human triumphs and hard ships of Tony. It answers questions for all of us about how you got to where you are today. lastly I keep looking at the changes made to the PDR team. I am very pleased, I feel like i now have a level of clarity which allows me to make goals and plans and begin working towards them. I had just begun to have more sucess teaching some PDR classes in Liberia. Mostly to women working for NGOs (non-governmental organizations), the men there on the other hand are pussies. anyway, i will continue with what i started in liberia with a renewed passion. I am already looking at what to do in Manitowoc when my tour in Liberia is over. I was unexpectedly scared when i came home. Lots of changes, some fears about what i will remember about my "previous" life and how to re-integrate into it when i am done. One of about 5 comforts i identified is i will be able to keep myself busy immersing myself in coaching PDR. It will help me as much as others, funny how things come around. Last thing, I am not a sports guy. quite frankly don't care at all about football, basketball, or baseball. Always looked with animosity at some of those players, dumb as stumps, mostly thugs, making money they don't deserve (not fair assesments i know). Coaches in my high school were not ideal role models. My role models were cops, EMTs, and close relatives. Therefore haven't always been real comfortably with the coach title or the psychological connections in my head. The movie "Miracle" of the US hockey team, and your addition to Barrys speach caused me to look at the term Coach more positively. here it is with a different meaning and energy behind it "thanks coach" Later - I have a wife to spend time with Jason
8/20/04 8:37 AM
Yoda777

Edited: 20-Aug-04
I have been many seminars in the past 15 1/2 years as a cop. It doesn't matter what the material is, the dynamics and energy of the class always comes from the instructor. There have been few good ones, however, if you haven't experienced the explosive, dynamic energy in a BTS class, you haven't tasted excitement! Manhattan itself is to me, a southern bred youngin', a large exciting place in itself. Too much to take in all at once(hmmm... which is similar to any BTS course I've been to:-)). But to find yourself in Central Park in the middle of one of the busiest Cities in the world, and to forget where you are because the energy and information of a class has you so self absorbed....dripping sweat, tired, hungry, thirsty, but to hell with the break 'cause these snapshots training moments in time are worth are worth the discomfort. It's hard to put into words! Getting to see what goes on behind the scenes for the first time at a PDR was also eye opening. Contrary to any other thoughts, the energy just keeps moving after hours with debriefs, plans for the next day, and more working out. My hat goes off to Sean, Tom and Dana for the level the course is at now. It was great getting to work with the 'old man'(Mike) and Jason D., and Joe. Coach said not to gush(in public), but in truth, the PDR and BTS has changed not only my professional life(cop) but personal as well. The System is ever evolving and gives you the confidence to trust yourself. Thanks again folks, see you in the near future, John G. in NC
8/23/04 6:02 PM
JDDynamic

Edited: 23-Aug-04
Huge waves of kudos and appreciation to Coach, Sean Mulligan, and all the BTS staff for a great Camp this year in NYC. Echoing John G's thoughts, it was a great experience seeing first hand what goes on behind the scenes at a PDR event. Working with Mike S, John G, Joe S, Tom and Dana Arcuri, Sean Mulligan, and of course Coach Blauer was a fabulous experience. As I've told Coach after many of the sessions I've been to, each time I go to a course I learn something new (even if I've learned it before) and all it does is reinforce my desire to learn more and that the program is the best around. It was great to meet new people, see friends from previous courses, and make contacts with a group of people who are ALL enthusiastic and hard-workers. Seeing new versions of drills we've worked at previous classes (even if the previous class was only a few weeks before) is awesome. In business companies that don't adapt perish and fold. It is invigorating to be a part of a combatives system that constantly improves upon itself because of the experience of its participants. Now if only we can all have Coach's poise under pressure when the police show up to ask us what the heck 40+ guys are doing in Central Park working combatives..... As for face time with Coach, for those people who haven't worked one-on-one with him, you are missing a skill-building and tactically altering experience. Amazing what can be communicated and experienced in such a short time. See you all when I can. I'm getting married September 19th, and we may be moving to the Northern Virginia / Washington DC area by the end of the year. I might be out of the training box for a bit, but I sure hope not! Jason Dury
8/25/04 2:56 PM
Paul R

Edited: 25-Aug-04
The combative Camp in NYC was a tremendous experience. I first became interested in the SPEAR system a few years ago and have since purchased many of the training tapes. However, the camp was my first live experience and it was everything (and more) than I expected. Coach Blauer and his team were very professional and provided an excellent atmosphere for learning. The SPEAR system has changed my entire view and philosophy of martial arts and "real" self-defense. I look forward to attending more training sessions in the future and will continue to study the SPEAR system. I would strongly recommend anyone who is interested in true self-defense to attend one of Coach Blauer's training sessions. It will be an experience you won't soon forget. Paul R.
8/29/04 4:05 PM
Naso

Edited: 29-Aug-04
I have to agree that the camp was FANTASTIC. There were many good people there. I would like to thank Coach Blauer for sharing his knowlege and insights of close combat with all of us there. I would also like to thank Mike Suyematsu, our group's Coach. His ability and LIKEability was great! Thanks to all of the Coaches for making a GREAT camp! My "light-bulbs" -outside 90 applies to x-axis kick -extensors CAN overcome flexors Thanks again! Strength & Honor, Naso Karas

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.