UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Gyms near Machida?

10/3/04 12:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Solidus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Oct-04

Might be studying abroad sometime next year at Obirin University, which is in Machida. Anyone that is good with locations in Tokyo know if that is close to any BJJ/shooto gyms? I'd like to check out Yuki Nakai's gym, but I think that is in central tokyo. Is that so far that it takes over an hour on the subway? I'm not really in a rush for this information, I'd just like to try and plan out some options. Thanks for any help.
10/16/04 6:21 AM
dragonhead

Edited: 16-Oct-04 06:32 AM

There is Kiguchi Dojyo(Dojo) just near from Machida.
http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~wrestlek/official_E.html

Kiguchi Dojo is very famous wrestling & Shooto gym, has turned out many great shooto fighters such as Rumina Sato, Hayato 'MACH' Sakurai and Takanori Gomi.

I think they don't teach BJJ there. If you wanna train BJJ not wrestling, I'll search other gyms for you.

11/12/04 9:56 AM
xxxxxxxx
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Nov-04
Paraestra hachioji is near machida. good friendly relaxed environment, 2 blackbelts and a couple of shooto pros also train there. I train there 4 times a week, let me know if you need any other info.
11/22/04 12:11 PM
Solidus

Edited: 22-Nov-04
Paraestra Hachioji sounds good. I'll look into it if I go. I'm trying to decide whether I should try to join the judo club for the semester at Obirin, where I'd probably meet more people, or go to an mma gym where I'd rather train... You go 4x a week, so I'm guessing you like it there? Do they do everything, like gi, no gi, kickboxing, and vale tudo?
11/23/04 10:57 PM
xxxxxxxx
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Nov-04
Yeah, they do everything, main emphasis is grappling though. Striking/wrestling classes are taken by Hisao Ikeda who has fought at a very high level (shooto, vale tudo japan etc). Tomonari Kanomata trains there, he is a very promising shooto fighter. On saturday a few other shooto guys came to train including the 59kg champ (cant remeber his name). I just find that training at a smaller gym is better. Some of the bigger gyms around tokyo are a little impersonal and the quality of training isnt that great due to the number of students.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.