UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Almost lost my dogs...

10/4/04 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Elvis
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Oct-04

On the weekend we had to go to one of my girlfiends friends birthday party. It was a BBQ held at the beach. Her friend said that it was a dog friendly beach so we brought Daisy and Kirra with us. When we got there, Daisy ran over some poor sunbaker. I apologised from a distance (and in hindsight probably should have gone up been more polite). Well anyway, as the day went on, someone said "Hey there are Rangers up the hill" (the beach was at the bottom of cliffs). Next thing I know I'm being told to put the dogs on a leash. So I'm like, "oh do the dogs have to be leashed" and her friend is like, "No they're not allowed on the beach". To cut a long story short, when we heard the Ranger was coming down the hill we grabbed the dogs (we had 5 in total) and did the runner around the cliff face and along the rocks. It was slippery rocks and along a sheer rock face. The rocks ended, so there was no chance of getting off on another beach. So we ducked down behind some big rocks. The worst part was that it looked like the tide was coming in as well. We stayed hidden for about 45 mins while the Rangers patrolled the beach. Apparently they had come down both entrances to the beach (a bit of sting operation). They confiscated someone elses dog who was on the beach (a Lab). They came around and asked the people we were with whether they knew anyone with a border collie or seen one. They said they'd seen one, but it had left a while ago. The rangers even came around onto the rocks and looked along to where we were. Luckily the ranger was a lard ass and probably too lazy to actually make the walk out along the rocks. When they finally left we took the dogs and did the runner. It was pretty close. It looked like someone had made a complaint specifically about our dogs (since they were looking for the border collie). It made me wonder what I would've done if they'd caught us and tried to take daisy off me. Glad I didn't have to find out. Definitely made for an interesting day. Elvis
10/5/04 12:48 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Oct-04
Crap, can they just take your dogs like that? Were there any signs around or anything? Also glad i don't have to read about you being put in jail for KO'ing a couple of Rangers lol.
10/5/04 9:56 AM
Elvis
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Oct-04
I didn't see any signs going down to the beach, but they could've been there. Because I was told it was a dog friendly beach I really wasn't looking for any no-dog signs. I didn't think they could take your dogs like that, but they apparently did. I didn't see them do it (as I was hiding) but got first hand evidence that they did. My guess is someone complained about a "dangerous" dog and that would probably give them the jurisdiction to do something like that. Not really sure though. I don't think I would have KO'd them, probably just choked them unconscious... I'm not a bad person you know. Elvis
10/7/04 5:12 PM
wizbang
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Oct-04
Holy shit. It's not in dispute that your dog DID NOT bite anyone, yet they(it) can be taken from you? If someone wanted to be a dick, I could see a $50 no leash fine or something but not confiscation. Is Austraila commie?
10/8/04 1:49 AM
Elvis

Edited: 08-Oct-04
Apparently it was a $220 fine per dog (I had two dogs) that's why I was hiding. I wasn't aware that they could take dogs either. Regarding the Lab it's also possible the owner refused to give their name for the fine and that's why they took the dog. Also, since it's apparent the dogs were "reported" the person may have made a "dog attack" claim. I didn't speak to the Rangers so I really don't know what they were thinking or doing (other than looking for dogs). It still made for a very interesting afternoon... Elvis
5/7/05 1:22 AM
gakami
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-05
It's probably best to check the council website to find out what their regulations are re dogs on beaches. The council may stipulate that dogs are all banned from beaches by default unless stated otherwise. The "I heard that..." excuse isn't going to work with the rangers or in court unless the ranger you encountered was nice enough to give you a chance with a first warning.
5/7/05 3:30 AM
Elvis

Oh I agree and in hindsight I should have done that.  She was a local in the area and was adamant.  Said she always took her dogs there.  I didn't realise she had dogs she could hide in her handbag.  You live and learn.

Elvis

5/7/05 7:11 AM
gakami
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I didn't realise she had dogs she could hide in her handbag." lol hiding in handbag .. behind rocks .. nyeh same deal

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.