UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Setting up your guitar

2/28/07 11:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-07
Nope, it was setup with 11's and I haven't changed the gauge. Haven't changed strings for a while either come to think of it;.
2/28/07 1:27 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dryness could be a culprit(shrinking fingerboard/forward neck bow) creating too much relief. A good 12" metal straightedge would help you get the relief in the neck just right. If you can't gt one in time, use the high e for a reference and adjust the truss rod to leave a gap of .005 to .010 at the 8th fret when you fret the high e at the first and 15th fret simultaneously. I'll check back to see if you need a walk-thru on the set up.
2/28/07 4:13 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you kind sir. On a semi-hollow body like this should I loosen the strings before attempting that, and do you think if I put a humidifier in the case for two days will it help return it to where it was or have no result?
2/28/07 5:38 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I would try the humidifier first just to establish that it isn't too dry. That way adjustments you make after should be more stable. I would certainly loosen the strings on any guitar that I was TIGHTENING the truss rod. I might loosen the rod under full tension if it seems to move easily. I don't know how many guitars you've tweaked like this, but they each have their own "feel" to the truss rod. You're stronger than it is, don't break it.
3/5/07 12:29 PM
DasBeaver

Edited: 05-Mar-07
Hey RX, Jut thought I'd let you know that I put a hunudifier in the case for two days and the buzz went away, its a miracle! Thanks for the tips. Now what can you do to help me not play like shit?
3/6/07 7:04 AM
Racer X

Edited: 06-Mar-07
"Now what can you do to help me not play like shit?" I've been practicing for you for the past couple months. Haven't you noticed? ;)
3/6/07 2:43 PM
DasBeaver

Edited: 06-Mar-07
Would you mind putting in a few extra hours? I really need the help. So far the only thing I've noticed is my right hand jerks up and down really fast for no reason?!?! j/k
8/4/07 10:04 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Aug-07
up
8/4/07 11:05 PM
Racer X

Edited: 04-Aug-07
"So far the only thing I've noticed is my right hand jerks up and down really fast for no reason?!?!" That's not practice, it's mastubation. Cut it out and get back to playing guitar.
8/6/07 12:59 AM
Fite
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Aug-07
Thank you gentleman
8/7/07 3:05 PM
Fite
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Aug-07
Master RacerX, i just purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus natural finish how well do these guitars typically come "set up" by Gibson?
8/14/07 2:26 AM
Racer X

Edited: 05/04/09 1:38 PM
On Floyd equipped guitars, I like to get the whole thing in tune and balanced, then play for a while with lots of bends and whammy stuff, then retune and repeat a couple times. Then I stretch each string and retune it before moving on to the next. Setting the fine tuners about the middle of their travel, I tune and lock down the nut, rhen fine tune. I seems to keep a Floyd in pretty good tune. Joe Satriani's tech says he tunes it up, clamps it down,THEN stretches the strings, unclamps, retunes, and then final tunes. Personally, I suspect this is an easier way to damage strings and maybe give up some string life for short term stability. But then, Joe didn't hire me to watch his flock, so maybe they're on to something. When I saw Joe in concert he was in tune and stayed that way, so I guess it works. 
2/23/09 10:52 PM
Fite

TTT for JFU
Fite

TTT
Fite

TTT for JFU
2/24/09 3:33 AM
Racer X

Holy ancient history,Batman!

Any new questions, ask 'em here. I'm sick as a dog, but I'll look in tomorrow.

Speaking of set-ups, somebody's getting a Strat and a Seagull back soon, playing sweet! ;)
2/24/09 6:18 PM
JFU
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/9/09 1:05 AM
whtblt4eva
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/11/09 10:26 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wasn't there going to be a picture tutorial on setting up a guitar :)
5/12/09 11:58 AM
Racer X

Shootozen - wasn't there going to be a picture tutorial on setting up a guitar :)

Yeah, there was. I erased a bunch of pics that I'd done for that accidentally. I'm going to do another for here and my website, but it may be a while. I'm rearranging the shop to allow more room for retail sales. Not easy in the dusty shop environment.

5/12/09 10:01 PM
whtblt4eva
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i <3 this thread. thanks for all the helpful info.
5/21/09 8:16 PM
The Hook

Well, this would have been nice to know before I shipped my guitar all the way across the country!

Awesome job, man! My guitfiddles are in great playing shape now!
5/23/09 11:25 AM
Racer X

Glad to hear it ,Hook. What do you think of the finish fix I did on the back of the neck? A little smoother,yes?

For those that don't know, Hook sent me a Strat and a Seagull acoustic a fair distance to allow me to set them up for him. I can't tell you how gratifying it is to have forum members show that kind of faith in me. I know it costs in shipping to get them here, so I give forum members the best price I can on work and go the extra mile on the job as well.  Thanks.
5/24/09 8:21 AM
The Hook

The neck is awesome! I had just always just ignored it and just lived with it, so this is definitely much better.

We'll talk about my '68 next.

Quick question on that. It has a Harley Davidson sticker on it (that's been there since I've known the guitar, about 15 years and I've owned it about 12 years).

I'd like to remove it, but it is a large sticker and I'm worried about bringing the finish off. The guitar's finish isn't in the best shape anyway, but I'd like to avoid having a huge, Harley sticker shaped hole on the top.

I'll post some pics soon.
5/24/09 3:53 PM
The Hook

Here are the two guitars that we worked on for me.

Strat

I put Rio Grande pick ups in it. This is the Muy Grande set.

My "invention". Recessed strap lock. I bent it a couple of times during gigs and I found out that if you recess it, it is much, much stronger.

Seagull - a little battle-worn, but it sounds great. It doesn't have that bright, Taylor sound, which is why I think I like it. It's different.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.