UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> New BJJ/sub wr club in west Tokyo

8/29/04 8:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SendaiMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-04

If you want info on a new bjj/ submission wrestling club in Mitaka/Koganei area contact me at tlovemanjp@yahoo.com I am a purple belt with Ohga sensei from Newaza world and have also trained with Dean Lister for a couple of summers and Roy Harris and Darby Darrow in San Diego. You may have seen me down at sss or at crosspoint gym around Tokyo or with sou jiu kai or RockPile in the Sendai area. Taryn Loveman
11/3/04 10:34 PM
SendaiMMA

Edited: 03-Nov-04
11/3/04 11:01 PM
SendaiMMA

Edited: 03-Nov-04
In response to many questions I just wanted to add some more info to this post. 1) The class takes place in my private dojo which is about 22 mats. The walls are padded as well. The surface is Swain mats. 2) Currently I teach three times a week with both kid and adult classes. The kid classes are almost full or waitlisted depending on the age group. I might be adding kickboxing and/or cardio kickboxing and also possibly yoga to the available classes in Jan. 3) There is a commercial treadmill, stationary bike, benches, scale, and a full set of dumbells from 5 to 100 pounds available for use. There is also a bowflex. 4) I teach in English but I can speak enough Japanese to get points across and even tell you how to get to the dojo on a good day. I can even throw out some Spanish if that is helpful to anyone. 5) I have a shodan in Aikido (13 years of experience), I have trained for four years in Tae-kwon-do I did several years of kickboxing, and curently coach middle school wrestling (and teach third grade)in Tokyo. I am a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I train with gi and without gi and am happy to work with MMA style fighters or straight jiu jitsu guys. 6) My strength is that I am very good at teaching basic technique and helping individuals incorporate it into their practice. My teacher was very methodical in his approach being a SWAT officer and I have adopted his tendency in this regard. In terms of sparring I have been to many clubs both jiu jitsu and groups of pro/mma guys both in Japan and The States and have done pretty well. 7) For more info please contact me at tlovemanjp@yahoo.com
11/4/04 12:35 AM
robhaywood

Edited: 04-Nov-04
replied to your email rob
1/8/05 4:24 AM
powerhockey17

Edited: 08-Jan-05
If you are ever in need of an instructor to help you out, contact me at: powerhockey17@hotmail.com
1/17/05 4:47 AM
SendaiMMA

Edited: 17-Jan-05 04:48 AM
powerhockey17: My club is new just started in September. I'm not to the point of needing more instructors. However, I taught a team of high school kids when I was teaching at Tohoku International school and had several female students who competed in Tokyo tournaments. They would have really loved a female role model to help them. If you come to Tokyo please come by and train with us. Maybe I could hire you you to teach a seminar or help get some of the female kickboxing students to give bjj a try. I think you could create a market for yourself here but you would need to have another job while you built up your base of students and learned how to connect to the culture.
1/22/05 8:18 AM
powerhockey17

Edited: 22-Jan-05
I am investigation the whole idea of teaching English, just to get my "feet wet" so to speak.. I have a Co-worker who is also telling me that I should take some Japanese language lessons..
1/23/05 10:47 PM
SendaiMMA

Edited: 23-Jan-05
powerhockey17, Teaching English is a good way to get in but keep in mind the major chains have you at work during prime training hours. You may have already seen this comment on on eof the many English job threads. The JET program puts you at work during school hours. Since you are more interested in training/teaching than where the money comes from or job satifaction this might be a better option for you. In any case you could always set up a club on a weekend. Come teach Saturday at my place..... If you go with AEON or GEOS or NOVA try to get in TOkyo or Osaka or Omiya or Yokohama. These are big areas with many gyms. If you want to be the only club in an area you could pick a more remote location and then start something that was unavailable until you arrived. Good Luck. If you want to come then do it it is a very managable goal.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.