UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Setting up your guitar

5/24/09 3:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Hook
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's the Les Paul. I tried to get some good close pictures of the cracks in the finish.

It's in rough shape, but it plays and sounds great, other than the "demon".

I had some Alnico II's put in it and the store that installed them said that they grounded everything possible, but it still has a bad hum (even with "hum"buckers, go figure). They could only explain that it must be possessed.

The main damage at the bottom of the guitar near the jack is from when the previous owner had it drop off the strap and hit a concrete floor. Shortly thereafter, he installed strap locks.

5/26/09 12:33 AM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm, interesting guitar...

My first thought is that it has been refinished somewhere along the way. It's very white for a guitar with VERY yellowed lacquer over the binding, like a guitar that was oversprayed with white after the binding was masked off, leaving the yellowed lacquer on the binding and headstock face. If it hadn't been resprayed, it would likely look like the sixth photo's yellow spot all over.

That said, vintage value isn't the issue here so much as getting the sticker off. Bad news: If the finish the guitar was oversprayed with was also nitrocellulose lacquer, the sticker may leave an imprint. Even if the adhesive isn't reactive with the finish they still leave a "ghost" sometimes that won't come off, it has to be polished out, sometimes with ultra fine wet or dry paper first(1200-2000 grit).

I think I would go with warming the sticker GENTLY with a hair dryer, like six inches to a foot away and keep it moving. If you spread your fingers right on the sticker while you heat it and don't get it too warm for your fingers, it should loosen it up enough to start lifting it.

If that doesn't seem like it's getting anywhere, naptha and a Q-Tip, start at one edge and apply a small amout of naptha and start lifting adding a little more naptha as you go. Don't smoke while doing this or you and your guitar might go up in flames.
5/26/09 9:21 PM
The Hook

Do you know what could be causing the humming issue?

It was a local music store that did it (about 12 years ago) and they couldn't figure it out.

It's annoying and I know that if I do any recording with it, it will become a headache.

Thanks for any input.
5/26/09 10:58 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have access to a volt/ohm meter you can confirm that all things that need to be grounded are. You should get a dead short between the the chassis's of all the controls, the strings/bridge/tailpiece, and the screws that hang the pickups. If not, there may be a missing connection. A cheap Radio Shack meter will do fine, best if it has a setting that emits a tone when you have continuity.

This is what it should look like with Duncan's installed:

www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php

Make sure the green AND bare wires from each pickup are grounded to the back of the volume pots.

It is possible to have too many ground connections. "Ground loops" can act as antennae for picking up hum,buzz, mexican radio,etc.

Pickups should be grounded to the volume pot or switch that controls them. It reduces the chance of a loop.
5/27/09 11:07 PM
The Hook

Racer X -  If you have access to a volt/ohm meter you can confirm that all things that need to be grounded are. You should get a dead short between the the chassis's of all the controls, the strings/bridge/tailpiece, and the screws that hang the pickups. If not, there may be a missing connection. A cheap Radio Shack meter will do fine, best if it has a setting that emits a tone when you have continuity.

This is what it should look like with Duncan's installed:

www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php

Make sure the green AND bare wires from each pickup are grounded to the back of the volume pots.

It is possible to have too many ground connections. "Ground loops" can act as antennae for picking up hum,buzz, mexican radio,etc.

Pickups should be grounded to the volume pot or switch that controls them. It reduces the chance of a loop.

My brother is a good electronics guy, so I'll have him look at it.

I was kinda enjoying the Mexican radio, though.
5/28/09 10:51 PM
Racer X

9/7/09 11:47 AM
Racer X

ttt for the hell of it.
9/8/09 9:36 PM
The Hook

XXX

for Racer T

Oops!
10/4/09 11:14 AM
Mitch Rommel
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread. I have had neck issues with guitars in the past and want to get good at setting them up.
7/21/11 2:02 PM
Racer X

To The Top!
7/22/11 10:24 PM
goodandevil

ttt
7/28/11 2:18 PM
Dajuisher
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt, just bought a 91 MIM strat, needs electronics, so thanks!
7/28/11 6:52 PM
Montana Moe
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool thread. I have a handful of electrics collecting dust, Kramers, Charvels, Ibanez that I should probably start selling. Too lazy to ship the fuckers and think Craigslist people are shady Phone Post
7/28/11 6:52 PM
Montana Moe
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool thread. I have a handful of electrics collecting dust, Kramers, Charvels, Ibanez that I should probably start selling. Too lazy to ship the fuckers and think Craigslist people are shady Phone Post
7/29/11 11:31 PM
Dajuisher
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Montana Moe -  Cool thread. I have a handful of electrics collecting dust, Kramers, Charvels, Ibanez that I should probably start selling. Too lazy to ship the fuckers and think Craigslist people are shady Phone Post
Which Kramer do you have? 

