UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Aikido

10/11/04 5:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TexasThai
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Oct-04

im having a hard time finding muay thai gyms that teach actual classes (i have been doing personal training for about 3 years now) but about 7 months ago i had to stop going to my trainers due to the fact that i could not afford it anymore.

$300 a month IS worth it, for the training i was getting but just coulnd't do it anymore, at least not right now.

the BJJ and Muay Thai gyms that i could possibly train at have NO classes around my schedule (11-8) i work.

I have a little hapkido training, not much at all, but i loved what i learned.

Bottom line is i found an Aikido school right up the street from where i live and they have classes that start at 6 in the morning, so i can surely find a class that i can attend in the mornings before work.

what are your thoughts on Aikido? Is it worth it? I am still going to be training Muay Thai, once i get my finance's back in order, but definitely want to learn some new arts...

sorry for the rambling..

thanks

TT

10/11/04 7:59 PM
jsteinmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Oct-04
What do you want to get out of it? As a quick answer: Aikido isn't going to help your Muay Thai very much. I spent 4-5 years studying Aikido, and none of it translated to my later Muay Thai training. Of course, you may have other reasons, that may or may not make it worth it.
10/12/04 10:58 AM
TexasThai
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-04

no im not lookin for it help my muay thai, my thai boxing is as good as its gonna get right now.....

i want to learn something new, something traditional.

what can you tell me about it??

TT

10/13/04 5:43 PM
jsteinmann

Edited: 13-Oct-04
If you've done Hapkido and liked it, you might like Aikido. I understand that they are fairly similar. Do bear in mind, however, that I've never actually done Hapkido, so I don't have a personal point of reference. Hmmm...what to tell you? You're going to start off learning basics. Specifically, you'll probably spend a lot of time going over the basic stance, footwork, and a lot of falling practice. Almost everything consists of two man techniques, until you start learning weapons. Aikido teaches Ken (sword) and Jo (short staff) techniques, but they're primarily used as a way of creating extended examples of Aikido principles. The Dog Brothers this ain't (not a dig, just illustrating the other extreme). In most schools, there's very little free play until you start getting near black belt. Even then, most schools will only want you to attack using "Aikido" style attacks. Some schools are a little more open-minded in their randori practices. Be prepared for meditation, spirituality, and people who believe in ki. Aikido has a very mystical background (the founder was QUITE religious), and that influence has affected those who train it. If you're not into harmonizing with the universe, be careful. You may find yourself annoyed. One last thing. Take care of your wrists, and be careful with them. More than anything else, what drove me away from Aikido was the fact that my wrists just couldn't take the twisting, compressing, and cranking anymore. I was literally in near constant pain. And I was 18-22 when I was training...it's not like I was an old man. If it seems like I'm knocking on Aikido at all, I'm not. I think it's a really beautiful art, and has some great teaching/training concepts. But it has it's downsides too, and you won't hear about them from most Aikidoka. I hope that helps. If you have more questions, please ask. I'm no expert, but I'll do my best.
10/13/04 5:59 PM
TexasThai

Edited: 13-Oct-04

j, thanks alot bro, i appreciate the advice, really the spiritual side of it and the meditation is what i was hoping for, im not looking to be religous about it, but deinitely spiritual, if thats way it comes at me...

TT

10/14/04 10:56 AM
Willybone
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-04
If you've done Hapkido and liked it, you might like Aikido. I understand that they are fairly similar.

The locks and throws are much the same, so those should transfer quite well. But, aikido doesn't do much striking, so you'll have to forgo kicking people in the head. :(
10/14/04 11:32 AM
TexasThai

Edited: 14-Oct-04

lol @ willybone..

TT

10/15/04 10:01 PM
jsteinmann

Edited: 15-Oct-04
If spirituality and meditation is what you're into Aikido is a great place to be. I would suggest doing some research into Ueshiba's history and beliefs...especially since he tends to get turned into a near diety by some Aikido people. Also; if you're interested, get Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere - it's one of the best books on Aikido out there. Frankly, it's one of the best books on any martial art out there.
10/20/04 8:53 AM
Willybone
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-04
I_Cant_Fight, that post rocked.
10/20/04 12:25 PM
Ogami Itto
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-04
I must second that. Best post on aikido I've seen round these parts.
10/21/04 2:15 AM
theJJKid

Edited: 21-Oct-04
Was the other Aikido Tomiki?
10/21/04 11:51 AM
Worth

Edited: 21-Oct-04
What is Kokikai Aikido?
10/22/04 1:05 PM
TexasThai

Edited: 22-Oct-04

thanks for the info ICF!

TT

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.