UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Any Hikers?

10/6/04 1:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Oct-04

It`s getting to be prime hiking/backpacking weather here in the Ozarks (no bugs/snakes/extreme heat) and I have the itch bad! Just got a bunch of new gear including a Eureka Tetragon ten, new Vasque boots, Jansport Internal frame pack, Peak 1 stove, and a bunch of other crap.. Trying to get in shape to do the Ozark Highlands Trail in a month or so (200 miles) then maybe the A.T or parts of the P.C.T.. Who else is into backpacking/Hiking? What kind of gear do you use? Light or comfortable?
10/17/04 1:50 PM
Gib
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Oct-04
I find light is comfortable. With a light pack you can dance across the rocks and talus slopes, you retain mobility and aren't near as exhausted at the end of a long day. Some day I'd love to hit the PCT, or the Trans Canada trail when we finally get it finished.
10/27/04 3:37 PM
Normal
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Oct-04
Where i am from it is called bushwalking. You definitely sound like a bit of a gear guy! You certainly have some great bushwalking country in North America, especially long distance walks, though i don't like the idea of bears rustling through camp! I like more basic lightweight stuff ie i walk in $10 tennis sandshoes (the legendary dunlop volley), nylon fly for shelter, crusty canvas pack etc. I personally view the cash to comfort gained ratio of most top brand gear as to high for general bushwalking. While i am here may as well, ask why do North American designed tents have the inner pitch first design? It seems absurd to my mind, i have heard interesting tales of people setting up inner pitch first tents in heavy rain.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.