UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Practicing law in Japan?

1/17/05 9:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jan-05
mestregruber - yeah, I got uni jobs with a masters in law lol. Its for the tenured position that they get very picky and want you to have at least a masters in TEFL/ESL/TESOL or whatever other abbreviation they want to use (Some even ask for a DOCTORATE! lol) For part-time they "prefer" if you have it in ESL, but anything will do. They also look at if you have publications (I didn't officially, so used my thesis as a 'publication' to get in. once in then actually published the thesis at the uni Im at and viola, I now am published lol). They also like if you have previous uni teaching experience. But regardless of all the official hogwash, very often it comes down to not what you know but who you know. Once you get your foot in the door you get to know more people who can then recommend you for other jobs. I know of guys who only have a Bachelors and are working in uni's, guys without publications, or without previous uni experience. But to be honest with ya, having looked at your profile, I don't think you'll get in. You just look way too young and inexperienced ;-)
1/17/05 8:48 PM
mestregruber
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jan-05
Silk- I have seen some pretty well-paid Uni jobs here in Japan, and have a BA now. I am thinking about getting a MA and coming back to work here, and I was just wondering if it needs to be in TEFL or something related, or if I could swing a job with a more general MA. My profile pic is a couple years old now, I look a bit different now. ;)
3/1/05 9:30 AM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Mar-05
"Actually, I know some people who were hired directly out of law school as first-year associates by the Tokyo offices of American law firms. It is rare, but it can happen." It happens quite a bit. Average salary for a top American law firm in NYC for a 1st year associate is a little over $120K. I knew some guys who went to Japan for the same American firm and were paid about the same. These were the guys who loved Japan and spoke Japanese well and were well versed with Japan and its culture. If you want to take a Japanese bar exam and practice for a Japanese firm, you won't make shit compared to working for an American firm.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.