UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Ya'll Need some SFX?

9/29/04 11:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Sep-04

Cool forum, I just noticed it.

I work in post-production as a SFX editor/Sound Designer. I'm always looking for side-projects, so if you've got something cool to work on hit me up.

-Das

9/29/04 4:31 PM
asymmetrik
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Sep-04
Are you located in NYC? I'm working with a Composer now scoring my film and we're probably going to be bringing on a Sound Editor to take care of all the ProTools work and "sweeten" our final sound before going back to print. What type of project have you worked on in the past?
9/30/04 9:54 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Sep-04

I'm in Toronto.

I've worked on tons of different things, the biggest was an IMAX movie called the boxer (which really sucked - avoid it like the plague), assisted on superspeedway, a couple of tv series, a few made for tv/cable movies,  a bunch of indie films, countless radio and tv commercials (thats the bread and butter, hate to say it). Right now I'm doing some stuff for XboX and getting ready to start on an anime series.

Whats your film about?

9/30/04 12:05 PM
asymmetrik

That's great about the work you've been doing. So much is going on in Toronto. Doing an anime series sounds like a blast. My film is a short (20 min) narrative (grad film school thesis film) about repressed memory... Post-sound is my weakest point, luckily I have a great composer, but he's working in Digital Performer which doesn't talk with the Avid Symphony as well as ProTools does, so we're planning on taking everything to ProTools this friday. Is OMF going to be the easiest way to make these 3 systems talk friendly with one another? Thanks for any tips.
9/30/04 2:39 PM
DasBeaver

Yeah, you should be fine taking OMF's from the avid and digital performer. If you do run into any problems (problems?!?! With protools?!?!?) the best thing to do is have a backup plan in place, a timecode dat or da88, something you can transfer  your tracks onto with timecode and then transfer  to protools. One other thing you can do is save different versions of the OMF - some versions of protools will only see only see older omfs...stuff like that.

Good luck man, if you run into trouble I might be able to help out.

9/30/04 2:52 PM
asymmetrik

Thanks for the great advice! I'll definitely set up a few options just incase.
11/10/04 12:18 PM
DasBeaver

Edited: 10-Nov-04
I don't know how much of what I work on plays in the states, but pretty much anything from Imax to Tampax. This week and last week so far: SportChek, Rice Krispies, BMW radio, Harvey's, playstation, Molson Canadian, Budweiser, dodge caravan... I've been getting smoked.
11/13/04 2:39 PM
DemonClown

Edited: 13-Nov-04
Beaver, how did you get hooked up with that anime job? I wanna friggin translate anime, do you know any companies I could contact?
11/14/04 6:48 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Nov-04
I am interested in voice work and have a sister who is a big radio station DJ but haven't pursued it. Need to celebrate the return of my blue name so.....
11/15/04 1:12 PM
DasBeaver

Edited: 15-Nov-04
I can't help you too much with voicework, I think its pretty much who you know in the beginning. Lots of actors in the world... DC, this isn't a traditionl anime as its made in N America and distributed trough Disney. I know Nelvana does a lot of anime traslations, its supposed to be a tough job though. I talked to a guy who worked on Meta-bots for a while. Apparently the stories make very little sense when translated into english and pretty much have to be re-written to match the picture in a really short turnaround.
11/16/04 4:37 PM
DemonClown

Edited: 16-Nov-04
Interesting Beav, thanks for the information. I wouldn't doubt some of the plotlines and/or dialogue would need some tweaking/reconstruction...
11/17/04 4:22 PM
DasBeaver

Edited: 17-Nov-04
Whew, thats a tough one. IMO, its best if you can skip the courses and get hands on experience because entry level post production positions pay very poorly, and you have a HUGE debt to pay off at the same time. When I was looking for sound schools I remember the tuition being around $18,000 (Canadian). I lucked out in the beginning and got into a decent post place with no education or experience and worked my ass off. Unfortunately their are so many graduates looking for any type of work that companies can afford to pay you minimum wage and stick you in the dubbing dept. Video editors make considerably more than sound editors. Dialogue editors also make more. If you can weasel your way into a union shop you'll have it made. If not, the best thing to do is volunteer your time to learn the trade. Check out http://www.mandy.com/ they usually don't have great jobs, but lots of entry level positions to get your foot in the door. I'm sure someone has some better advice, I'm speaking strictly from my own experience.
1/19/05 10:15 AM
DasBeaver

Edited: 19-Jan-05
Thats a pretty big, vague request. How long is it, and what is it all about? ie: documentary, short film...
1/21/05 9:20 AM
DasBeaver

Edited: 21-Jan-05
I'd love to help you out but I'm just too swamped with work right now as it is. If your not in a big hurry I can probably do something for you down the road a little bit (couple of weeks maybe) I would recommend filling out the backgrounds with ambiences to help cover any rough spots in the dialogue and give it a bit more depth. If you have the capacity do whatever foley you can. You can buy individual sfx onlie from these guys if you need them: www.sounddogs.com Hmmm, without seeing it, its sort of tough. Just remember - every dog barks, every door squeaks, every microphone feeds back.
1/21/05 12:11 PM
asymmetrik

if you do look around for a sound designer, make sure they use Protools and not just Logic. Logic can't read OMF or AAF media (even though it says it does) and it's a pain in the ass. I edited on Avid but even FCP editors seem pissed because the FCP XML export/import doesn't seem to be reliable either... i really wish Apple would fix it.
1/21/05 1:48 PM
DasBeaver

Logic can't read OMF? Thats ridiculous. I have a lot of beefs with Protools, but at least with the newer versions its one small thing I don't have to worry about. I'm a big fan of Nuendo, I haven't tried it out in a post situation yet though.
1/28/05 9:20 AM
DasBeaver

Edited: 28-Jan-05 10:22 AM
Slick, when are you looking to finish this film? I'm still in the middle of cutting a tv show, but the video game I was starting on got pushed way back.
2/11/05 11:20 AM
DasBeaver

Edited: 11-Feb-05
Thats plenty of time, drop me an email when its ready and we'll work something out. dasbeaver@sympatico.ca

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.