BTW, sprayed some contact cleaner on the pots, good as new!

8/1/11 7:19 PM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Master RacerX, i just purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus natural finish how well do these guitars typically come "set up" by Gibson?:

They come set up fine, however the intonation is done at dealer you bought the guitar from. Any other Gibson questions you may have let me know

Ry
8/1/11 11:28 PM
Racer X

RyPuhnie - "Master RacerX, i just purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus natural finish how well do these guitars typically come "set up" by Gibson?:

They come set up fine, however the intonation is done at dealer you bought the guitar from. Any other Gibson questions you may have let me know

Ry

They come set up fine? On what planet?

The majority of retail stores don't have someone competent to deal with basic set up, much less the common idiocincraties of the average Gibson electric.

8/2/11 12:05 PM
Racer X

RyPuhnie, why would you make a blanket statement like "They come set up fine"? For who? For what string set? Is that my gauge? Is the first fret high as it is on MANY Les Paul Studios? Does the guy that sets intonation match octave harmonic to 12th fret and that's it? So many players down tune now, is it set up fine for them? If they want to use bigger strings can they damage their guitar, for example, cracking the corner off the low E side of the nut by switching to 10-52 strings(a VERY common change for the low tuned metal guys).

No, they do not come set up fine. Some do, many do not. After years of doing Gibson warrenty service I feel pretty confident saying so.
8/2/11 4:57 PM
Georbraham Linkington

I've never had a guitar setup fine from either guitar center, eBay, new, used, from anywhere. I always have to start from scratch and set it up the way I like it. IMO you got to really spend time o and with a guitar playing it the way you play it at your tuning with your string gauge, and with your style to tweak it right, nobody from gc or Gibson fender, the local music shop is gonna spend enough time with the instrument to get it any wheres near it's sweat spot in all categories.
8/2/11 8:16 PM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Racer X, not sure if you were confused by the question asked. Do they come set up fine from Gibson? In fact they do, as well as any other major guitar maker. Do the come custom set for your string preference and play style no.

Will it be as good as paying someone over 100 dollars to have it set up. No. No company will offer that. Do they come from Gibson after being ran through the plek machine, set up for height and played at the end by a QC inspector. Yes.

Im really confused by your statement honestly....will it be set up if you higher the gauge of string? Of course not. But out of the factory the Gibson is set up fine and ready to be played.

Any other Gibson questions about the product or the build please let me know.

Ry
8/2/11 8:22 PM
RyPuhnie

Edited: 08/02/11 8:22 PM
"Is the first fret high as it is on MANY Les Paul Studios? "

lol....wow you must be hustling people out of some money on that BS. The plek machine is dead on. You can fool some people on this forum but not me.
8/2/11 11:58 PM
Georbraham Linkington

All les Pauls are ran thru a plek?
8/3/11 12:05 AM
Racer X

Tell me, exactly when did Gibson start putting every LP Studio on a PLEK?

Gibson has two PLEK machines. They used them on CUSTOM SHOP Les Pauls at first, now also on the CUSTOM SHOP SGs.

Any human with a six inch ruler can show you the first fret issue I speak of. Your lack of knowledge of this speaks volumes as well.

Once again, read slowly now, Gibson guitars come from the factory with hit or miss set ups. If you want a factory set up that is legit to play right out of the box, try PRS, Music Man, or a guitar made by ME! ;)

Oh, by the way, me hustling anybody. 
Fuck you straight through the heart,Jack.

PS So what is your credential to answer any and all Gibson questions?

8/3/11 12:31 AM
Georbraham Linkington

Shit just got real!
8/3/11 11:43 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thread!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.