UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Tell me about Kuk Sool Wan

10/7/04 6:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
321FullContact
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Oct-04

I am trying to decide what TMA to start in and have narrowed my choices down to Isshin Ryu, Kuk Sool Wan, or Wado Ryu. If any one has trained in Kuk Sool Wan please tell me a little about it. How functional is it, any weapons to be learned, difficulty of katas, how long does it usually take to get to black belt level? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you
10/9/04 9:25 PM
lkfmdc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Oct-04
Hapkido by any other name, is still Hapkido....
10/10/04 11:58 AM
Southie

Edited: 10-Oct-04
IMO..I would go with Kuk Sool Won.
10/15/04 5:45 PM
beernight
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Oct-04
Gary Goodridge does/did it?
10/15/04 8:57 PM
Jacob Lamb
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Oct-04
He said in an interview that he heard some guy in the area was training for the UFC, so he went in to train with the guy and beat him up. They gave him a black belt to represent them. The interviewer asked him "So we've never seen Kuk Sool Won in the UFC?" and Gary said no.
10/19/04 12:04 AM
yusul
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Oct-04
it has a lot of joint locking, katas, kicking and punching and weapons. probably similar to japanese jujutsu with more organized patterns. the only really unique aspects that i know of; some animal patterns instead of 100% it being karate like kata, palm strikes, and a different circular sword method. how functional? it's up to you; whether or not they teach you how to spar with a realistically resisting opponent (probably not), you might be able to find guys who are willing to spar or train a little harder. you might want mix in boxing hands as well. from what i've seen, the joint locking method is similar to hapkido.
10/21/04 12:21 AM
Bob&Weave

Edited: 21-Oct-04
The problem is with all these impractical techniques. They have so many variations of wrist lock techniques, clothing grabs, belt grabs. How often is someone going to grab you by the belt? To this day, I'm still waiting for someone to grab my wrist so I can use those Kuk Sool wrist locks. There are even techniques that employ Praying Mantis blocks against punches. Trying to catch a punch using a Mantis block isn't very practical. Simply, it ain't gonna work. As other Korean styles, it also has a lot of high flying kicks. I used to train under Kuk Sa Nim, Grandmaster's Suh's son in San Francisco until in 1993 when Royce Gracie and the UFC exposed these TMA guys and opened my eyes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.