UnderGround Forums

New York Underground >> legal status of mma

10/11/04 11:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
siouxNYC
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Oct-04

here's some unsolicited knowledge i will kick to you: section 8905(2) of the NYS Unconsolidated Laws is the statute that bans pro mma in new york. it reads: "No combative sport shall be conducted, held or given within the state of New Yorkm and no licenses may be approved by the commission for such matches or exhibitions." -the preceding section of the statute defines "combative sport" as a PROFESSIONAL bout other than boxing, wrestling and one of the sanctioned martial arts listed. -according to this statute (and numerous interviews with the athletic commission), amateur mma bouts are not banned in new york state. -amateur means the fighters cannot receive any compensation for their efforts. also, any trophies or prizes cannot exceed $35 in value. -according to this statute, grappling tournaments aren't banned either. a section of the Consolidated Laws governing Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) bans the sale of alcohol at a venue where either a pro or amateur combative sporting event is taking place. -this means no booze can be sold at any mma show in NYS. -this law was put into effect because a promoter upstate kept having shows in bars and taverns where audience members would volunteer to fight.
10/12/04 10:12 AM
siouxNYC
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-04
more knowledge: assemblyman robert straniere of staten island has been pushing a bill (A04415) for the past two years that "requires the commissioner of education to adopt rules and regulations requiring the licensure of martial arts instructors and of any entity which offers martial arts instruction." straniere's # is 718-667-0314.
10/14/04 12:04 AM
MadeOfOlives
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-04
To the best of my memory, Strainiere is a Republican, and thus his bill will not ever get passed in the State Assembly. For those who are not huge followers of the State Government of NYS, the Assembly has a democratic majority, and no bills ever get passed without the express say of the Speaker of the Assembly, Sheldon Silver. So unless something terrible happens at an MA school during a slow News day, this bill probably willnot get past. ec
10/14/04 9:08 AM
siouxNYC

Edited: 14-Oct-04
it's been referred to the higher education committee 3 times thus far, where it seems to get bogged down.
10/15/04 4:20 PM
lkfmdc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Oct-04
I personally called every member of the higher education committee last time and followed up with email and letters.... I never assume things are just gong to be "fine", I've already lived through the liquor authority making the athletic commission shut down EVERYTHING....
10/18/04 1:33 AM
Kashk
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Oct-04
ttt
12/17/04 4:52 PM
bloodyknuckles
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-04
Tobaccobymail.com

Sioux, I am trying to git it legalized on my Rez here in NYS...having a tough time, though.....

12/17/04 10:46 PM
siouxNYC

Edited: 17-Dec-04
give me the lowdown, bloodyknuckles. what are you going through?
12/20/04 2:04 PM
bloodyknuckles
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Dec-04
Tobaccobymail.com

trying to get some tribal members to make the big move and go for it.

its a fight , that we have to be committed to, and thats the trouble. i am the only one who sees its potential....using our federally protected rights to govern ourselves...but since MMA is obviously prohibited in NYS, some of our lawyers took the easy way out of work and advised the tribe against it...rather than fight.... lazy jerks....but I have my own lawyers who see it differently.

12/21/04 2:59 PM
siouxNYC

Edited: 21-Dec-04
i posted this on an old thread: McClanahan v. Arizona State Tax Commission, 411 US 164 (1973), and Williams v. Lee, 358 US 217, 220 (1959). these are US Supreme Court cases that will help you. they say, in essence, that if the tribe sets up an athletic commission to regulate mma, the state won't have a right to interfere. email me at "jimgenia1@yahoo.com" - i smell a potential story here for FCF.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.