UnderGround Forums

Iowa Underground >> iowa boys, where r u from?

10/12/04 4:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
warfrog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-04 04:50 PM

i am from a little town in southwest iowa called Diagonal, population 250, not counting the dogs. i now reside in des moines. where are you from? or live?
10/12/04 4:28 PM
Hawkeyefan

Edited: 12-Oct-04
Well, the warfrog knows but the others here don't... I'm from Centerville. Born & raised. Then I went off & joined the navy and lived in Chicago & San Diego before moving back and settling in the rough neighborhood of Easter Lake, on the very southeast side of Des Moines, near Carlisle.
10/12/04 11:23 PM
quik
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-04
Six Deuce Gear
Originally from St. Louis, moved to Ottumwa when I was 13. Trained muay thai with Jerideel Phanphongsane in Ottumwa while working at Wanna's Won Ton Inn. I've trained in tae kwon do (yay), muay thai, western boxing, kickboxing, and ground fighting with Clayton Miller (a little), Justin Brown, and Albert Newberry. I moved to Ames to go to college where I trained with a GJJ blue belt. Now, I'm training out of my garage in Ames, cuz I don't have anyplace to go.
10/13/04 12:25 PM
TimmyH

Edited: 13-Oct-04
Bettendorf. Home of the Bulldogs. Best football team in the State!!! By the way I'm better looking than all of you, especially Warforg.
10/13/04 3:05 PM
warfrog

you are better looking than warforg?
10/13/04 9:17 PM
chappie21

Monroe iowa here
10/13/04 9:19 PM
twinstealth

hey quik, I'm from Ottumwa and have trained with Albert and Clayton quite a bit as well. Not familiar with the guy you trained MT with however. Aside from a few bad examples here and there, Ottumwa is one hella fighting town. Thats just the way its always been I guess.
10/13/04 9:28 PM
quik
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Six Deuce Gear
twinstealth, Jerideel moved away (no green card) when I started school at Iowa State. Is there a good school down there now? We used to work out of a school gym on the south side of town. Yeah, Ottumwa is a pretty bad place. I don't know much about it anymore, I usually just hang out at my parent's house and get some relaxation...try to avoid problems that occur by going out to Scooters.
10/14/04 11:20 AM
twinstealth

Edited: 14-Oct-04
Training at douma huh? that was way back in the day...scott bradley trained there a bit i think. he's who got me started training with miller. I'm finalizing a fight with matt dorothy who I belive used to train at douma. No disrespect to him but i don't think its going to be much of a challenge. Just a record padder so I can fight some better competitors. I'm sure it wil be enjoyable for the crowd though. You should come to it; theres a ton of fighters from ottumwa on it(so bring the riot gear) including albert, shane frazier, scott bradley, jeremy martz and robbie adamson. As far as good places to train around here... alberts been teaching some of the boxers MMA; but i'm figuring that they wont let it interfere with boxing. Clayton is moving to a new place (still in fairfield) with a ring in it. And I was going to open a place near the downtown area but opted to rent a more expensive house instead closer to Hills. I do have a huge basement where with whatever fighting income i can draw here and there, I'll be padding the walls with and buying another wrestling mat and heavy bag (i have one of each we use now). Thats how it pretty much goes in Iowa though; if your serious you'll end up throwing down in garages and basements most of the time...lol. Miller had me in his 10 by 15 garage for my first year. What went wrong with the douma school deal? I also wonder what we could do at the highschool.
10/14/04 11:23 AM
twinstealth

LOL just noticed you worked at wannas...lol...used to go there all the time on lunch when i worked at Millard's Refrideration. btw...ive heard of a few guys from ottumwa going to miletich's on weekends. Planning on makeing a trip there for spring break myself...staying for a week or so.
10/14/04 12:55 PM
quik

Six Deuce Gear
Thats pretty sweet. I bet we know each other. My name's Craig. I quit going to the Douma deal after a few friendships went bad. I was friends with Dorothy and those guys, but haven't talked to them in awhile. I quit the Douma thing, thinking I was done with fight sports altogether, when I got back into muay thai. My boxing trainer for the last 3 years was Willie Sanchez, who either beat or dominated both Adamson and Martz at Iowa Golden Gloves. When and where are you fighting Dorothy? I'd really like to watch the fights. If nothing else and I can't get down there, I'll have Clayton send me a video of it and I'll put it on DVD for you.

By the way, tell Albert I said hi if you see him...its been too long!

later, bro

10/14/04 2:21 PM
NovakHT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cedar Rapids
10/14/04 2:34 PM
Madman

Bettendorf, Iowa
10/16/04 4:25 PM
beefyemt

Edited: 16-Oct-04
i was born in bussey, ia. not too far from hawkeyefan and warfrog. grew up in urbandale. now living in windsor heights and working in bussey..thank you for asking you friendly little frog.
10/18/04 9:36 AM
Hawkeyefan

Edited: 18-Oct-04
beefy - Welcome! I drive past Bussey everytime I head South on HWY. 5 towards C'Ville. I knew a guy from there - he was roomates with a good buddy of mine in San Diego. He was in the Navy and had an ex-wife & kid still living in Bussey I believe. This would have been about 4-5 years ago. I can't remember his name, he would be about 35 or so now. He lifted quite a bit and was pretty stocky. I know Bussey is pretty small but I don't know if my description will ring any bells.
10/18/04 7:29 PM
twinstealth

Craig: The fight is in oskaloosa at the state fairgrounds this saturday. its a bergmeir production. im thinking there are posts about it here somewhere. BTW my name is aaron, I used to bartend at bourbon street if you lived here around the time it was open. How do you transform VHS to DVD? Ive been wanting to make a short highlight video of my victories for promoters. I dont want to fight in Iowa forever and it would help me promote myself in other states; as well as up my selling value and give me something to put up on the bigscreen when i fight at a place that has that option available. If I could round up all my videos I would send you a money order if you have the capability of doing it. Don't know the Coffins WHITE, but where were you when I was trying to get my job back at that place? LOL
10/18/04 7:36 PM
twinstealth

quik: the post with details concerning the 10-23 osky fight are posted in the UG under "Iowa Challenge 10-23". check it out.
10/19/04 8:52 AM
NovakHT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Oct-04

small world gentleman..

I am going to Hawaii this week and Mac Coffin is going as well.We are in the same business--have known each other for yrs.

10/19/04 11:17 PM
beefyemt

Edited: 19-Oct-04
hey hawkeye..was he a carlson? not sure. in a town of 500 you pretty much know everyone though.
10/20/04 9:11 AM
Hawkeyefan

Edited: 20-Oct-04
Maybe. Everytime I think about it it bugs me all day because his name is on the tip of my tongue!
10/20/04 2:59 PM
warfrog

beefy is finally posting, how about that? good job training here lately lil buddy. how did you do against mini van last night?
10/20/04 3:01 PM
Miller

I am currently living in Fairfield but have lived all over.I call Cedar Rapids my hometown though I am related to one hillbilly on this thread,train one of them on a part time basis(although it should be fulltime) and trained one in the past. I just openned a new school in Fairfield last week for those who are interedted on hiway1
10/20/04 3:04 PM
beefyemt

well he tapped my 10 times in 5 minutes. i was pretty much winded just from tapping so much. how did he finish up last night?
10/20/04 4:32 PM
warfrog

i havent been to fairfield in years. i would love to come down and 'see' ya clayton.
10/20/04 4:33 PM
warfrog

Edited: 20-Oct-04 05:04 PM
he finished pretty strong i think. i dont think stamina will be an issue, i just got to get him onery and mean. he spends too much of his chi on the weekends it seems.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.