UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Bad C5-C6 Herniation Q & A please

10/23/04 9:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Oct-04 09:50 PM

Im going in Monday to get my pre surgury screening and labs appointment.

narcopuppy, your a better man than me... If I knew I had to do 5 months like I was, I would seriously consider killing myself!

On a side note I sat in on day 1 of the Renzo Gracie Seminar today... nicest guy in the world, made me feel like I was the most important guy in the room and all I did was watch!

10/24/04 6:09 PM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Oct-04
ttt for continued progress and updates from everybody.
10/26/04 6:10 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Oct-04

Well I'm going under the knife November 10th at 12:30 pm

I will be seeing my docter one more time the day before (Nov 9th) for the pre-screen and labs and stuff

I will be staying in the hospital over night so I guess the next post wont be until Nov 11th or 12th.

Until then...

Geo

10/28/04 10:20 PM
rvboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Oct-04
Good luck with your surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery. Give us some details when you get mobile.
11/1/04 4:15 PM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Nov-04
Good luck on the surgery
11/9/04 5:14 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 09-Nov-04
just got back from my pre-surgery appointment and I was assured all will be peachy as this is a really simple procedure and my comback is all but garanteed Hope to be able to type by Thursday! just wanted to tell all on the underground that if anything happens to me, I want you all to know i really don't like any of you!
11/9/04 5:15 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 09-Nov-04
LOL just kidding
11/10/04 11:33 AM
GaryG

Edited: 10-Nov-04
Cool. Keep us posted.
11/11/04 8:22 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 12-Nov-04 12:46 AM
well, just got back from the hospital a few hours ago. went under about 1230 pm wednesday and the next thing I knew it was 4 pm and i was post op! went smooth as glass but the doc said he pulled a MONGO herniation out of there. it was really pushing into my spinal cord so that when he pulled it out the cord was actually dented in! it stayed dented but he said by the time he was finished it was forming back to normal but it will take a day or so for the phantom pain to stop which is the nerve relaxing back to normal Boy these guys were really hight tec in there, i was hooked to a brain and spinal cord monitor, they even hooked a monitor to my voice box! They entered through the front right of my throat. insicion was only about 2 inches. they pushed my esophugus, jugular and voicebox over oneway and that big muscle that runs up your neck to the other and went right threw to the spinal colume. everything was done with scopes as he looked through the big headset. pretty neat. I was really queezy for the first couple hours after but not sick or throwing up or anything like that. I hadnt eaten since midnight before so i was really hungry, and they let me drink a cup of beef broth right away. By 7pm that night my throat and stomach were feeling good enough that they let me nibble down (over about 3 hours) a sliced turkey sandwich on white bread. I was fine queezy wise this morning and ate a big country omlette and hashbrowns. throat is going to be soar for a while tho. Thats the worst thing so far, my throat feels like I have real bad strep but the pain in neck and arm pretty much went away completly exept for the obvious soarness and stiffness that is customary with having a pretty serious cervical surgery! I did have a problem sleeping last night tho, I basically didnt sleep . Not from anything major, more just discomfort and not being able to find a comfortable position with this damn neck brace on. that is going to be the problem tonight also i can tell... probably next couple of days. But my recovery should be good and i'll only need to wear this soft coller with the velcro for the next 2 weeks. I have an appointment to get checked out on Tuesday I know this was really kinda vauge so go ahead and ask questions if your interested
11/11/04 8:24 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 11-Nov-04
One thing i think feels kinda cool is I get these rushes of sensation that feel like a wave going down my arm from shoulder to fingertips! it doesnt hurt its just like a wave... Like my nerve is saying "AAAAAAHHHHH! relief!!"
11/11/04 9:00 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 18-Mar-05 11:35 AM

11/12/04 12:54 AM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 12-Nov-04
Narco, hows your comeback coming?
11/12/04 12:09 PM
narcopuppy

Buff- Glad to hear your surg. went well. Prior to surgery, I made the mistake of reading horror stories of failed surgeries on the net. Caused a lot of needless worrying. I'm up to running 4 miles, and can do about 30 pushups before failure (way better than the 2 I could do a couple months ago, but still about half of normal). Feel like I'm getting muscle mass back in my right tricep, but still weak in right chest. Strength in my legs and back are about back to normal. I've avoided squats, deads, cleans etc. so far, though. Still have very stiff muscles in back of neck, and range of motion is about 50% normal. Doc says this should continue to improve. My next eval is on Jan 20th. If fusion is complete then, I will start rolling again. Right now I'm concentrating on getting back in shape. Best advice I can give is to walk and walk some more. Also watch your diet. Eat quality food to help recovery and avoid weight gain. Also up your protein intake a little because your body goes into a catabolic state for a period of time post surgery. I've been chugging skim milk like crazy. Want to make sure there's enough calcium in there to build that new bone. Also, save some of those pain killers for when you start moving around some more. You'll be pretty sore the first few times you resume old activities. Keep us posted on how it's going.
11/12/04 1:35 PM
BUFFGEO

