UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Setting up your guitar

8/3/11 1:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dajuisher
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*grabs popcorn*
8/3/11 5:31 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heh, don't get too excited,Dajuisher. Pissing contests on the SoundGround aren't my style.

I'm sure there is an apples and oranges comparison going on here, I'm just not sure where.

I know Gibson PLEKs guitars. As far as I know, since 2008.

Not surprisingly, Gibson made some guitars before they got a PLEK.

Having leveled the frets on many a guitar, many Gibson's among them, I have found that a great way to improve the action on some Gibson's has been to:
adjust the neck VERY straight, using the fretboard, not the top of the frets as reference.

remove strings and simulate string tension.

level frets

notice that on some Gibsons the first fret takes a few strokes of the file before the 2nd,3rd,4th take any.

polish frets,string, adjust nut slots for newly lower first fret.

enjoy the playability one expects of a Gibson.

This is a recurring thing I've noticed for roughly 20 years.

You don't have to believe me. If you have any brand guitar, a 12"and a 6" machinist's ruler(from any decent hardware store) and a tool to adjust your truss rod, I can talk you through checking your guitar for level frets. Having the kick ass ruler that reads the fretboard is a plus, but not required.

In the past I theorized that the reason for this repeating phenomenon was the fretting of the fingerboards prior to their installation on the guitars. I know this was done on Gibsons, but I don't know when or if that practice has changed.

8/4/11 1:57 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not getting into a dick waving contest with anyone, but in my experience the Gibsons come out of the factory with the action noticeably higher than typical at the nut.
8/4/11 1:11 PM
Dajuisher
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Racer X. I just bought a fender strat MIM that I am working on. I am thinking of replacing the standard tuners with the Fender locking tuners:

I have these same locking tuners on my American Deluxe, which work great, but I am not sure what will happen since they are staggered. The American Strat Deluxe headstock that I have accomodates for the stager without a string tree, but the Standard Strat has the standard string tree. Do you think putting staggered tuning pegs on the standard strat is going to be a problem in any way?

Staggerd on a Deluxe: (the one in the picture obviously has a string tree)

Should I have to adjust the bridge after this change? Maybe I will get the same string tree as the one in this pic.

8/4/11 1:27 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The staggered post height will certainly take pressure off of the string tree,reducing friction. You souldn't have to change it unless you want to for cosmetic reasons.

I prefer the tone with a string tree in most cases. Without it, even with staggered posts, the reduced pressure on the nut seems to affect the note envelope of the treble strings to me. I like the set-up in the pic you posted. Without a string tree, the nut slot on the G string needs to be cut precisely to concentrate pressure on the fingerboard edge of the nut. Otherwise, the lack of headstock-side angle can cause a tweezy,sitar=like tone when played open.
8/4/11 10:07 PM
Dajuisher

Racer X -  The staggered post height will certainly take pressure off of the string tree,reducing friction. You souldn't have to change it unless you want to for cosmetic reasons.

I prefer the tone with a string tree in most cases. Without it, even with staggered posts, the reduced pressure on the nut seems to affect the note envelope of the treble strings to me. I like the set-up in the pic you posted. Without a string tree, the nut slot on the G string needs to be cut precisely to concentrate pressure on the fingerboard edge of the nut. Otherwise, the lack of headstock-side angle can cause a tweezy,sitar=like tone when played open.
Cool, thanks! Ordered the parts.

8/11/11 12:13 AM
Racer X

Hmmm, no response from the "Gibson expert"?

Guess he's busy playing his PLEKed Les Paul. j/k

8/11/11 4:41 PM
Racer X

Nah, this(the SoundGround) is the closest I have to such a thing.

Not that much of an internets guy except here.
8/11/11 5:16 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This has been the best thread in many a weary SoundGround year...
8/12/11 12:26 AM
Racer X

Ah, that would explain his complete failure on this thread.

He goes on ignore the next time he addresses me.

Thanks for the heads up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.