UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Masters vs no masters

8/19/04 12:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bluce Ree
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Aug-04

My wife is an elementary teacher currently working towards her masters. We recently had our first baby and the masters work has become very stressful on her. I f we were to move in the next 5 years, do you think she would have an easier time getting hired with or without a masters? She has 10 years experience teaching. A big part of me thinks she should just quit the masters and enjoy our baby more. What do you guys think? Thanks
8/19/04 4:20 PM
benchwarmer
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Aug-04
masters degrees = success. whats she going to school for?
9/6/04 10:20 AM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Sep-04
where I went to high school teachers with masters degrees made alot more like 15 or 20,000 more than teachers without them. And teachers with JDs made even more than teachers with one with masters. I think the breakdown was like 65,000=JD, 50,000=masters, 30-40,000=everyone else
10/3/04 7:53 AM
jscorbett
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Oct-04 07:54 AM
I really don't think that having a masters will necessarily help your wife get hired again as much as having a good record and references will. The m.ed. should help her paycheck, depending on what state she works in. In Georgia, a doctorate level teacher makes over $10,000 more annually than a bachelor's level teacher. This at the beginning level of the pay scale, it gets better with years of experience. I teach in a critical field and jobs are available without many applicants, so it is a different situation for me. Elementary teachers have alot of competition for jobs. If your wife wants assurance of being hired, have her earn a m.ed. in a critical field like special ed. I earned my m.ed., ed.s., and ed.d. prior to our having kids. I would be going nuts, too, if I had to do it while I had kids and I am sure it is much worse on a mom to do this than a dad. However, if she must teach to retirement, tell her to stick it out, the extra money will help the family. good luck, james corbett, ed.d., 16 years of teaching experience
11/13/04 10:05 AM
MikeSwainFan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Nov-04
judo-bjj-dvd.com
it will be yours for life...go for it!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.