Sounds good, good advice with the calcium load... im going to get ,milk right now! Good news is I slept like a baby last night, I was worried I woundnt but not nearly as bad as the night before. I'm sure being in my own bed helped tho Narco, ow long did it take for your throat to calm down. It really hurts to swallow and I swear if that goes away I would be almost pain free already
11/12/04 4:30 PM
BUFFGEO

of course go with what you doc said but if there is no disk or spinal impingment than it could be a spasming or inflamed muscle which is pushing on a nerve. that would subside as the muscle relaxes IF that is what it is

Rest and let your muscles relax befor eyou train again

11/12/04 7:13 PM
narcopuppy

Stormkaos- Do some reading on brachial plexus injuries. I'm no doc, but my understanding is that these nerves getting stretched can cause similar symptoms. Usually resolve themselves in a short time. Oh yeah. Next time, TAP! I know from now on I'll be a tapping little bitch to every choke or neck crank... Buff- Throat pain and hoarseness was pretty much gone in a week. Difficulty swallowing lasted about a month. Chew your food well and have water available to help wash it down. Still feel a little lump in my throat once in awhile. I was worried my screws were backing out causing the sensation, but x-ray at five weeks post-op confirmed everything was where it should be. Pretty much totally resolved now (about 2 months post-op).
11/12/04 10:48 PM
GaryG

Glad everything went well. Good luck to you all. Very cool posts Bgeo. Take care
11/12/04 11:57 PM
BUFFGEO

Thanks Narco, thats exactly what I was asking. I'm basically ALWAYS with a glass of water when i try to eat something.
11/13/04 5:50 PM
rvboy

Edited: 13-Nov-04
Wow great news Buff. Sounds like you will be back at it in no time. Keep us in the loop. rvboy
11/16/04 2:08 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 16-Nov-04 02:20 PM
Just got back from my first check up... 6 days after sugery. X-rayed me and everything is fine. I'm pretty much pain free now ecxept for the occasional cough or sneeze which isnt as bad as it was. just like narcopuppy stated above, my soar thoat pain SIGNIFICANTLY reduced suddenly yesturday and is almost completely gone today. Funny how it didnt slowly dissapate but kinda just... stopped hurting all of a sudden. still wont leave my glass of water to far away when trying to swallow something big yet tho as it is still sticky in there :) Doc took me off the collar and told me to start moving my head as much as I want/can up down left right. I am to resume day to day activities as long as its not something that will make me spin my head around while having an up and down jolting motion... like riding a dirtbike or snowmobile etc... was what he used to decribe. Stupid me I didnt ask this but I assume I can drive now. When my wife blurted out "So can he start lifting weights yet!?" as she pointed out the substantial size difference between my right arm and left arm... my doc just started laughing and started doing the "Whipped' sound while snapping his 'Air whip" all over the office! LOL i felt less than macho But he did say that i could do some easy light exercises if I didnt feel a strain in the neck area. In all honesty the best thing he cleared me to do was I can now get my incision area wet which means I can now take a fucking shower!!! thank god!!! I must say that 2 days ago I was feeling really crappy, sore, sick and was starting to get depressed about sitting in the house wondering if I was ever going to feel better, did i make the right choice, ect... But today i fell much much better, and already am sure I did the right thing. I'm glad i didnt wait longer. Next check up in 3 weeks, Dec 7th
11/16/04 9:08 PM
rvboy

Edited: 16-Nov-04
Wow you must be happy as hell!. Do you think you'll be 100percent at some point? What's the prognosis for a full training recovery?
11/16/04 9:38 PM
BUFFGEO

The doc said (even before I had the surgery) That I would be back doing everything i was at about the 6 month mark. He restated that again today and since he's got me off the collar and moving my head around already at the 6 DAY mark I feel he is probably correct Only thing is I have lost the movment granted by that particular joint (C5-C6). The movement is only about 3%-4% total of neck movement so... I feel that a 4% loss of range is hardly noticable if noticable at all so if thats the worst case I would personally consider myself 100% rehabed all joints have different ranges and depending on which one is (or how many) are fused depends on what your actual total loss of range will be tho. That is definatly one thing to consider about this procedure
11/16/04 9:40 PM
BUFFGEO

and yes I am happy as hell so far. I just hope everything keeps going right.
11/17/04 1:06 PM
GaryG

Edited: 17-Nov-04
Its great to hear one of us cripples is making progress. Go slow. Its only been a week. Take care and good luck.
11/17/04 9:52 PM
BUFFGEO

Edited: 17-Nov-04
Last night was the first night I tried sleeping without the collar and it didnt go so good. I made the mistake of skipping some of my pain meds also. I guess I got a little gung ho , but I paid for it. I didnt really sleep and wound up trying to put my collar back on at about 4am. woke up this morning with wierd feelings in my hand and started panicing Learned my lesson, took my meds, relaxed and am feeling better but I have to stop being silly... this is going to take a while

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.